FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Have You Ever Heard About Vedic Mathematics?

Kashinilaya
We are so vain to believe that weve built the most advanced society ever. Sometimes we come across with revealing and astounding news that shake off our beliefs. Finding out the existence of a calculation system many times more efficient than modern mathematics, created thousands of years ago, makes us think of ancient societies much more respectfully. This millenarian system is called Vedic Mathematics. It is found in Vedic Literature, but as happened to most of Vedic knowledge it got lost across the ages. Thanks to a very wise Indian fellow, Jagadguru Swami Shri Bharathi Krishna Tirthaji Maharaja, or just Tirthaji for short, Vedic Mathematics got reenlivened some fifty years ago. It still surprises me that so many people have not yet heard about it.
Just to give a short example Ill show a little of VMs power.

If we want to multiply large numbers like 999,999 by 999,998 we could simply apply a VM rule for such a case and speak out the answer mentally (thats exactly it! No boring conventional calculation): 999,997,000,002. The trick is that for multiplication of numbers close to a base of ten (in this case, ten to the power of six) just cross add the deficiency (how much is the number away from the base) of one number to the other number, placing the result as the most significant figures, and vertically multiply the deficiencies, placing the result as the least significant figures. Confusing to explain in words, but here is a graphical hint:
(1st #) 999999 | - 000001 (deficiency, note the minus sign)
(2nd #) 999998 | - 000002 (deficiency, note the minus sign)

[either 999999 + (-000002) or] 999997|000002 [(-000001) x (-000002)]
[999998 + (-000001) ]

Piece of cake, isnt it? If you want to know more about VM, try the book Vedic Mathematics, written by the very Tirthaji, published by Motilal Barnasidass Publishers (can be found at Amazon.com)
There are also good sites for the topic: www.vmacademy.com
www.vedicmaths.org
S3nd K3ys
Oh. Shocked
Slammer
uuuh Shocked i failed maths Rolling Eyes
ocalhoun
I have discovered an even more advanced and efficient method.
Program a computer to do the calculation! That way you can get it done in a billionth of a second.
ChunkyBustout
It was to my surprise (only a few years ago) to find out that both mathematics and music come from old vedic scholars and that was a very long time ago. What I really think is funny is that most people, even many college professors teach about the origin of most arts and sciences as coming from Greek scholars. Laughing
hayley
I am absolutely elated to see topics about math swimming about. This is exceedingly interesting. I will do more research on this. I enjoy math far more than most things.
SunburnedCactus
hayley wrote:
I am absolutely elated to see topics about math swimming about. This is exceedingly interesting. I will do more research on this. I enjoy math far more than most things.

I find that seriously disturbing! Seriously! Eh?
Nameless
Huh. Funny thing is, I do that in my head all the time anyway. It's hardly diabolicaly clever or anything
dkbg
This is actually a very intriguing topic. I find math to be highly interesting in general. Unfortunately, I can't quite figure out the expressions you've made Kashinilaya, but upon referencing this Wikipedia article the concept is making more sense to me now.

Quote:
Huh. Funny thing is, I do that in my head all the time anyway. It's hardly diabolicaly clever or anything

Nameless, unless you have a vast knowledge of mathematics or are extremely intelligent, I just don't see how something like this could be apparent to someone. Now, I'm not saying that those statements don't apply to you, but you should just be more careful while throwing around implications of nonchalant mastery of a complex topic such as this and expecting other people to feel it is as simple as it is for you.
Nameless
dkbg wrote:
This is actually a very intriguing topic. I find math to be highly interesting in general. Unfortunately, I can't quite figure out the expressions you've made Kashinilaya, but upon referencing this Wikipedia article the concept is making more sense to me now.

Quote:

Nameless, unless you have a vast knowledge of mathematics or are extremely intelligent, I just don't see how something like this could be apparent to someone. Now, I'm not saying that those statements don't apply to you, but you should just be more careful while throwing around implications of nonchalant mastery of a complex topic such as this and expecting other people to feel it is as simple as it is for you.

Well, I don't really get it 100% (more like... 2% lol), but if I had to multiply those said numbers together I could do it easily (Round them and multiply, that's 1, 000, 000, 000, 000 then subtract 1 999, 998 and 2 999, 999s and 2).
Kashinilaya
Quote:

I`m glad you enjoyed the topic, hayley. If you like math so much and you master the English language, as it seems, please try Thirthaji`s book. It`s so amazing! You`ll find astonishing things like division without ever really need to divide. Beware of the available sites on the subject. Some are just joining the fassion, but don`t really master it. Try the site I suggested first. It has links to other serious sites on VM.
Enjoy!
mustaq
its totally indian stuff which is belong tovery much acient
karysky
Very interesting.

I study in engeenering and this might prove itself quite useful in the future.

I'll do some research on it.

There are many different kinds of mathematics and I find them all intruiging. Speaking of which, I've heard of a kind of math that bases its formulas on the hypothesis that a curved line between two points is the shortest way to get from one another. Not a straight line.

Quite intriguing isn't it? I'll do some research about it and get back to you.
johnabraham
i've heard abt it...its really powerful, u can do all sort of powerful calculations in ur head without the help of a calculater...i really want to learn it, it can be quite helpful in the course of ur work/life...there are many uses of vedic maths is life...
thiamshui
Uh.. New theory eh? Shocked

I failed my maths.. And hate it too..
Grimboy
I have to say, I do this in my head the same as Nameless. Its pretty obvious really.
sreenadh
hayley wrote:

all the best! must say that i really had a tough time ONLY in the starting part of VM but pls dont give up. Thats one hell of a mistake i did.

Even though i am not regular into studing VM, i do it to just relax. Its fun and really helps satisfy my hunger to blast my brain Very Happy .