FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Les Miserables, anyone?

wellerchap
Having a daughter that's been into musical theatre for years, I was semi-familiar with the story/characters/stage version, but actually got round to seeing the movie last night....I thought it was brillaintly done, very atmospheric, and well worth going to see.
Anyone else anything good/bad to say about it, as a movie?
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
Having a daughter that's been into musical theatre for years, I was semi-familiar with the story/characters/stage version, but actually got round to seeing the movie last night....I thought it was brillaintly done, very atmospheric, and well worth going to see.
Anyone else anything good/bad to say about it, as a movie?
I love the movie. Sort of gripping. One of the few where I can't get up unless there is an ad break. Fantastic music.
RosenCruz
I believe it is still not available in my country. Might see it when it is here.
subhan1
I'm gonna watch it soon...heard many good feedbacks about it
Blummer
Watched it it's so beautiful. Unfortunately I haven't seen the original musical or even heard the soundtrack, but I was absolutely shocked by the film. Let me say, I've seen many depictions of this classic Hugo story, but shocked me was the usage of colors and the talented actors and the way they sounded. I never seen them like this, though I believe I have seen Jackman or Hathaway singing. But the casting is so perfect. Including Sasha Baron Cohen.
wellerchap
All singing was recorded live apparently, with the exception of the opening scene, in the shipyard....it's made a few very good actors now show they have more to their talents aswell.
They all had earpieces which fed a piano tune of the tune they were singing...skilfully hidden by hair/make-up.
Blummer
Yeah, quite unusual approach to filming, never seen anything like this. A food for thought for those who dare filming something like that.
testsoc
Love the musical, but it works so much better as a stage show. As a movie, it's generally pretty boring. Some stand out performances, and the sets are great.. but frankly I'd avoid it.
wellerchap
testsoc, you're the first person I've heard that hasn't really enjoyed it.
The only (small) criticism I had of the film was that it skips through the years a bit quick in parts - Hugh Jackman got very old, very quickly at the end!
deanhills
Actually I meant the Liam Leeson Les Miserables. Not the current musical. Not sure I'll see it as I'm not too much into musicals and it's been overly marketed as well.
Insanity
I think it was okay, but having seen the actual musical, the actual musical is much better. Not sure if I approve of Hugh Jackman's singing
Blummer
The full soundtrack has been released, listening to it now. No omitting of any of the significant songs. Brings back into the film.