FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Portable induction cook-tops

jmraker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking

For awhile the idea of getting a portable induction cook-top to use in the office kitchen has been in the back of my head and I had some questions about them. I've only seen them advertised on TV commercials and on the internet.

For a small office kitchen is a portable induction cook-top a good idea, or would a different type of cook-top be better?

Are the small "portable" ones sold in any brick and mortar retail stores? They're too "beyond" for bed bath and beyond retail stores.

Is it a worthy cook-top technology in general?

Since they require pots and pans with "magnet attracted" flat bottoms (I have a few) what happens if an ordinary magnet is put on the cook zone? Would it spin or jump off (due to the oscillating magnetic field), stick to it (due to the electromagnetism), or burn like it was a pot?
ocalhoun
jmraker wrote:

what happens if an ordinary magnet is put on the cook zone? Would it spin or jump off (due to the oscillating magnetic field), stick to it (due to the electromagnetism), or burn like it was a pot?

I suspect it would vibrate... but probably at a very high frequency, so it might express that as friction heat more than any perceptible movement.

...Just a hunch though.
bukaida
What is the power consumption ? Is it economical than LPG ? I am planning to buy one but not sure about the economical aspect. In India, electricity is very costly and so is LPG now.
jmraker
A while ago I found an induction cooktop in a Target stores.
http://www.target.com/p/aroma-digital-induction-cooktop-single-burner/-/A-14024411
I found it's manual and it says the thing beeps on button presses like a cheap microwave which is the reason why I didn't buy it.

A few days ago I found the NuWave PIC at K-Mart for $90, and later in Walmart for slightly less than $100. I suspect that every store that has a well stocked "As Seen On TV" section started selling it. I think I'll buy it as it's manual says it beeps on timer stuff, but one amazon.com review said it beeps when the pot is taken off that it doesn't seem to do in their commercials.

As for power usage, they seem to go from about 600 watts up to 1,300 watts to 1,500 watts
Induction is supposed to use 50 to 70% less energy

Maybe the magnet experiment isn't worth testing out. One thing I didn't consider about the magnet spinning or sticking when it's ON was the magnet sticking to the coils when it was OFF. Also I can imagine a strong enough magnet being able to bend the internal coils enough that they could possibly short circuit. If I do try it I'll start with a weak thin one and then a stronger one http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Rattlesnake-Eggs/dp/B000KRJSHO that has a chance of rolling or spinning if the magnet can fool the machine into turning on the machine's coils.