FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help with startup programs, my computer resets on reboot

ato784
Hey Guys!

At my place of work we use computers that reset after they reboot, since we let the public use them. They also reboot at midnight every day.

I want to be able to auto run a program at start up, but I don't know how to do this.

There is a "thaw space" that does not get deleted.

Does anyone know of a way to get a program to do this? I could probably get our IT department to just loan me a computer, but I don't really need one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
silverdown
The simple way is to add a shortcut of the program into the Start > programs > Startup folder.

The more complicated way is to create a registry entry to launch the program, however doing both methods at once will create a error since one will launch the program and one will error out saying it already running, unless the program allows multiple sessions to run then you will have two of the programs running depending on the program.

To create a registry edit which can be fatal to the Operating System if done incorrectly or create sluggish or slow startup or just really bad running performance

For instructions on how to create a registry edit see page

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Add-an-Application-To-Startup-Using-The-Registry-43488.shtml

NOTE: This is for windows operating systems only.
badai
u need to know what software that freeze the system, disable it, add the start up item then re-enable it.

other than that, hire a magician.
sysna
please explain this part a little more "that reset after they reboot" , by resetting them after reboot you mean by any reboot all user settings goes to default ? this can be done using specific third parties softwares , just as i don't know what exactly you want so i can not name any software but there are many software for example for deleting all user files on each restart.
ato784
sysna wrote:
please explain this part a little more "that reset after they reboot" , by resetting them after reboot you mean by any reboot all user settings goes to default ? this can be done using specific third parties softwares , just as i don't know what exactly you want so i can not name any software but there are many software for example for deleting all user files on each restart.

it seems to completely reset the computer to a default state, meaning that on some of the computers it says "hello this is your first time using microsoft word,etc" when they are rebooted.

any user changes are gone, the background goes back to default, and all files made on the system by users are gone.

also they set a schedule to reboot the systems around midnight