FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best LAN Games

Have you ever attended a LAN party?
Yes
88%
 88%  [ 15 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

Mr_Howl
As some of you may know, I operate a blog dedicated to freeware LAN games, and I use Frihost to serve the user ratings portion of it.

I've kept track of the votes that games in my database receive. With this information, I've compiled a list of the best free LAN games based on votes in 2012. The results are rather interesting.

Take a look at the list. What are your thoughts on the games there? (Keep in mind, these rankings were determined entirely by user votes.)

I was rather surprised by the presence of Farm Hands and TeeWorlds. Yes, they are good games, but many gamers tend to be turned off by "cutesy" graphics. I'm glad to see that my readership was able to overcome this bias.

Another surprise was MegaGlest. I haven't played it much. I knew the game was good, but I didn't know it was THAT good.

I also found it interesting that Soldat did not make the list. It's a game I discovered many years ago, and one of my personal favorites. It is almost always present in the "Popular" widget in the sidebar (determined by pageviews for the week), so I figured the votes would reflect that.

So anyway, what do you think are the best LAN games?

What are the best free LAN games?

Have you ever had a LAN party? LAN gaming definitely isn't as prevalent as it used to be, but I know from my blog that it's not totally dead (unless these people are just playing the games online Razz ).
cybersa
Thanks for your list.
It is very useful.
Because i play games with my brother through lan.
My Laptop and Home pc.
subhan1
CS 1.6 4ever for LAN Party xD
codegeek
I loved playing Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors back in the day.
Utopia GFR
I used to play DUKE NUKEM 3D a LOT in the good old days Very Happy

Best times ever in LAN sessions with friends.
RosenCruz
ITs been like ages since my last LAN party. I miss those high school days Crying or Very sad
Sabbadon
I used to play Unreal Tournament in lan party at work, with my teammates, during lunch time Very Happy
but I'm in a different place now.. old good times Smile

I'm now addicted to WoW, playing on a private server so I consider it free Smile but I can play only at home :/
lightningleo
i like DoW: Soulstorm.. quite a nice strategic game.. alternative to age of empires...
drunkenkoz
There use to be a lot of lan centers near where I live, though a lot of them shut down recently due to the economy. Well it wasn't just the economy, with the improvement on technology and computers getting cheaper, gamers are now able to buy their own setup and just play from home.

The lan centers by me were a lot of fun to game in. A lot of the games we player were the following;
  • Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
  • Counter-Strike 1.6
  • Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
  • Starcraft
  • Halo

They had about 20 computers throughout the lan center, along with 5 tvs and 5 xbox's.
CHAOS-THEORY
The bests are CS1.6 | C&C gENERALS OR ZH i dont remmeber the rest
mukesh
Warcraft 3 and Road race both games in my computer, me and my brother both play by lan.
I like both game to much
c'tair
drunkenkoz wrote:
There use to be a lot of lan centers near where I live, though a lot of them shut down recently due to the economy. Well it wasn't just the economy, with the improvement on technology and computers getting cheaper, gamers are now able to buy their own setup and just play from home.

The lan centers by me were a lot of fun to game in. A lot of the games we player were the following;
  • Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
  • Counter-Strike 1.6
  • Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
  • Starcraft
  • Halo

They had about 20 computers throughout the lan center, along with 5 tvs and 5 xbox's.

Haha, that's almost exactly what we had about 10 years ago at an internet cafe (because not many people could afford computers and a network connection). Everything except Halo.

Man, I remember the hours spent their playing D2:LoD when I was under 14 Very Happy . It's a sign of moving forward but it's a shame that lan parties are so much rarer nowadays. Although with the popularity of laptops and wireless access points, it should be easier than ever to get together and play some of these classics.
Insanity
Basically any team based game would be a great LAN party game. Some examples include Team Fortress 2, or any MOBA like Dota or LoL. This makes communication much better and easier, and much more fun.
Cruxader
Haven't done a LAN party in about 6-7 years, but we used to play the crap out of Diablo II, Unreal Tournament and SWAT 4. (Swat 4 is REALLY fun in a LAN setup.)
pravojednostavno
I used to play Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike
sysna
Counter Stirke 1.6 is the best LAN Game ever, after that i recommend CoD 4 which has better graphics compared to CS1.6 and of course less problems with newer OS like win 8 64 bit.
RosenCruz
Ah those old LAN parties. Now we have great online connections and headsets to play all the stuff to play in our homes Laughing
Schuchhi1999
-Age of Empires II
-CS 1.6 / CS Source
-COD 2
Da Rossa
Nothing will ever beat Counter-Strike 1.6 (and prior versions too) as the top of mind LAN game. LoL won't ever do it.
playfungames
Yup, I too agree that nothing will beat CS 1.6 in Lan. I've played it a lot in my college's computer lab and also in locally organized LAN parties. We also play CS:GO and CS:Sources sometimes. And the other one that we enjoyed was Team Fortress 2, but I guess that we played it online.
spinout
version 1 of flat out is ok! the other version have too fast cars.
alexms
GTA V
wsycarlos
Despite for the bugs, Magica is a great game for LAN parties.
76spiderman76
Bulánci - Combat Pillows

older, but classic