FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which software should I use?

sn0zb0z
I want to create a website where members can join, put up text only articles (which they can edit/delete) and have their own member profiles. I also want all the newest articles to display on a page and all articles to be under categories (that the member can choose when publishing). I want to do this completely free.

I've tried Wordpress, but I'm having a couple of issues. I've tried Joomla, but half the add-ons I wanted cost and I just didn't really like it overall.

Am I best sticking with Wordpress and are there any really good plugins you'd suggest? Or is there another open source program I should be using?

If it makes a difference, I know HTML, but I do not know PHP.
Vanilla
From what you posted I can conclude that Wordpress is still your best choice. You can have everything that you asked (multiple users, categories, newest articles displayed in a page etc) for free and you lave a large community if you need support. I'm not a professional but I've been using Wordpress since 2005 and I think I can help you with some of the issues. Just ask. Smile
metalfreek
I think wordpress will be the best CMS for you so far as I can tell. Wordpress has a great user management system and well organized categories. All you need to do is find a plugin that suits your need.
sn0zb0z
Thanks. My main problem with Wordpress is public user profiles and the posting system. I either need a frontend posting system or them to access the dashboard, but accessing the dashboard means they can see all posts, not just their own and I don't want that.

I've tried a number of plugins for each but half don't seem to do anything at all and the rest don't work how I need them to.
Vanilla
I think the solution to your problem is in Wordpress roles. See, you can let people register to your blog as contributors (they can add their own posts but they can't publish them) or authors (they can add and publish their own posts). Also, the author can make his post "private", which means he'll be the only one who sees that post when he's logged in.

If you're comfortable with some bits of code, you can add this code to your functions.php file. This way author and contributor will only see their own posts/uploaded archives when logged to Wordpress.

I hope it helps. Very Happy
sn0zb0z
Vanilla wrote:
I think the solution to your problem is in Wordpress roles. See, you can let people register to your blog as contributors (they can add their own posts but they can't publish them) or authors (they can add and publish their own posts). Also, the author can make his post "private", which means he'll be the only one who sees that post when he's logged in.

If you're comfortable with some bits of code, you can add this code to your functions.php file. This way author and contributor will only see their own posts/uploaded archives when logged to Wordpress.

Thanks. I might use that Smile However, I managed to install Buddypress and that stops people getting to the admin/dashboard area. So do you happen to know of a frontend user posting plugin/code where you can add an excerpt and edit posts?
Dharator
sn0zb0z wrote:
Vanilla wrote:

Thanks. I might use that Smile However, I managed to install Buddypress and that stops people getting to the admin/dashboard area. So do you happen to know of a frontend user posting plugin/code where you can add an excerpt and edit posts?

Is this what you are looking for?:

Code:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-user-frontend/
graceland
stick with wordpress, you will find your way around it.