FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free Hosting

hx-power-smash
Hello FriHost and fellow users,

I am interested to register but before I do I would like to clarify a few questions, as this may alter my decision, what is the version of MySQL supported? and is it unlimited MySQL storage? Is there backup support? Is there SSH on FTP? Is there a phpMyAdmin? And what is the maximum file size for SFTP?

Thanks in advance for answering these burning questions that I have!

hxpowersmash
Peterssidan
Hello! I'm not part of the frihost staff but I think I can answer your questions anyway.
Quote:
what is the version of MySQL supported?
New users are assigned to server 4 that has MySQL 5.5.14 installed. You can find this kind of information on the phpinfo page: http://www.frihost.org/phpinfo.php
Quote:
is it unlimited MySQL storage?
No. It will count as part of the 1500 MB disk space that you can use.
Quote:
Is there a phpMyAdmin?
Yes.
Quote:
Is there backup support?
You will have to do the backups yourself. DirectAdmin has tools for creating and restore backups.
Quote:
Is there SSH on FTP?
You can use FTP to upload your files but there is no SSH.
Quote:
what is the maximum file size for SFTP?
No SFTP, but otherwise Frihost doesn't put any size limits on files.
hx-powersmash
Hello Peterssidan,

So how much does it cost to purchase a .com domain from frihost? Do I get a free frihost subdomain(s)?

Kind Regards,

hx-power-smash
johans
you can have free domain name (.com,.org,.net,etc.) As long as you will have 350 frihost coins. How to earn coin? You need to be active on the forum and contribute. How long does free hosting? Forever as long as you keep your account active.
Peterssidan
All hosting accounts get a Frihost subdomain (eg. yoursite.frihost.org). You can create as many sub-subdomains as you like (eg. blog.yoursite.frihost.org).

As johans mentioned you can get a top-level domain for 350 Coins. To earn that many Coins you will have to post a lot in the forums. For more information about Coins: http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-119180.html

Frihost does not sell domains (or anything else) for real money but if you buy a top-level domain from somewhere else you can use it here on Frihost.
sk4rr
Peterssidan wrote:
Hello! I'm not part of the frihost staff but I think I can answer your questions anyway.
Quote:
what is the version of MySQL supported?
New users are assigned to server 4 that has MySQL 5.5.14 installed. You can find this kind of information on the phpinfo page: http://www.frihost.org/phpinfo.php
Quote:
is it unlimited MySQL storage?
No. It will count as part of the 1500 MB disk space that you can use.
Quote:
Is there a phpMyAdmin?
Yes.
Quote:
Is there backup support?
You will have to do the backups yourself. DirectAdmin has tools for creating and restore backups.
Quote:
Is there SSH on FTP?
You can use FTP to upload your files but there is no SSH.
Quote:
what is the maximum file size for SFTP?
No SFTP, but otherwise Frihost doesn't put any size limits on files.

This post give me all answers i need.

Now i need this web host.
huperion
Peterssidan wrote:
All hosting accounts get a Frihost subdomain (eg. yoursite.frihost.org). You can create as many sub-subdomains as you like (eg. blog.yoursite.frihost.org).

As johans mentioned you can get a top-level domain for 350 Coins. To earn that many Coins you will have to post a lot in the forums. For more information about Coins: http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-119180.html

Frihost does not sell domains (or anything else) for real money but if you buy a top-level domain from somewhere else you can use it here on Frihost.

That's really great!
But I cannot see any option to start a free subdomain on Frihost...
Please, how to start it?
huperion
huperion wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

That's really great!
But I cannot see any option to start a free subdomain on Frihost...
Please, how to start it?

Bah, I am sorry, I have found it, I think:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-486410.html&highlight=#486410
ShaMan
good host, i like))
Nyasro
frihost is best in all
mrobo
Nyasro wrote:
frihost is best in all

Why you think so?
the_emissary
I have another host that gives me 20GB disk space 200GB bandwidth per month; which is way more than is offered here but what you (newbies) will come to love is the quality FREE support on FRIHOST.
Sylin
Peterssidan wrote:
... you can get a top-level domain for 350 Coins. To earn that many Coins you will have to post a lot in the forums..

Suppose I request for a frihost sub-domain. Will I be able to easily transfer everything, including any sub-sub-domain that I may have, to a new top-level domain once I've collected 350 coins?

In such cases, will I get deducted 2 points each day for having 2 websites hosted under frihost until I terminate my old one?

According to this post about the free top-level domain, we need
Quote:
350 Coins for a one year registration or renewal

Does that mean that I have to get 350 coins again every year to get the renewal in order to keep the domain?

Sorry for so many questions Embarassed
I am rather new to the hosting business
deanhills
@Sylin. The quality of the Website space at Frihost is supurb as Bondings goes for high quality servers. Only caveat here is that Bondings is extraordinarily busy, so hasn't had a chance in a considerable long time to look at the domain applications. And we're talking months and months here.

So if your main reason for joining Frihost is the domain, then you may be disappointed. If your main reason is really good Website space and fantastic support by very experienced geeks here, then you're at the right place.
Sylin
Thank you for the response.

I am not too fussed about the domain, but just curious if the 350 is a one time thing, even if it may take months to process, or a regular payment in order to keep it up.

Right now I am testing if I can keep up the level of activity in the forum in order to host at the moment, it looks fine so far so I think I'll get starting soon =)
It's very reassuring to hear that this is the right choice for hosting.
LongTimeMember
Sylin wrote:
Suppose I request for a frihost sub-domain. Will I be able to easily transfer everything, including any sub-sub-domain that I may have, to a new top-level domain once I've collected 350 coins?

Not sure how easy it is (have never done it) but I'm sure it's possible.

Sylin wrote:
In such cases, will I get deducted 2 points each day for having 2 websites hosted under frihost until I terminate my old one?

You never pay more than 1 point per day for your hosting. You would still only have one hosting account, with the same limits of 1500 MB disk space and 35 GB traffic per month, to handle all your sites.

Sylin wrote:
According to this post about the free top-level domain, we need
Quote:
350 Coins for a one year registration or renewal

Does that mean that I have to get 350 coins again every year to get the renewal in order to keep the domain?

Yes, that's right. Normally domains are paid for one year at a time so Frihost will have to pay each year and that's why they want something from you each year.

As mentioned by deanhills the free domain offer is disappointing. I recommend not using it. There has been people waiting months without getting it. After the first year if the domain is not renewed in time it will expire and after a short time in quarantine other people can register the domain which means you could lose it.

I recommend you pay for your own top-level domain if you can afford. That's what I do.
Sylin
Oh wow thanks for such a detailed answers! Smile

Ok, I'll just stick to only hosting then and just forget about all getting a top-level domain for the time being =)