FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Political survival

raaeft1
Recently two Indian politicians playing an active role in Haryana politics and heading a regional party shot in the limelight after a court awarded them 10 years' jail on corruption charges. The two politicians who are claiming to be innocent are going to appeal the judgment. However, the leaders of the regional party are putting up a bold face and trying to project before the masses that the two politicians have been ``framed'' by the ruling political dispensation at the Centre and in the State.

Interestingly, some journalists are projecting in the media that the politicians and their party are doomed, are in jeopardy and have no future whatsoever. In my opinion, the media should not make such superficial and biased comments. It is a historical fact that political parties may last and survive and flourish even if the ``top leaders'' are not there.
JoryRFerrell
raaeft1 wrote:
Recently two Indian politicians playing an active role in Haryana politics and heading a regional party shot in the limelight after a court awarded them 10 years' jail on corruption charges. The two politicians who are claiming to be innocent are going to appeal the judgment. However, the leaders of the regional party are putting up a bold face and trying to project before the masses that the two politicians have been ``framed'' by the ruling political dispensation at the Centre and in the State.

Interestingly, some journalists are projecting in the media that the politicians and their party are doomed, are in jeopardy and have no future whatsoever. In my opinion, the media should not make such superficial and biased comments. It is a historical fact that political parties may last and survive and flourish even if the ``top leaders'' are not there.

I have heard of this, but I'll read up on it and comment more later, but yeah, the media shouldn't inject personal opinions. It's not their job to provide opinion, and it's actually dangerous to get in the habit of doing so. Whether intentional or not, it places a bias spin on the news they are supposed to share.
JoryRFerrell
JoryRFerrell wrote:
raaeft1 wrote:

I have heard of this, but I'll read up on it and comment more later, but yeah, the media shouldn't inject personal opinions. It's not their job to provide opinion, and it's actually dangerous to get in the habit of doing so. Whether intentional or not, it places a bias spin on the news they are supposed to share.

**CORRECTION**
I meant to say that I have NOT heard of this. :\
deanhills
JoryRFerrell wrote:
Whether intentional or not, it places a bias spin on the news they are supposed to share.
Isn't there always bias though? Just the mere selection of which news to make the headline news, or what part of the story to edit out because of lack of space, what heading to use, what comes in the first paragraph, etc already makes it biased. Also, I more often than not have to try very hard to get the who, WHEN, why, what, where and HOW MANY in the first paragraph. News these days seem to have entertainment value, so we'll zero into how the witnesses reacted to the news, catch a few tears, or lots of anger, etc., and make a comparison with other events including historic ones. Probably why I prefer BBC London. It is not unbiased, but at least it has a slightly more stiff upper lip and traditional journalist writing and presentation style.
JoryRFerrell
deanhills wrote:
JoryRFerrell wrote:
Whether intentional or not, it places a bias spin on the news they are supposed to share.
Isn't there always bias though? Just the mere selection of which news to make the headline news, or what part of the story to edit out because of lack of space, what heading to use, what comes in the first paragraph, etc already makes it biased. Also, I more often than not have to try very hard to get the who, WHEN, why, what, where and HOW MANY in the first paragraph. News these days seem to have entertainment value, so we'll zero into how the witnesses reacted to the news, catch a few tears, or lots of anger, etc., and make a comparison with other events including historic ones. Probably why I prefer BBC London. It is not unbiased, but at least it has a slightly more stiff upper lip and traditional journalist writing and presentation style.

Well, yea...there is always bias, but the degree of bias can vary greatly. When a supposedly non-partisan station purposefully only supports one candidate, instead of covering facts about both, that is bias in the extreme. So, when I speak of bias, assume I am talking about avoidable bias. Bias which is intentional especially.
raaeft1
The BBC's coverage of world events is far better than many newspapers and TV channels.The bias may be there naturally but it should not affect the flow of factual information. News must not be garnished with personal opinions or half-baked truths or sheer lies.