FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do I disable scandisk in XP?

dark_paladin
Whenever I shut down my computer improperly, Windows 2000/XP (or later) would scan the hard-drive for errors. This usually takes a lot of time. So, is there anyway I can disable the automatic scandisk function? Thanks in advance.
farrengottu
if you shut down your computer improperly you want that to run.
how about you just shut it down right that fixes all your problems.
SoftStag
It is not possible to disable the automatic disk checking facility. You should read the following Microsoft article regarding this.

http://tinyurl.com/2fbal

It sounds like you may have a hardware issue with your hard drive. I would suggest you backup immediately!
zima
SoftStag wrote:
It sounds like you may have a hardware issue with your hard drive. I would suggest you backup immediately!

He doesn't have a hardware issue I think, becasue he said scandisk runs everytime he shuts down windows improperly, so it's nrmal for scandisk to run
SoftStag
zima wrote:
SoftStag wrote:

He doesn't have a hardware issue I think, becasue he said scandisk runs everytime he shuts down windows improperly, so it's nrmal for scandisk to run

Good point! I was thinking it was running every time he booted.
dark_paladin
Thanks, everyone. I don't enjoy shutting my computer improperly. It's just the MS Windows is kind of annoying sometimes and it would not shut down unless I press the reset button.
Sunny
Ummm Switch to NTFS File System? Which has better secuirty features and will not SCAN DISK even if PC is shut down improperly.

Actually I find NTFS better then FAT in most counts.
bananaphone
Impossible to disable unless you have access to raw windows code.
You want it to scan anyway.
progman89
WRONG - it IS possible to disable Very Happy
I'm not sure what the exact registry key is, but you can do it with the freeware version of X-Setup: http://linux4.wekanet-team.de/download/390/xqdcxsp-setup-en.exe
Download and install the program, run it, click "Classic," and on the plugins list go to Startup/Shutdown>Startup>Windows NT/2K/XP>01)Bootup Options>Boot-time Autochk Settings. In the plugin options window on the right you can disable chkdsk running on bootup for a couple types of bootups.
GrimReaper77
It's best not to disable it, but rather find out what's causing the problem (when shutting down). Check the programs you've recently installed and remove those you absolutely don't need that may be running in the background (and preventing shutdown).

Also, if you let the scandisk run to completion, it should not bother you if you shutdown normally.
veritas
"farrengottu
how about you just shut it down right that fixes all your problems."

You have got to be kidding me...
Ever hear of a power-out? Or a system crash or games crashing your system?

No you don't want it to run, it will waste more of your time than you can imagine and the benefits are little. Yes Xsetup will disable that.
You can also do this: Hit Start and then Run, enter this: chkntfs /x c:
That will disable it for drive c. To do it on another drive just change c: to d: for example. Chkntfs works by modifying the BootExcecute value in the Registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\
CONTROL\Session Manager
The default value is BootExecute:REG_MULTI_SZ:autocheck autochk *

Chkdsk /f /r is unaffected by chkntfs and can be run to check volumes manually on the next system reboot.

The amount of ignorance in this topic is insane. Here's an idea for you folks- don't give out advice on things you know nothing about and don't answer questions when you don't know the answer. You're only letting every intellectually competent person here know that you're ignorant.

Windows scandisk a lot like McAfee and Norton, is crap and will cause problems with your files thinking they are corrupt when they are not or not enough to bother with. Then you have to deal with those damn found files. Most of the time your files are fine. If not, get some good scandisk software like spinrite. You can find loads more. Google "better than scandisk". Have a good one. Twisted Evil
Bones
BTW it''s chkdsk not scandisk. Scandisk hasent been used since Win ME
Wink
mordi05
Thanks you, Veritas.
For the only helpful post in this topic. I was looking for a way to disable chkdsk myself, and found your post really helpful.

I really hate it when you ask a question and 10 people tell you that you should/can not do it. Of course it is nice to tell a person that it might be a bad idea, but that should only take one post.

Then if someone can not produse an answer they should go post elsewhere.
internetjobs
you can do this through regedit. but it may cause problem in your HDD, bad sectors are created if you shutdown improperly.. so scan disk is good for your hard disk's life
corey
How about instead of letting it run, you just skip it when the option comes up. You don't have to run it if you don't want. It prompts you as to which to do. You're just letting it run (which is a good thing for Windows)
aenaon
when you are inside windows, go to : my computer ----> right click on the hard drive you have -----> then properties -----> tools
and see if your scan disc feature is enabled.
If it is then when your computer restarts, it will do an automatic hard disk check.
I hope this will help
falsitas
@ veritas what if it's a fat32 drive? smaritass.

"Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute
On the Edit menu, click Modify.
Type autocheck autochk *, and then press ENTER. "

I had to do that after each startup to disable it for the next boot.

if anyone googled this page and the problem occurs even with proper shutdown its probably hardware fault eg bust hard drive

temp fix was to install multiple instances of the OS and use a different one to boot (I had to, using a usb keyboard so the drivers would load or there was no way past the check as you cant 'press any key to skip')

if your drive is flagged as dirty it will be checked at every startup

run : cmd : fsutil dirty query c: (where c: is the drive you want to know about)

will tell you if it is

to disable autochk at start up totally save the following :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"AutoChkTimeOut"=dword:0000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"BootExecute"=hex(7):61,00,75,00,74,00,6f,00,63,00,68,00,65,00,63,00,6b,00,20,\
00,61,00,75,00,74,00,6f,00,63,00,68,00,6b,00,20,00,2a,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SFCScan"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\cleanuppath]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,63,00,6c,00,\
65,00,61,00,6e,00,6d,00,67,00,72,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2f,00,44,\

as a .reg file and activate it. (provided by http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm number 82 on the list)

and theres an answer to a 7 year old question Very Happy
fileb0x
dark_paladin wrote:
Whenever I shut down my computer improperly, Windows 2000/XP (or later) would scan the hard-drive for errors. This usually takes a lot of time. So, is there anyway I can disable the automatic scandisk function? Thanks in advance.

Go to Start/Run

Open Command Prompt 'run cmd'

cd c:/

chkntfs /x c:

The last command is what you need to run in order to disable the Scandsk utility on your C drive.
Asap170
Usually CHKDSK only runs after a few improper shutdowns. If you boot and it pops up you can click the cancel and your OS will boot up. Or you wait and then it shouldn't do it again until you screw your computer up again.

It would be quite interesting if it booted up everytime even after you checked for errors.

(This was my 800 post yippie!)
FunDa
veritas wrote:
"farrengottu
how about you just shut it down right that fixes all your problems."

You have got to be kidding me...
Ever hear of a power-out? Or a system crash or games crashing your system?

No you don't want it to run, it will waste more of your time than you can imagine and the benefits are little. Yes Xsetup will disable that.
You can also do this: Hit Start and then Run, enter this: chkntfs /x c:
That will disable it for drive c. To do it on another drive just change c: to d: for example. Chkntfs works by modifying the BootExcecute value in the Registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\
CONTROL\Session Manager
The default value is BootExecute:REG_MULTI_SZ:autocheck autochk *

Chkdsk /f /r is unaffected by chkntfs and can be run to check volumes manually on the next system reboot.

The amount of ignorance in this topic is insane. Here's an idea for you folks- don't give out advice on things you know nothing about and don't answer questions when you don't know the answer. You're only letting every intellectually competent person here know that you're ignorant.

Windows scandisk a lot like McAfee and Norton, is crap and will cause problems with your files thinking they are corrupt when they are not or not enough to bother with. Then you have to deal with those damn found files. Most of the time your files are fine. If not, get some good scandisk software like spinrite. You can find loads more. Google "better than scandisk". Have a good one. Twisted Evil

That's something I din't know.

I always thought that ScanDisk was a good software. But u are right. It creates useless CHK files instead of finding out what type of files they are !