FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you know how to plant onions?

lovescience
Do you know how to plant onions?
badai
crazyfffan
I planted my own shallots, by putting them in the ground and wait. Onion might be planted similarly.
lovescience
Thanks!

I am going to start growing onion from seeds when weather gets cool.

I will wait for four to five months for these seeds to grow to onions.
grofet
Onion is quite easy to grow here. There are so many farmer growing onion in my country. Onion is used by many food as the ingredient. Most of food in my country use onion to make a good taste. Maybe someday i will grow my own onion field.
mshafiq
In my country also we use onion a lot in different dishes. In each and every dish we use onion.Our food is incomplete with out onion
tonberry
My grandmother used to plant onions and keep them on the windowsill. The problem is that she lives in the city and a polluted one too. It is never a good idea to grow edible plants when the air is not clean. For example, the recommended distance from metropolis to pick up nettle for any uses is 10km.
watersoul
tonberry wrote:
the recommended distance from metropolis to pick up nettle for any uses is 10km.
Which research or study did you glean that information from?
I would be interested in understanding how the blunt figure of 10km was decided, is this for a particular named metropolis or generic advice for populated areas?
tonberry
watersoul wrote:
tonberry wrote:
the recommended distance from metropolis to pick up nettle for any uses is 10km.
Which research or study did you glean that information from?
I would be interested in understanding how the blunt figure of 10km was decided, is this for a particular named metropolis or generic advice for populated areas?

I guess it's about making enough distance from polluted areas so that whatever is in the air is thinned out so much that it's safe. It is just a safe number probably, various cities will have different numbers, as London produces more pollution than a 1 million people city but probably pales in comparison to some industrialized areas with little inhabitancy but lots of factories. every situation is different, maybe the number was thrown because 10km from a heavy industrialized area is a guaranteed safety.

Another thing with picking up herbs that I didn't write about is to keep them as far from road as possible even if they are small roads that rarely see any traffic.
sunitazthreading
This is not for me
KneeDeep
When I was a kid I found that if I left an onion sitting with it's end in a class of water, it would sprout roots. Then I just planted it in the ground. I was never overly successful at this though due to the hot climate where I lived.
Insanity
That's pretty cool. I've always used onions in my cooking -- in fact, it's almost in everything I cook. They're so versatile and tasty and amazingly useful. If i could plant my own with little trouble, that's definitely cool. I'm looking into growing more things for my kitchen like basil, mint, and rosemary, but something like an onion would be cool if it doesn't take too much work.
LxGoodies
badai wrote:

Great video badai ! as a city person I really appreciate these instructions.. maybe one day, global anarchy will take over.. Cool better be prepared for that. Meeanwhile, I'll try a few in large pots. Maybe that will work where I live atm Razz
mshafiq
to grow onion is not magic.every one is growing and very essential part of our food.
jamesparker
Good to know all that...
Gregoric
Onions? Nothing easier to plant, I guess Wink As I do like to add chive (that's how the green, tall grass-like elaves are called in English, right?) to salads or potatoes during summer, I do usually have some onions planted in flowerpots near windows or in balcony. That ensures several pieces of chive to be tall enough to pick it every day.
DaphneyIT
Informative video, just what I was looking for.
mshafiq
Just put them under the soil and water them. You will see it works.
steeve
Onion is a main ingredient of Indian food. It comes in variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. It is easy to grow. Onion can grow from transplants, sets or seeds. It need a sunny, sheltered site in well drained soil. It is best suited for planting in the open ground.
tonberry
My grandmother used to plant onions and put them on her windowsill. The problem is she lives close to the center of the city, so her onions inhale an awful lot of things they shouldn't. It's not healthy to eat stuff grown in the city.
jajarvin
t is 1st of September but I am going to plant some onions today.
I hope it will be a warm autumn this year. If that not will be true, my onions will not grow up.