FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Classic Noobie PHPBB3 questions

Pande
Trying to install onto my site, so far I have:

- Unpacked phpbb3.zip from their website, august 25th 2012 download, and placed it in public_html. Renamed the extracted folder to "forums".

- Changed permission for config.php to 666 and also for the images/avatars folder.

- Created the mySQL database names. (not yet at the part where I can use these, though)

So, the issue is that I get an Interal Server Error when I try to navigate to the install directory. If do just domain.frihost.org/forums (i've been told it should auto connect to install.php) it gets this error. Same error if I try to directly connect to the install files. Basically, everything except my actual site index itself is not being loaded, but is being found (just an internal server error).

How do I get around this to install the script? Thanks
truespeed
Possibly changing the config permissions before the install,maybe you're meant to do this after install? Possibly the database can't write to the config unless it is 777 or something. I don't know for sure it has been so long since I installed a phpbb forum.
RosenCruz
I had the same issue with my WP installation. Make sure your config.php is writable. Let me know about the progress so I can help you further
Pande
Yeah, the whole config file thing is for after the installation, but just to add, 777 doesn't fix the issue.

To reclarify, I can't access the installer, it's not that the installer is failing.

Clearly it can find the files, but I get this server error like it doesn't know what to do with them.
truespeed
Have you put the files in the correct place,from what I remember frihost has a strange structure,it has public_html>Domains>Your domain folder

When I first joined I placed my files straight into the first public_html folder,nothing was showing naturally,it never occurred to me to click on and upload to domains.
Pande
Yeah, it's in public_html. that seemed like the 'root' of the site, altered by some script, since that is where my index.html is. I will try shifting it somewhere else, thanks.
Pande
Tried, still nothing. Can't find the files even now, so I moved back to public_html.
truespeed
I don't know then,you will probably have to wait for Bondings to check your account.
RosenCruz
What is your .htaccess look like? Can you post the contents of it here ?
Pande
Which one? I was trying to edit the one in cgi-bin last night, to enable PHP (should be default but it was worth a shot). It looks like this:

Options -Indexes +ExecCGI AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
Qantas94Heavy
Pande wrote:
Trying to install onto my site, so far I have:

- Unpacked phpbb3.zip from their website, august 25th 2012 download, and placed it in public_html. Renamed the extracted folder to "forums".

- Changed permission for config.php to 666 and also for the images/avatars folder.

- Created the mySQL database names. (not yet at the part where I can use these, though)

So, the issue is that I get an Interal Server Error when I try to navigate to the install directory. If do just domain.frihost.org/forums (i've been told it should auto connect to install.php) it gets this error. Same error if I try to directly connect to the install files. Basically, everything except my actual site index itself is not being loaded, but is being found (just an internal server error).

How do I get around this to install the script? Thanks

I've had a similar issue before - take a look at your Apache error log (if you have Directadmin, it'll be in Site Summary / Statistics / Logs for your domain). It may or may not have thrown something like this: SoftException in Application.cpp:249: File "/home/qantas94/domains/eyredaero.frihost.org/public_html/index.php" is writeable by group.

If that is the case (when I tested a file with permissions on 666), change all permissions of the files to 755 first, and if there are any further issues, don't hesitate to tell us.

If not, it could be another PHP or Apache configuration error. Rename your .htaccess file to something else to see if it is something wrong with your .htaccess configuration.

If none of these things work, just show us your error log (with personal info, if any, removed!) and we'll see what's the issue. Thanks!
Pande
Nothing in logs :S
Pande
Just a bump to this, as I have still been unable to figure it out, I would appreciate any help from experienced web developers or frihost staff. Thanks a bunch!

What I have:

phpbb3 folder, renamed to forums, inside of public_html. For the sake of consistancy, the entire forums folder was given both 755 and 777 (i.e. I tried both) recursively. No matter what, I can never access any of the files inside the forums folder.
truespeed
Pande it may help if you give us your URL.
k_s_baskar
i did't find any issues in installing PHPBB3 in frihost server. Check your file permissions again. Smile
truespeed
I installed phpbb3 as a test the other day,it installed without problems.
RosenCruz
I also believe this is a permission issue. If you still can not fix it, may be Bondings can reset your account Rolling Eyes