FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GUI Suggestions for Linux

william
So, I haven't used Linux as my primary operating system for a couple years, however I would like to get back into it. I have a dedicated Linux box sitting here with GNOME 2.32. I liked it for it's simplicity. It was beautifully designed yet made to work. However, I won't lie when I say that I was immediately turned off when Ubuntu came out with Unity and feared it was a sign of things to come. And, unfortunately, now with GNOME 3 using an interface more suitable for smartphones and tablets, I'm not really sure where to go to. I'm still not a fan of KDE, and about the only other interface I've installed before is ratpoison (which is a bit too stripped down for me).

Does anyone have any experience with GNOME 3's fallback mode? And any other disgruntled users of GNOME 2 find a good alternative? In the end, I might just stick with GNOME 2 until the group gets their act back together.
Peterssidan
I think Xfce is quite good.
william
Ahh...how did I forget Xfce? I did try it once several years ago, but for some reason my computer booted up in minutes instead of seconds. Probably my fault, since it should have booted up much faster than GNOME. I'll go ahead and give that a shot. Actually...I think a Live CD of Xubuntu would be perfect for this.

I also forgot about LXDE, which I haven't used personally, but have seen screenshots. Anyone have any personal experiences? I hear it's supposed to be even quicker than Xfce.
bahba
LXDE or Lubuntu. Good for all kind of computers, old ones or new ones.

Bahba
bloomingnutria
I usually use a tiling window manager like Xmonad when I'm in X, but when I do use a desktop environment, I like XFCE. Also, I lot of people are finding MATE a very good replacement for Gnome2. I have not felt the need to use it myself, but it is supposed to be very similar and it has garnered quite a following.

Completely agree with you about Unity, by the way.
bloomingnutria
Oh, as for LXDE, I have tried it on the Lubuntu live CD, and I find it a little too lightweight. I need a few more options. Since XFCE runs fine via Slackware even on my netbook, I do not think I'll ever have the need for anything more lightweight than that.
aryan77
I prefer the slightly older format of Gnome 2.x, I did try to like the Gnome 3 desktop but it just didn't suit me.

Gnome shell is fast, I also liked MATE for the same reason; Cinnamon is also very good and worth trying.
SonLight
I use Mint Maya with Mate, and am pretty happy with it. I'm a bit lazy about my desktop -- I want it to be more convenient for many things than if I always used the command line, but I don't like to put a lot of effort into figuring out how to change the configuration. One thing I didn't care for was the menu layout. The command search is a good feature, but unfortunately the search box gets cleared too easily. I wish it had a history feature. I finally got the old Debian menu and installed it elsewhere on the panel with the taskbar. At present, I usually use the Debian menu, but sometimes I use the Mate menu when it's more convenient.
abhinavm24
xfce seems to fit in to my requirements always.
n lxde is kindof lightweight n u must refrain from using it. Laughing
Peterssidan
I recently found out that MATE is a fork of GNOME 2. I haven't tried it yet but I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.
harrer
XFCE is the best for me these days. I used to be a fan of GNOME but due to the lawsuit threat, the community had to make it look like unity.

I tried MATE, but it's a little rough around the edges.

I'm also waiting for what KDE 5 will look like. If it's good, it will become my favourite DE.
msfarsa
I am using windows 7 and now i plan to soon use win 8. Linux is good OS and is more powerful than window. But most peoples like the GUI's of windows that are not available in linux.
aayushsrivastava14
Peterssidan wrote:

I looked at your link and I think you are right. It was really good and clean. Can you tell me what all distros use that interface.
Peterssidan
aayushsrivastava14 wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
I looked at your link and I think you are right. It was really good and clean. Can you tell me what all distros use that interface.
I think you can use Xfce with most distributions, but it might not be the default. In Debian you can choose it before beginning the installation by going to "Advanced options" then "Alternate desktop environments", and choose Xfce. In Arch Linux, there is no default desktop environment so you just install the one you want from the package manager. Xubuntu is a variant of Ubuntu that use Xfce. ...
burgerbelly
Is there a GUI which is Windows-Gui like for Linux?
Peterssidan
burgerbelly wrote:
Is there a GUI which is Windows-Gui like for Linux?

I have heard people saying KDE is easy to use if you are used to Windows but I don't know if it's true because I haven't used it much myself.
LxGoodies
W7 is quite good, but I prefer OS/X over Windows.

Large parts of it could be easily placed on top of Linux.. but alas, OS/X is proprietary.
william
Both GNOME and KDE can be configured to look like Windows (and I imagine xfce can be, as well). You merely have to install a theme. Here is a Windows 7 theme. There are XP ones as well. In China, there's actually a knockoff Windows ISO that's based on Ubuntu and made to look like Windows (since Microsoft shot down their Windows based ISO). Also, I can't recall exactly, but I think there was a distro called "Zorin" a few years back that looked like Windows out of the box and also had WINE preinstalled.
Ankhanu
LxGoodies wrote:
W7 is quite good, but I prefer OS/X over Windows.

Large parts of it could be easily placed on top of Linux.. but alas, OS/X is proprietary.

I've been an OS X user for about 8 years, but my MacBook just died on me, and I can't afford another.
I've got Elementary OS (Luna) installed on an old Dell, and it's desktop environment has some OS X like attributes. They use their own desktop environment (Elementary) over an Ubuntu derived base.
I would suggest installing Elementary Tweak to allow greater desktop tweakability to make it a bit better than default, however.
johans
Peterssidan wrote:

I have not tried this. I will do research and check the reviews.
darthrevan
I am currently using Cinnamon desktop, but for some odd reason with my radeon card it will freeze doing certain things. Like the most recent is spelling correction through right clicking the mis-spelled word. MATE uses gtk2 but i think cinnamon uses gtk3
loveandormoney
Use XFCE
It is easy and fast. Also nearly every Linux can use xfce.
Josso
Fedora is well packaged, I have had some success recently using Debian too.
deanhills
Josso wrote:
Fedora is well packaged, I have had some success recently using Debian too.
I've just purchased a new computer yesterday that I probably will get to install over the next two weeks when I have more time - have to back-up my files on my existing computer first. But when all is done, want to learn how to use Linux. Any recommendation for a package for a beginner?
Josso
Not entirely sure.. ubuntu perhaps? Pretty much any of the ones discussed above + basic unix commands will get you by, it's similar to batch.
deanhills
Josso wrote:
Not entirely sure.. ubuntu perhaps? Pretty much any of the ones discussed above + basic unix commands will get you by, it's similar to batch.
Thanks Josso. I probably need to Google it, I'm sure there must be plenty of tutorials and suggestions on the Web.
Marcuzzo
Ubuntu used to be nice with the Gnome desktop but now they seem to be using [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)]Unity[/url] which I don't like at all.
plus ubuntu seems to be shipped with spyware which can be removed but still.

I prefer debian over any distro because it is simple and stable
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
I prefer debian over any distro because it is simple and stable
OK, I'll check this one out. I like simple. Thanks for the suggestion.
SonLight
With Linux mint, which you can install with xfce, mate, or some others, you should not have the search issue. The objection with the unity interface, as installed by default on ubuntu, is that files searched for locally on your computer are also reported to Canonical's server.

Most distros do install browsers with an internet search which passes information on. This is a lot less egregious than passing on local file searches, but I still don't like it. It is basically the same thing Google does all the time. For that reason, I set up all my browser search defaults to use duckduckgo. They seem to eliminate more spam, or irrelevant hits, from most searches; but they sometimes don't find the one you need either. I start with them anyway, and just add a !g to use google when necessary.
sysna
Xfce is good, i'm using it in ubuntu (xubuntu) and it is very good on memory consumption. also it looks good too.
naim94a
I use gnome3, and i like it; just make sure you install GDM with (not lightdm)
Peterssidan
naim94a wrote:
I use gnome3, and i like it; just make sure you install GDM with (not lightdm)

That only affects the login screen right? It shouldn't matter which one you use once you have logged in. Or are you saying lightdm is causing problems?
PBMaxx
You guys might want to check out LinuxBBQ if you are interested in a different GUI. They offer at least 70 window managers. Check out their releases, there is something for everyone Wink

http://linuxbbq.org/index.html
Extreme-Codes
i like back-track but i believe its no longer supported
ademta
Well I like the Debian for being so stable and can be customized for any type of look or feel. XFCE is there which use the least resource and used lightdm and one can alternatively use Mate Desktop environment and it works well with debian. I use Debian Wheezy with Mate as the only desktop environment and it work great with my old P4 processor