FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Intel profit sinks 27%





zaxacongrejo
Reports from Intel seem not to be very good this year
Worldwide PC shipments fell by 5%
6% fewer PC chips
Mobile -- fell by 7%.
Some say this is the first time since the dot-com bust of 2001 something like this happen
In your opinion could this be related to the European/American Crises?
Could this lead to benefits to us Intel product consumers?
Or in the other hand this could lead us to pay the same for less quality Intel products?
Are you an Intel user? Are you satisfied with the Intel products you have?
Intel claims that the current business climate "challenging” which in my personal opinion are good news for us consumers, because they will have to come out with more attractive products and prices, which are always good news, Personally I never had Intel main boards ,only chips, not because they aren’t good but because they aren’t attractive in aspect and price.
RosenCruz
I believe this has something to do with smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices. Traditional PC's are slowly dying.
twotrophy
RosenCruz wrote:
I believe this has something to do with smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices. Traditional PC's are slowly dying.

I disagree that traditional PCs would die. The demand of mobile devices are increasing so the number of traditional PCs are decreasing but a mobile device cannot do everything a PC can such as playing some games or designing with Photoshop. By the way, I am posting this via my phone.
fouadCh
twotrophy wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
I believe this has something to do with smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices. Traditional PC's are slowly dying.

I disagree that traditional PCs would die. The demand of mobile devices are increasing so the number of traditional PCs are decreasing but a mobile device cannot do everything a PC can such as playing some games or designing with Photoshop. By the way, I am posting this via my phone.

Of course PCs won't disappear.. They are the well-established (preferred ?) computing tools everywhere.. while all the other stuff are mere gadgets.. but that doesn't mean PCs won't evolve..

The thing is that while PCs' market is saturated (more than 2 decades of good sales figures), all the mobile and tablet devices are still trying to tap in that potentially huge market demand out there...
standready
RosenCruz wrote:
I believe this has something to do with smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices.

That explains why Apple is falling as well. Actually with Apple the drop is because of lack of 'new' product instead of upping/revising old product.Where is the 'next big thing'?
deanhills
standready wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
I believe this has something to do with smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices.

That explains why Apple is falling as well. Actually with Apple the drop is because of lack of 'new' product instead of upping/revising old product.Where is the 'next big thing'?
Wow! And here I thought Apple was on the up and up.
Pande
I still think they are on the up and up, but he has a point, people want something new.

The biggest issue I hear from my circle of friends about apple is that they won't make combined devices.

Apple has a strategy that is working for them, which is to charge high for individual things yet make you really want to buy all of them. Lots of people have both an ipad, iphone, ipod, and possibly even a mac computer. They didn't buy them all at once, but they certainly wouldn't have bought them at all if Mac just made a touch tablet laptop (rotating screen, folds down upside onto keyboard, etc).

They won't ever make that though because they wouldn't be able to sell you 3 different things anymore and saturate the market with their products.
deanhills
Pande wrote:
They won't ever make that though because they wouldn't be able to sell you 3 different things anymore and saturate the market with their products.
Maybe it's just where I am, but in the UAE I can't help think that the markets are being saturated with Apple products. They are also one of the rare suppliers who have an online presence in the UAE. They have been actively targeting the UAE last year and I'd say students these days all go for Apple products as well.
bukaida
The Intel no longer remains as big giant in the computer domain. They are facing tough competition from others in all the domains ( PC, TAB, Mobile, Laptop ). So the profit is bound to be cut off (and shared).
Insanity
They still make a lot of the chips that I've encountered.
amagard
I agree to what RosenCruz already said: currently people are spending their dollars for smart phones and tablets, thus all companies highly depending on PC market are suffering.
This morning I have been reading in heise.de ( article in German ) that Acer boss Jim Wong blames Microsoft and their Windows 8 for the decline of laptop sales. He also said: Windows 8 is too complicated and people don't understand it.

I'd say there is a good reason for using mobile devices but they certainly don't replace PC's long term. May be this mobile hype is going away real soon, as more and more people start realizing how addicted they are to those little gadgets they carry with them everywhere, as Lifehacker was publishing these days: "Why I’m Glad My Smartphone Broke".

A real keyboard still is much better than those finger acrobatics on a virtual Android keyboard. If you have to get real work done and wanna write quality articles and e-mails, you'd better use a solid PC.
deanhills
amagard wrote:
A real keyboard still is much better than those finger acrobatics on a virtual Android keyboard. If you have to get real work done and wanna write quality articles and e-mails, you'd better use a solid PC.
Agreed. I have to have the comfort and convenience of plenty of keyboard, a good quality monitor/LCD and great sound. I'm getting a bit short on quality as I need to upgrade my PC, think when I do I'll go for the max in technology, as get a feeling if this continues desktops could become more expensive.
spinout
Hm, Intel - crap from the start--- but a worthy opponent to Motorola, then....
RosenCruz
I m not saying that traditional PC's will disappear in a decade or tomorrow. I m just saying that it is normal to expect a regular decrease on their sales from now on. Even laptops. I haven't researched about the sales but increasing computing power of tablets & smartphones may reduce the need for laptops which are heavy and -imho- hardly mobile.


Wink
Related topics
Intel, Sprint connect on WiMax
Intel forms internal open-source group
Intel May Get Boost From Robust Taiwan PC Market
Can games grow beyond the hard-core set?
Intel unveils new brand aimed at consumers
Intel: We rushed the dual-core P4 to market
AMD ATHLON o INTEL P4 3 Ghz. sobre placa Gigabyte
AMD VS. Intel
AMD Challenges Intel
What is better? AMD or Intel
Intel Conroe Core 2 Duo -vs- AMD Quad (2x FX74 Dual Cores)
8 Trades the Insiders Allegedly Made
Lucro da Intel cai 27%
Intel se hunde un 27%
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.