FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

2nd site

Da Rossa
Hi,
I'm considering creating a second site. At first, it will be test-only. I'm planning to install a CMS so I can play around with it then find out which one is the best (WordPress, Joomla or Drupal, or even Blogger). When a project is finished, I even intend to get a domain for it.

However I understand they use databases and some a little more complicated config. On the other hand, my current site is html-css only, simple as that, with not even a javascript. The most advanced thing I use is a search tool, which might come with some more fancy technology: Atomz Search.

I don't want to mess my consolidated site. So, how do I begin setting up in a way those two sites (my current an the forthcoming) do not interact with each other? I mean, can I do it in the first place? Smile
RosenCruz
Sure you can have another web site. Just add another domain in your cPanel/ direct admin and start uploading files, creating databases etc. I run 2 different web sites on Frihost. Wink
zimmer
I suggest you use Joomla.

based on my experience its fast loading here in frihost and Joomla has a lot of options on extension you need for free.

Good luck!
Bondings
You should add a new domain in DirectAdmin in domain management. It will create a structure domains/<domain_name>/public_html/ where you should put your files.
Da Rossa
Gentlemen, thanks a lot. It was Joomla which I was considering anyway. Smile
So Bondings, there will be no conflict of any kind as long as I do exactly as you say, right? Smile
Vanilla
Da Rossa wrote:
Gentlemen, thanks a lot. It was Joomla which I was considering anyway. Smile
So Bondings, there will be no conflict of any kind as long as I do exactly as you say, right? Smile

Not at all. When I add a new domain just like Bondings said it creates a different directory. I have two domains hosted here and they work perfectly. Just give it a try. Wink
Da Rossa
Will do. Thanks again! Very Happy
GuidanceReader
I have a number of domains that I have here, two with parked domain names and complete individual database set up (etc, etc) and another couple of sub domains with separate databases too... It's all possible - Frihost is awesome!

If you have different domain directories, then yeah, they shouldn't bother your current set up.
Da Rossa
Thanks for your testimony too, GuidanceReader! Wink
Sabbadon
Hi, you can create a dir "newsite" and install joomla (or whatever cms you prefer) there.
you'll play with http://yourdomain/newsite

when you think the new site is not messed up and working great, create a new dir "oldsite", place everything in top directory there and after that, move everything that's inside "newsite" out to the top dir
Da Rossa
You said "messed up". And I'm a noobie when it comes to CMS. Actually I've played a bit with blogger but it's not a proper CMS. So, are you saying there will be a mess, at least at first? Means it's complicated?
Sabbadon
hi, first pardon my English, I'm Italian Very Happy

well, when you uses for the first time a cms like joomla (php+mysql) some problems may occurs , not big problems, but when you first add some templates, if you play too much with "positions" of components, the result in viewing the site may be not what you were looking for.
sometimes people starts to create tons of articles in joomla without putting them in proper categories, then upload a new module and they are not able to manage the visualizations..
Joomla is not hard to use
like any other cms is like an Ikea wardrobe Smile you install/mount it. then what you fit inside is up to you. you just have to organize every part you add properly Smile
you won't mess up too much but experimentation is the goal for me. try try try Smile
just 2 tips:
categorize the articles
categorize the media file you upload

If you organize and keep clean your wardrobe, you'll find things faster Very Happy
Da Rossa
Your English is very good, and I couldn't point otherwise with authority, I'm Brazilian anyway Smile

Quote:
well, when you uses for the first time a cms like joomla (php+mysql) some problems may occurs , not big problems, but when you first add some templates, if you play too much with "positions" of components, the result in viewing the site may be not what you were looking for.

I perfectly understand that part. I used to play a lot with phpbb forums and random mods distributed around. Got messy to fix them.

I must learn the terminology: arcticle, category, module...

Ikea wardrobe? Nevermind, I got the gist Razz

Thanks for your tips. Now just tell me in a few words: why Joomla over WordPress, and wy Joomla over Drupal?
Sabbadon
they are all good CMS there are just minor differences in my opinion..
Wordpress is the easiest and it has just a silly way to manage user's permissions and the customization using plugins is not laways so great as using joomla..
Joomla has really great potenciality on customizations - tons of plugins and modules, great community for help and great way to manage users.
But it's bit more complicated than wordpress.
Drupal is really really similar to Joomla, but it's just bit more difficult, it's not so intuitive as wordpress and joomla.
Maybe Drupal may be better than the other 2 CMS but it's more complicated to use. Joomla is just the better-middle solution, for me Very Happy
Da Rossa
That's what I was suspecting, thanks Sabbadon!
Stay_Classy
I realize this solution has already been solved, but I'm just wondering: is Blogger hosted through Google only, or can it be installed like (Word|Octo)Press?
deanhills
Stay_Classy wrote:
I realize this solution has already been solved, but I'm just wondering: is Blogger hosted through Google only, or can it be installed like (Word|Octo)Press?

Looks as though it is hosted through Google only, but there is an option through Blogspot to have it with a custom domain or sub-domain that is your own. So it has the appearance of your own blog:
http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/static.py?hl=en&ts=1233381&page=ts.cs

Or one could keep Blogger separate and run a feed on one's Website like so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlMdfeUNgx4

I personally like the feed idea. Although a Wordpress blog would probably be much more dynamic and professional. A friend of mine has just installed a Wordpress blog and the options available are much more user friendly and also secure. I find Blogger great for straight up and down personal blogs, but once one starts to use some of Google's on-line fancy templates, it can be a pain. Better to go for Wordpress then.