FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chess at schools?

Do you think chess should be taught at schools?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

codegeek
Some time ago, chess was made compulsory in Armenian schools. There they treat it as a Science as well as a game and receive chess education along with their other subjects. What sort of impact do you think this will have on the intellectual development of a child?

In my view, it's a great game to learn deeply, because it teaches one various qualities such as strategic thinking, planning, determination, dealing with losses, attitude towards learning, value of hard work etc. However, not everyone is interested in it. So, forcing it on everyone seems pretty drastic.

On the other hand, many students are not interested in Math either. But I think everyone will agree that it is a necessity. Are the values imparted by chess a necessity too or can they be learnt from somewhere else? Do you think chess should be taught at schools and should it be imposed as a subject or as a casual pastime available for those who are interested?
Afaceinthematrix
It shouldn't be a mandatory subject; it should be an extracurricular activity. My high school had a chess club that met after schools. I was both the president of the chess club and the strongest player in the chess club (which is why I was president; that was decided based on a tournament). I am a really good chess player and have seen the value of playing. However, there are plenty of things that are good for the mind and chess is just one of them. Why should kids be forced to play chess but not other mind puzzling games such as Go?

School should be left for teaching the necessities such as mathematics, science, language, etc. and extracurricular activities should just be encouraged by both the school staff and the parents.
Nick2008
I really like Chess as well as other board games that involve strategy. I don't think that students should necessarily be taught and required to play, but maybe at least be introduced to the game. In America, many schools have been cutting recess and replacing that time with more class time. Many pediatricians and experts have stressed the importance of free time or recess during school. If for some reason the school believes that running around and being kids is a waste of time because it's not educational, then at least they should consider using the time for strategy board games like Chess. It's fun and engaging but quite educational as well.
fuzzkaizer
Back in the old days a curriculum was just imposed on pupils, and they had to learn that stuff, no matter if they liked it or not. - nowadays it is different, but quite the same: the teachers shall animate the pupils to learn something, they shall show them, how learning something is cool and fun and... that is in short:
the teacher should produce some propaganda/promotion/brainwash/advertising campaign for a special subject, so that the consumer-pupils just cannot resist to learn it - and then those pupils might even think they are learning it voluntarily, by their own choice.
In fact they were forced into it without even realizing...

So about chess: Yes, I think it is a great game, good for most of the pupils to develope their capabilities. They should learn how to play chess, definitely. How do you get them to do so? I don't care, that is the teachers problem, isn't it?
loveandormoney
codegeek wrote:
Some time ago, chess was made compulsory in Armenian schools. There they treat it as a Science as well as a game and receive chess education along with their other subjects. What sort of impact do you think this will have on the intellectual development of a child?

In my view, it's a great game to learn deeply, because it teaches one various qualities such as strategic thinking, planning, determination, dealing with losses, attitude towards learning, value of hard work etc. However, not everyone is interested in it. So, forcing it on everyone seems pretty drastic.

On the other hand, many students are not interested in Math either. But I think everyone will agree that it is a necessity. Are the values imparted by chess a necessity too or can they be learnt from somewhere else? Do you think chess should be taught at schools and should it be imposed as a subject or as a casual pastime available for those who are interested?

Chess is very good
for learning self confidence.

Special women like that game.
Peterssidan
I don't think chess should be its own subject but it could be a small mandatory part of a bigger subject such as math. Or it could be a special day, or something. It's a bit similar to what you would do when having physical activity on the schedule except chess doesn't involve any physical activity. Both are good for you but the usefulness in a future career is not obvious.

In my country there is something called schackfyran which is a chess tournament for fourth grade students. I don't remember we had this when I was in fourth grade but as I understand it the schools that take part is visited by an instructor that teach how to play chess, and then they probably spend more time practicing in the time leading up to the tournament. It's a team tournament where each school class is a team. All students in the class is part of the team and you get points just by showing up, with some weighting for the number of students in the class. This is to encourage everyone to take part and to feel they are contributing to the team even if they lose all matches.

I also think chess has become quite popular in Norwegian schools lately because of world chess champion Magnus Carlsen from Norway.
jajarvin
codegeek wrote:
On the other hand, many students are not interested in Math either.

That is why I think the seat way ro teach chess at school is during Math lessons.