FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The truth about oil...

S3nd K3ys
It's not made from dead dinosaurs.
It's made new by the earth every day.
There is more oil now on earth then there ever was ever before.
Tommrrow there will be more oil then there was today.
It is contiunually formed deep in the earth and will not run out for hundreds of years.
Adjusted for inflation, oil costs half what it did 25 years ago.

Your science teachers lied to you.

http://www.fumento.com/environment/gas.html

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/bg/bg159/

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/102spring2002_Web_projects/M.Sexton/
nilsmo
Yep, my science teacher said that there won't be any oil left in the class' lifetime a few months ago. I argued against him, but he didn't believe me... All the teachers at my school can't be trusted.

My french teacher displayed an enlarged e-mail message to the class filled with lies to supplement learning culture. It said, for example, "If there are 100 people in a room, then 36 of them will be Chinese." That is so untrue--it's more like 16.

My science teacher tried to scare everyone exaggarating about the probabilities of aliens visiting our planet. That happened today, in fact.

A past social studies teacher exaggerated the civilizations you studied way too much, just to make it seem more interesting to students.

Global warming has been lied about at school... NOOOOOOOO!
n0obie4life
nilsmo wrote:
My science teacher tried to scare everyone exaggarating about the probabilities of aliens visiting our planet. That happened today, in fact.

[hijack]Yep. We have one in our forum. Get rid of them by joining my campagain.[/hijack]
SunburnedCactus
Maybe it is all a giant consipiracy of aliens and fossil fuels?
Bondings
S3nd K3ys wrote:

Yes, oil prices continue to get lower every day.

Quote:
It's not made from dead dinosaurs.
It's made new by the earth every day.

First of all, a part of it is made from dead dinosaurs. Oil is made from all organic materials, including trees, animals and dinosaurs. And yes, 'earth' is making new oil every day. Just like it makes diamonds every day. It just takes a few million of years to make it. The oil we are now using was started to be formed several millions of years ago.
Quote:
... and will not run out for hundreds of years.

It will most likely never run out. If prices continue to get higher, then other types of fuel will get cheaper than oil and will replace it.
damj
S3nd K3ys wrote:

Liberals (of which most teachers are) in general care less about truth than they do advancing their agenda, and if the facts get in the way, they pitch them overboard.
S3nd K3ys
You didn't do your homework, Bondings. Wink

Bondings wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:

Yes, oil prices continue to get lower every day.

I think you missed the adjusted for inflation part of my statement...

http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/17/commentary/mkcommentary/sivy/

Quote:
Adjusted for inflation, the price of oil in today's dollars peaked at $96 a barrel in 1979-80, compared with today's $63. And although the cost of finding new oil has risen over the past five years, it's still well below today's market price. That suggests that oil prices will eventually ease somewhat, even if they never return to $25 a barrel.

Quote:

If prices continue to get higher, then other types of fuel will get cheaper than oil and will replace it.

http://www.fumento.com/environment/gas.html
Quote:
Certainly supply isn't declining yet. "Proved" oil reserves increased from 677 billion barrels in 1982 to 1048 billion in 2002, a 55 percent increase. ("Proved" means quantities that with reasonable certainty can be recovered from known reservoirs under existing economic and operation conditions.) Meanwhile worldwide consumption increased only 13 percent.

Quote:
This includes Canada's oil sands (oil shale), containing a tar-like substance convertible to petroleum. These hold an estimated 1.7 trillion barrels of petroleum, of which 255 billion barrels (about equal to the entire proved oil reserves of Saudi Arabia) is currently considered recoverable. Because of reductions in production costs, some of this goop is already being extracted and sold. (Scotland was the first nation to do so – 150 years ago!)

Quote:
Oil sands worldwide could provide more than 500 years of oil at current usage rates calculates David Deming, professor of geology and geophysics at the University of Oklahoma in Norman.

Five hundred years? We should have other global problems as worrisome as this.

http://www.saudi-us-relations.org/energy/saudi-energy-reserves.html
atomictoyz
S3nd K3ys wrote:

They didn't lie unless they had knowledge that told them otherwise, which they didn't. They were only guessing, like they do on alot of other "scientific" ideas.

I have a relative who is an expert in the field. He works for Bush's energy resources team. About 10 years ago I had a conversation about the current state of fossil fuels. He said there were many different ways oils can form which are highly dependent on specific circumstances. But not all oils are equal in mechanical properties. He is still trying to figure out shale oil migration and other phenomina.
He also said we have a limited supply and were using it at an exponential rate which makes it nearly impossible to predict.
But then again, he's a scientist that is not as dogmatic as some.

I harrass my relative by telling him I put used oil in the back yard. He gets all anxious about "contaminating" the earth. So I feed him his science. Where does oil come from, how does nature control seeping into water tables etc....Then I ask whats wrong with taking dirty oil cleaned by a refinery (unnatural process) and getting it dirty (natural Process) again!

If your so enviromentally conscience then quit refining oil Wink

I listened to a physicist friend explain to another about how small you can make a nuclear reactor. Now thats interestingly boring.

Peace,
Atomic
S3nd K3ys
atomictoyz wrote:
He also said we have a limited supply and were using it at an exponential rate which makes it nearly impossible to predict.

Quote:
Certainly supply isn't declining yet. "Proved" oil reserves increased from 677 billion barrels in 1982 to 1048 billion in 2002, a 55 percent increase. ("Proved" means quantities that with reasonable certainty can be recovered from known reservoirs under existing economic and operation conditions.) Meanwhile worldwide consumption increased only 13 percent.

I wouldn't call that an 'exponential rate' of increase. Wink

Quote:
If your so enviromentally conscience then quit refining oil Wink

Laughing Shocked Laughing
ocalhoun
The Earth does produce oil, but aren't we using it faster than it's being created?
This just goes to show you, you can't trust anybody. Make your own opinions!
Bondings
S3nd K3ys, they probably didn't notice the fact that oil makes part of the inflation. If the oil price gets higher, so does the inflation.

Here is another graphic, made by forbes of the real and nominal oil prices. They do get higher.
http://www.forbes.com/static_html/oil/2004/oil.shtml

I really doubt that we will have enough oil for 500 years. In 10-15 years, China and India will start to consume oil comparably to the US. Only this fact might double or triple the oil consummation.

But you can make oil from plants (just a bit more expensive) or drive on hydrogen. So you will probably be right, there will be oil for the next 500 years.
wistom
In my opinion the oil will run out if the world cant find out other way to replace the oil.
Though the oil can be made from all organic materials, including trees, animals and dinosaurs. And yes, 'earth' is making new oil every day. It just takes a few million of years to make it. And now the oil we used is made several millions of years ago. So the oil will be run out for sometimes but it will be made few million of years after.
atomictoyz
S3nd K3ys wrote:

I wouldn't call that an 'exponential rate' of increase. Wink

The data failed to note the recent increases in consumption by China. Especially this last year. But a 13% increase over a previous increase of 10% would still technically be "exponential" Wink However small it may be.

Our only hope is figure out how to use Internet BS for energy.

I'd be Bigger than Exon and BP combined!! Shocked

Peace,
Atomic
S3nd K3ys
atomictoyz wrote:
... But a 13% increase over a previous increase of 10% would still technically be "exponential" Wink However small it may be.

Our only hope is figure out how to use Internet BS for energy.
...c

Yes, the BS is running thick trying to say a 3% increase is legitimately considered as being 'exponential'.

Rolling Eyes
SunburnedCactus
In mathematics, a quantity that grows exponentially is one that grows at a rate proportional to its size. This means that for any exponentially growing quantity, the larger the quantity gets, the faster it grows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_growth

Come on people, check yourself before you go saying things. Thats what wikipedia is for!
Resident Egoist
Bondings wrote:
...the fact that oil makes part of the inflation. If the oil price gets higher, so does the inflation.

Oil Prices don't make inflation. The Federal Reserve does. High prices are merely a symptom of the existence of inflation. Its actual cause is the Federal Reserve's no-brain manipulation of the money supply.
criticaldensity
learn your sources. Before you start believing what you read, look into the background of your sources and see if they were ever "influenced" in the past or present (ex. receiving funds from outside sources)
I take it MOST of us are not experts and we can only believe the independent experts. Some people want to just find out the truth, others want to cover it up.
Theres an excellent article in the recent Rollingstone (I hate this magazine, but I'm intrigued by global warming since it could affect my snowboarding season Wink Wouldnt ya know, alot of the nay-sayers have been paid money by oil companies. hmmm
We all knew for years cigarettes caused cancer and are addictive, but finally an insider leaked that truth out and now tobacco companies are held liable. Could oil companies one day be held liable for environmental damage? Confused

Time will tell the truth and we'll either be burned or cool.
S3nd K3ys
criticaldensity wrote:
learn your sources. Before you start believing what you read, look into the background of your sources

So you're saying there's on such thing as shale oil or that there's NOT more than first thought?

Sources?
MidwestCreative
Good god...

Talk about believing lies...

Regardless of whether the oil will last or not, it is a massive hemmorage in the global economy. Oil is BAD, there is no way around that. The fact that oil companies are making more money than ever in this supposed oil "shortage" should say it all.

Come on people, get smart, don't buy the shit the sell to you, you're only throwing one blind belief away for a different blind belief.

THINK.

Oil is made by a natural process of compression and time. It takes millions of years for one gallon of oil to be made, and only an hour to burn it in a car. What other outcome can there be? We are using oil WAY to fast to be able to say that it will never run out. The debate is on whether it will run out in the next twenty years, or the next hundred.

Think electrical, even though it's currently made by burning coal, Fusion power is just over the horizon.
S3nd K3ys
MidwestCreative wrote:

It takes millions of years for one gallon of oil to be made, and only an hour to burn it in a car. What other outcome can there be? We are using oil WAY to fast to be able to say that it will never run out. The debate is on whether it will run out in the next twenty years, or the next hundred.

Think electrical, even though it's currently made by burning coal, Fusion power is just over the horizon.

Methinks YOU should be the one THINKING. You're trying to sell the notion that oil can only be made at the rate of one gallon per million(s) of years.

That's obsurd. It would take much longer than the life of this middle-aged planet to produce the oil we've already used, not to mention what's still in the ground. Rolling Eyes

And the knowledge of shale oil dates back for decades, it's not something new.

In the long run, an economy that utilizes petroleum as a primary energy source is not sustainable, because the amount of oil in the Earth’s crust is finite. However, sustainability is a misleading concept, a chimera.

No technology since the birth of civilization has been sustainable. All have been replaced as people devised better and more efficient technologies. The history of energy use is largely one of substitution.

In the 19th century, the world’s primary energy source was wood.
Around 1890, wood was replaced by coal.
Coal remained the world’s largest source of energy until the 1960s when it was replaced by oil.

We have only just entered the petroleum age.

How long will it last? No one can predict the future, but the world contains enough petroleum resources to last at least until the year 2100. This is so far in the future that it would be ludicrous for us to try to anticipate what energy sources our descendants will utilize. Over the next several decades the world likely will continue to see short-term spikes in the price of oil, but these will be caused by political instability and market interference — not by an irreversible decline in supply.
Ressurrector
Here's my two cents. Even IF you could use oil forever would you really want to?? This is 2005 and shouldn't the focus be on better transportation devices and energy sources? Cars haven't considerably changed since Henry Ford made them in like the 1930's. They still use gas...They still have 4 wheels.,spark plugs,.Etc. Anything would honestly be better than an average gasoline car. Just a complete electric automobile. Even if slower for awhile would get the job done.

Then oil could still be used for heating and stuff and its supply should replenish in time based on what you posted.
rwojick
There is no truth about oil...

Texans, Californians and New Yorkers are, at their core, FRAUDS.

They use the television and the movies, magazines, etc. to perpetrate their frauds.

With credit cards and bank loans money is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a zero sum game. This means that if a buyer buys a house for $200,000 then the bank pays the money to the seller.

If the buyer defaults on their loan 5 years into they never go back to the original seller and take back the money. No, they refinance and dribble around UNTIL THE BANK GOES BROKE.

This happened in the 80's and they created the RESOLUTION TRUST CORPORATION (look it up on google) and here what they did is the Gov't TOOK BACK all of Donald Trumps bad loans so that "the Donald" did not have to GO HOMELESS.

The Trumpster was literally 900 million dollars UPSIDE DOWN when Uncle Sam threw him a life raft.

Do you know how many hamburgers, or gallons of gas, you can buy for 900 million dollars?

Personally, I do not care how much money those FRAUDS STEAL, I'd just like to see them let the homeless people pay for their housing the same way "The Donald" pays for his housing.

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"

The truth about oil? There is no truth to oil. Next question.
S3nd K3ys
rwojick wrote:

Texans, Californians and New Yorkers are, at their core, FRAUDS.

The truth about oil? There is no truth to oil. Next question.

It seems your fingers not only did your typing, but did your thinking too.

I refer to your latest discharge of plebeian verbiage; in which, you have proven that there is no such thing as unutterable nonsense. Rumor has it that you are almost incomprehensible in person (as revealed by your desperate urge to babble nonsensically on message boards.) No doubt, this rumor is true.

Reading your post makes blindness a wonderful thing to look forward to. As Ellen Glasgow once remarked: "He knows so little and knows it so fluently."
MidwestCreative
The time it took to create the vast oil feilds that we are using today is gigantic, yet the time it has taken to largely deplete the main reserves has been miniscule.

You say that the petroleum age started in the 60s, well then in about 50 years we've used up more than half of the entire earth's oil reserves. These reserves took significantly longer than 50 years to create.

In response to the notion that energy is in a constant state of change, that we can't see what the people will be using after us, I hope that the rest of the people don't think that way, else we do run out of oil in a hundred years and we don't have a viable alternative in place.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that we drop oil immediately, but it would make sense to begin funding alternative and non-polluting renewable energy sources agressively to alleviate the choke hold that oil prices and consequently, oil companies, have on the world.
S3nd K3ys
MidwestCreative wrote:

I hope that the rest of the people don't think that way, else we do run out of oil in a hundred years and we don't have a viable alternative in place.

The viable alternative(s) is(are) likely already available, it just hasn't taken hold yet.

Just like coal.

Just like oil.

We're already working on numerous alternatives like solar, bio, hydrogen etc.
SunburnedCactus
Agreed. In fact the alternatives would be even more readily available if it weren't for their suppression by the oil industry in order to prevent profit loss. It is disturbing to think that they have the powers to prevent such technologies from progressing, but if a lawsuit ever comes to bear relating to global warming, at least we'll know where to point it.
Dante
This is a strange thread.

Firstly it is not only liberals who are worried about climate change, oil prices and oil running out. The pentagon is one of the groups most worried about the effects of climate change on security, and securing oil reserves as demand out-strips supply is an established feature of American Foreign policy, even amongs the most Hawkish of Republicans. So the people who started this thread clearly haven't really looked into the issues.

There is a current contingent truth about oil. We are currently using it much faster than it is being produced by the Earth. Our demand is increasing exponentially. We are seeing the living standards of Billions of human being improving and their is a huge cost to this environmentally. Again, you just need to travel a bit, or take an interest in the rest of the world to see that this is not a particularly controversial point.

There are two problems. One is the transition to other forms of energy and the social costs of that. Solar and particularly wind are nearly ready as technologies, but it is not clear how easy it will be to get wind energy into cars or aeroplanes for instance, how many batteries will it take to fly form London to New York? This implies in the shorter term, changes to how we live, and in the longer term, a lot of research.

We have another more pressing problem. The planet is heating up and this is a serious risk to food supply, to disease control and from dealing with extreme weather events. How long will it take for people to face up to the inevitable? We might well need to adapt to changed circumstances, but surely we also need to think abut how much oil we are using, and what risks that is exposing us to?

Daniel
LeviticusMky
Extremely well said.
draginphlie
true enough. Oil may dissapear, but your science teachers don't know whne or even if. Nobody does. Your teachers may say "Well, when oil goes away, the entire world wil crumble" but that may not be true. In the time we have left, there will be so much technology oil will be like as important as dirt.