FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

question about a term I can't figure out

evilryu530
if a person who has no money if it ends to be rich equals fake ballin

then what is a person who has money and pretend to be poor?
what's the term for that?
[/list]
fouadCh
evilryu530 wrote:

[/list]

That should be an avaricious (adjective) and avariciousness (noun)... There are plenty of other synonyms for it too...
Insanity
I don't think there is a term for something like that, and I question the validity of "fake ballin'" as well... I suppose it would be similar to a "shark," where someone pretends not to be able to play a game well but actually can in order to win lots of money. Closest thing I can think of.
deanhills
evilryu530 wrote:

[/list]
Probably a liar.
nickfyoung
If you go to somewhere like the Philippines as a foreigner you have to pretend you have no money whether you do or not. The general assumption in places like that is that you are rich simply because you are a foreigner. It doesn't matter whether you are or not it will be assumed that you are rich and therefore fair target for any and every scam that is about.
deanhills
nickfyoung wrote:
If you go to somewhere like the Philippines as a foreigner you have to pretend you have no money whether you do or not. The general assumption in places like that is that you are rich simply because you are a foreigner. It doesn't matter whether you are or not it will be assumed that you are rich and therefore fair target for any and every scam that is about.
That is a very true observation. Also, if you work in the Middle East every one assumes you're making a lot of money. That is not true either.
_AVG_
I thought avaricious meant greedy and I would say a rich person who pretends to be poor wouldn't be greedy. It depends on his intention behind the deceit whether one should use positive adjectives or negative adjectives to describe him. In any case, I can't think of one word as of now. Would "thrifty" fit actually?
jmraker
The urban dictionary has a different definition for Fake Ballin'
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fake%20ballin%27

Quote:
wearing sunglasses during a time when you obviously dont need to wear them, like indoor or at night.

Perhaps you heard "Yo! guy with no money, take those sunglasses off, your inside, quit fake ballin. Yo! Here's a billion dollars, you are rich now' and only remembered the billion dollar part. Smile