FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are marshmallows a sweet?

chasbeen
Are marshmallows a sweet? You can eat them raw and they are very sweet, but are they a sweet?
You can also toast them like bread by the fire?
I think candy floss is a sweet but I don't think marshmallows are?
Nick2008
I think you can classify marshmallows as sweets because they are practically pure sugar.
deanhills
I always thought they were sweets as they are in the candy section of stores, but I guess this must be a different marshmallow, i.e. one that is used for health purposes. That one I'm almost certain would not be sweet:
Quote:
Marshmallow (Althea officinalis) -- the herb, not the white puffy confection roasted over a campfire -- has been used for more than 2,000 years as both a food and a medicine. The Romans, Chinese, Egyptians, and Syrians used marshmallow as a source of food, while the Arabs made poultices from its leaves and applied them to the skin to reduce inflammation. Both the root and leaves contain a gummy substance called mucilage. When mixed with water, it forms a slick gel that is used to coat the throat and stomach to reduce irritation. It is also applied topically to soothe chapped skin.

Few scientific studies have looked at the effects of marshmallow in humans. Most of its suggested uses come from a long history of use in traditional healing systems. However, one recent study confirmed that marshmallow preparations help soothe irritated mucous membranes.

Asthma
Bronchitis
Common cold/sore throat
Cough
Inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
Indigestion
Stomach ulcers
Skin inflammation
Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/marshmallow-000265.htm#ixzz2JGE6bl2S
pauline123
In my opinion. Definitely a sweet. It is not a natural occurring food and it is mostly simple sugars and air. So I would definitely say it falls in the same category as cotton candy, regardless of flavor and color. Also it is usually found near the baking section that includes chocolate and chocolate is a sweet and so is toffee (usually found nearby, as well).
Nick2008
deanhills wrote:
I guess this must be a different marshmallow, i.e. one that is used for health purposes. Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/marshmallow-000265.htm#ixzz2JGE6bl2S

Maybe... but I don't exactly think you would take leaves and "toast them like bread by the fire". Laughing
twotrophy
pauline123 wrote:
In my opinion. Definitely a sweet. It is not a natural occurring food and it is mostly simple sugars and air. So I would definitely say it falls in the same category as cotton candy, regardless of flavor and color. Also it is usually found near the baking section that includes chocolate and chocolate is a sweet and so is toffee (usually found nearby, as well).

That is the reason why I agree that it is a sweet even though you can cook it over a fire. I was surprised that there is air in marshmellows. I have not eaten them for a very long time. Putting some in chocolate syrup would be great
chasbeen
I would like to try them in chocolate Syrip too
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
I would like to try them in chocolate Syrip too
That sounds gross! I find the marshmallows already too sweet as they are. They're not bad when added to hot chocolate or coffee, but chocolate syrup. WOW!
spinout
hm, rate it as poison instead...
jmraker
If the flavor and taste of a plain white marshmallow is either sweet, bitter, sour, salty and umami.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste
I'd have to go with sweet, unless it's rotten.
deanhills
jmraker wrote:
I'd have to go with sweet, unless it's rotten.
Rotten marshmallows ..... don't think I've ever tasted any. Very Happy