FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Would GB be better off without the EU?

Would Great Britain be better off without the EU?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

teno
Hey there.

This is mainly to the Brits but others may give their 2 cents as well.

David Cameron plans a referendum on wether to remain in the EU after the next election in 2015. Do you think Great Britain is better off without the EU? And if so, why do you reckon GB would be doing better?

Cheers,
T.
deanhills
Off the top of my head I'd say what happened to Greece, and may be happening to Portugal, Spain and Italy are good examples of the European Union not fitting all sizes of countries. Some of the bigger countries may end up "carrying" the not so well to do countries in the Union. And all of that funding comes at a price for the members. Perhaps the UK could use that spare cash to better advantage, unless many of its trading partners are members of the European Union, and it would put those trading relationships at risk.

I see one side of the European Union as a vehicle for your large corporations to trade in other countries and become LARGER. Not necessarily a good thing as I prefer a size that fits the country, such as if the country is an agricultural country such as Portugal used to be, it should not have to sacrifice its agriculture to meet the demands of the European Union.

I'd also say the European Union is a bit too bureaucratic for my taste as well.
Peterssidan
I don't know how this will affect Great Britain but I do hope they leave. I don't like EU and I want my own country to leave so if GB leaves maybe EU will start falling apart.
Nick2008
I feel like a lot of the larger, industrialized European powers would be better off without the EU, most notably Germany and Great Britain. The EU, at its creation and early years, was a fairly strong organization made up of well developed, economically stable nations - Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy, Luxembourg, Denmark, and the United Kingdom. A community like this would be strong and beneficial to all of the parties involved.

Ever since the European Union started adding in extra countries that were not as economically stable and that did not provide any benefit whatsoever, it started going down hill. Now, the European Union has really put itself in a hole and it'll be interesting to watch if they get out of it without starting to lose members.
RosenCruz
EU is now a dead project for me. I believe GB should run like hell. Only Germany is trying to perform sth in the Union, imho. I agree with Nick2008
Josso
Perhaps not economically but there is a danger of the EU being another corrupt megastate. I say let's get out while we still can, so we can have full control over our country again.

@Peterssidan
You might be right, I think mainly if Germany went they would be screwed. It'll weaken it though. Is Sweden the euro? That's what you really want to avoid (yes I know I could google it)
Peterssidan
@Josso
No, Sweden is not in the eurozone but neither is GB.
Josso
Peterssidan wrote:
@Josso
No, Sweden is not in the eurozone but neither is GB.

Ah I see, we should probably think ourselves lucky to still have our own currencies. Not that we should think of that as a privilege
LxGoodies
Dream on mr Cameron. GB better stay in. Else in 10-12 years, it will be a tiny little country surrounded by a big EU

btw Europe could very well be better off without the ever complaining English Twisted Evil

Lx
deanhills
LxGoodies wrote:
Dream on mr Cameron. GB better stay in. Else in 10-12 years, it will be a tiny little country surrounded by a big EU

btw Europe could very well be better off without the ever complaining English Twisted Evil

Lx
I don't think Cameron wanted to leave the EU when he made his speech. As far as I can understand he wanted to renegotiate Britain's involvement, and wanted to test how Britons felt about future involvement first before he proceeded. He did get what he wanted though as his referendum idea (for 2017 - in the dizzy future) did act as a poll of a kind. He'll be very careful now.
LxGoodies
deanhills wrote:
I don't think Cameron wanted to leave the EU when he made his speech. As far as I can understand he wanted to renegotiate Britain's involvement, and wanted to test how Britons felt about future involvement first before he proceeded. He did get what he wanted though as his referendum idea (for 2017 - in the dizzy future) did act as a poll of a kind. He'll be very careful now.

Sure Dean... all long term. This will keep bothering us for years to come.. and I wonder what the problem is with conservative prime ministers of Britain ? We had ms Thatcher, who "wanted her money back", then we had mr Major, who turned against the Maastricht treaty by denying support to the social chapter.. and now we have this bloke Cameron, who wants to negotiate a "new deal". In the Netherlands, we recently got rid of Euroscepic government, and now England starts the fuzz again. I wonder.. if this election-language of mr Cameron really helps to get Europe out of the crisis ?

Lx
handfleisch
Maybe the EU should avoid Britain. The EU is a success story. Yes there have been hard times, and yes the rich states carry the poorer one (just like in the USA), but overall the EU is going strong. Remember a year ago when everyone said the Euro might die in 2012? Didn't happen. Cooperation among states, while maintaining autonomy, is the way of the future. Britain might be too arrogant to understand this because it's still living in the past when it ran an empire, and it's unable to admit to itself that it got kicked out of its colonies. Also, Britain was instrumental in the massive war crime that was the invasion of Iraq, so it might be very dangerous to have Britain's influence in the EU.
kaysch
OK, here are my 2 cents.
Despite all the romantic thoughts of having been being a project to keep peace (which it surely is) over the past 20-30 years the European Union has turned into a project driven very strongly by European corporations and their interests to maximize the wealth in this part of the world. Which is basically the reason most European countries have made their choice to join it in one way or the other.

What are Britain's biggest corporations active in? Well, 5 out of the 10 biggest companies are active in energy (Shell, BP, Billiton, British Gas, Rio Tinto) with the others operating in the banking sector, consumer products, pharmaceuticals and so forth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTSE_100_Index

So in my mind it is very simple: if Britain remains inside the club it can participate in setting the rules actively. It will be taken more seriously by Chinese, Indian or Russian governments than it would be if it was just a government resposible for a couple of million people on an island on the edge of Europe.

No doubt the EU has its problems. But the solution to those problems can not be to go back to the 1900s, but to continue uniting and to eventually form a common big state, like the USA, China or India.

So I think Britain would be better off to stay inside the EU.