FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Audio Formats

Which format do you use for encoding your Audio CDs ?
AAC
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
mp3
59%
 59%  [ 29 ]
mp3PRO
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Real
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Vorbis Ogg
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
wma
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
FLAC
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Monkey's Audio
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Other
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 49

.::idealist::.
Which compressed audio format is the best ?

I think it's Vorbis Ogg. [ www.vorbis.com ]

If you want to get full CD quality, you can use lossless audio formats like FLAC and Monkey's Audio. But files in these formats have more bigger size. It's your choice. I sometimes use FLAC for some Audio CDs.
Dillian
Mp3 rulaz.
Zibé
Musepack ( MPC ), is the best format for music files,
the quality is very good, and you don't have the "cuts" between
two songs when you write an album on a CD
SunburnedCactus
I use mp3 for convenience. But AAC has much better performance I think.
TeK
AAC is the best but I prefer MP4 format. Too bad only Itudes can read it though.
Josso
It depends... I like quality in music generally and I either rip CDs in M4A or WMA mathmaticly lossless (usually about 940kbps). The only problem is less people have Apples and some don't have Itunes either for M4A ripping. For compression however mp3 has got to be the best and most commonly used and compatible with everything.
Tom7
MP3, because it is universal, small file size, and is most common
darkdante
SunburnedCactus wrote:
I use mp3 for convenience. But AAC has much better performance I think.

yes........yes
4patlar
mp3 abi tek geçerim Very Happy Very Happy
tyxl
why there is no MP4?

mp4 is released atm so it's better then mp3
cause list isn't complete i didn't vote
olivier_1988
MPC is the best but it's not accept by the mp3 player like I pod i think and it's very heavy. But witch software do you use to writh an Album on this format?Nero? thks
idolztheunknown
I chose Mp3. Geese, where did these other stuff come from Question Exclamation
pll
I just like :
mp3
wma
or .wav
SunburnedCactus
idolztheunknown wrote:
Geese, where did these other stuff come from Question Exclamation

Didn't know birds had all the answers. Laughing
i.am.Ben
wma i think....
and i only use this format...
Very Happy
Grant_Weaver
Monkey's Audio is the probably the best if you want lossless sound.
GrimReaper77
I put my vote for MP3Pro because it's technically superior to MP3 while keeping approximately the same quality.

Now if I can get an mp3 player that understands the format....
mstreet
MP3 is the most used at the moment.
Postman
MP3 is good!
Aimewitue
i think ogg format is the best
very lot of my files are in this format
BioHaZaRD
I use AAC mainly because of iTunes/iPod.
gertjang
mp3 and wma: they are the most used formats at the moment and the only two my mp3player can play.
TeK
tyxl wrote:
why there is no MP4?

mp4 is released atm so it's better then mp3
cause list isn't complete i didn't vote
Yeah me too
thecosmickickstarts
Mp3 or Mp4.. I think they are certainly the most versaitile compression medium - and they are widley used and compatible with EVERYTHING. Which is so important! For exmaple, sure - Vorbis Ogg has much better quality - But can anyplayer play them? I'm not so sure Wink Please corect me if i'm horrible horribly mistaken Confused
hcjgh
mp3 is not the best but mostly used so i would say mp3 becouse nowdays everything supports it
Jeff_vella_leone
well i choose mp3 because my music are nearly all mp3, which means mp3 is the most comanly used and making a better format but cant be played everywhere doesnt make much sens.
mp3 format is good enough for quality and takes little space too thats y its so common to use. If u have a pc u don't have to worry much about format, usually u can download every player or convertor to ur most liked format so pc users doesnt have this problem much.
but mp3 rules world wide till more players (not for the pc like surround systems) can use the magiority of the formats and everyone would have one that supports all, its allready starting but for now its not so common at least surly not enough.
ruff_ryder
I can't really choose, since MP3 is the most "popular" format, and 99% of players support it. If this is not taken into consideration, however, FLAC and OGG and MP4 are the best in my opinion.
senan
Tom7 wrote:
senan
Tom7 wrote:
startsomething
.ogg all the way baby. It has just as much quality as mp3, its a quarter the size, and it's awesome. I love it. I couln't live my life without it. Ogg Vorbis makes media streaming possible on 56k!!!!!! Anything that has that power should be worshiped. Besides, as a computer musician, and freelance record producer, ogg vorbis is great because of small size and loopability. No clips or loop lag. By far the best ever.
Hippie
I'm going to have to go with mp3 right now just because its so widespread. While some of the lossless ones sounds better, if you're going to send someone something, you just have to go with mp3. Not to mention the size of mp3's are quite nice.
bull blood
Mp3 is best Rolling Eyes
Mc_EDO
I think wma is good for me cuz it have brilliant sound like cd quality but 2th.one is real Very Happy
.::idealist::.
Ooops, I forgot to add mp4. Embarassed

Mp3 is good but it's not excellent. It's just popular but popularity doesn't mean that it's excellent.

Ogg is being used in some popular games. List: http://wiki.xiph.org/GamesThatUseVorbis

And there are music players that supports Ogg. (Example: IRiver)

Get free music in Ogg format: www.kahvi.org
mnx12
aac, mainly because its what itunes and my ipod read.
tuncadogus
MP3 is Very very good Wink
ositedagalera
Well, all of my musics are MP3, because MP3 music is the findest music format on the P2P programs and I try leave all of my music with only format.

MP3 is very good
Cool Cool Cool Cool
ehunter
Depend on which player I plan to use, I go for WMA if possible, if not MP3 is the next choice. They are too popular format for many player. Very Happy
Subsonic Sound
Well technically, to encode my Audio CDs, as the question asks, I use CDA.

As do all of you.
picsite
I think MP3, jsut because its so commonly used.
prongs_386
wma for me, just because i like windows media player.... other alternative would be mp3
ItsWesley
I mainly use MP3, because just about everything supports it. I do rip at a high bitrate though.
mujastar
I prefer that my audio files be in .mp3 format, it is so much easier when burning a cd! Very Happy
Josso
Ok I've had some more thoughts for this thread. WMA is quite good but the encoding is impossible, that's why the size and quality is good... encoding is actually quite complicated in design. Take for example the very smart video format of WMV, a good balance of quality and size if you ask me. However, a ton of video converters have stopped supporting it due to massive problems with CPU consumption while converting and the complicated nature of the encoding itself.
kazikame
I prefer AAC, but sometimes when I convert stuff to MP3 (for various reasons), I forget to switch iTunes back to AAC, so it imports the next CD as MP3.
cghq
mp3 is great..... its got just the right balance between quality and file-size
Rosanova
GrimReaper77 wrote:
I put my vote for MP3Pro because it's technically superior to MP3 while keeping approximately the same quality.

Now if I can get an mp3 player that understands the format....

Hi there,

As far I know does the most mp3 players also reading mp3 pro, I haven't yet found examples where it didn't worked, even Ipod did worked with it and sonyericsson w800i.

Cheers!
arkebuzer
.::idealist::. wrote:
Which compressed audio format is the best ?

I think it's Vorbis Ogg. [ www.vorbis.com ]

If you want to get full CD quality, you can use lossless audio formats like FLAC and Monkey's Audio. But files in these formats have more bigger size. It's your choice. I sometimes use FLAC for some Audio CDs.

I have used mp3 for a long time now... But lately (last year or so) I have started to get the songs in ogg instead.
kikass
i used to have mp3s.. but now i have converted my entire collection to aac.. at 128kbps... amazingly small size for the quality... further my ipod, my cell, my hifi system and my foobar play AAC... so why not? Smile
pudovkin
As storage is getting cheaper and bigger everyday, OGG is a good thing for digital music.
The-Master
WAV FTW!
rfarrand
i use mp3 the most, but i am sure it is not the best in regards to quality and sound ... i am sure there is something else out there, that is better, mp3 just seems to be the closest thing to a standard in the music world, well and now aac seems to be taking over with apple/itunes using it and everyone using itunes...can we get a competitor...lol. just kidding. i love and use itunes all the time ... seems to be my favorite.
Coclus
I use mp3 it's sweet...
SimonWSTS
I use MP3 purely because it's fast, easy, reliable and is the most commonly used format so the most compatible with various mobile devices I wish to copy music to.