FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

need folder encryption tool

badai
i'm using windows 7 32 & 64 bit.

what i need is:

1. just encrypt 1 folder and all sub folders and files under it. no need to hide it.
2. when ever i try to access that folder via windows explorer (not necessarily with other app, if that is possible, it is even better), it will ask for password
3. the folder will remain accessible while it is being access indefinitely
4. once the folder is no longer being access, it will be encrypted again automatically after few minutes (configurable)
5. if possible, apply to all users

now before you even begin, make sure you put a proper search parameters in lmgtfy so that i can get everything that i need in the first page of the search result, otherwise your post will be reported as violated:
Rule 2 (b),(d) and (h) in Frihost Forum Rules (http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-13011.html)

thank you.
Mr_Howl
Have you looked into TrueCrypt? It's not exactly what you are looking for, but it is very, very secure.

You could also simply put the folder in an encrypted zip archive. However, this is less secure since the files would have to be unzipped to a temporary location before you could use them.

Another thing you could look at is AxCrypt. I don't know much about it, but it seems like it may suit your needs.
badai
Mr_Howl wrote:
Have you looked into TrueCrypt? It's not exactly what you are looking for, but it is very, very secure.

You could also simply put the folder in an encrypted zip archive. However, this is less secure since the files would have to be unzipped to a temporary location before you could use them.

Another thing you could look at is AxCrypt. I don't know much about it, but it seems like it may suit your needs.

truecrypt too cumbersome. it deal with 1 whole partition (in file mode you see it as 1 separate drive). plus it won't auto encrypt without manual dismount or reboot. i will check out axcrypt and will let you know if it work (for me).

--------------------------------------------------------

axcrypt not practical to be use on multiple files/folders. it just encrypt file by file. it will decrypt file on the fly as you use it. but there are certain circumstances where you need another file to be decrypted too like if you run an exe file and that exe file store its setting in text file, but couldn't find due to it being encrypted. i need something like truecrypt that can "mount" the whole folder (not drive) once you access it, and encrypt it once you're done just like what AxCrypt is doing.