FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fast accessible, easy-use Linux distribution

Gregoric
Good day, Frihosters!

I have bought a low-end, cheap laptop to use it at university or while working/learning at home last week. It has Intel Pentium B960 processor with 2x 2.2Ghz, some weak graphics card (able to run FIFA 13, Sims 3 or source games like Team Fortress 2 or Half-Life 2) and 6 GB of RAM. If anyone were interested, price was a bit less than 300$. Never mind.

Normally, I am running Windows 7 and it is pretty smooth except the fact that it takes a lot of time for it to launch; it's about minute or two but still - sometimes I'd like to have access to internet in few/dozen of seconds.

What do I need then: very quickly booting distribution to run Firefox and Thunderbird, maybe listen music, watch movies or look though photo gallery. I'd like it to be easy-configurable (preferred GUI) as I really can't spend much time learning Linux.

I have considered Linux Mint with XFCE, Xubuntu or Ubuntu 10.04 LTS; but I had never been using any Linux based system, not even Android so I can't say much Smile. Please, advise me what to choose.

Great thanks for all the upcoming answers, regards!
loveandormoney
I have the same question.

But I can help You a little bit.
Try Slitaz.
jsk02a
I have a similar laptop, and I run Linux Mint off of it and it runs like a dream...fast and smooth. Linux Mint is a version of ubuntu, so it's very easy to use and learn and it doesn't come bloated like some other distros.

I highly recommend trying Linux Mint.
zaxacongrejo
Puppy Linux
take a look here

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm
subhan1
Ubuntu is recommended
Gregoric
Thanks for the replies!

Have any of you got experience in working with Firefox OS or Chromium? Or any system that could possibly be used on PC with x86 Intel processor?

Continuing the topic; could you recommend me some Linux walkthough or tutorial sites? Or maybe some forum which I could read? Okay, I use Google and I usually find what I need but maybe there are some well-built, experienced but small and not popular communities? Smile
zaxacongrejo
Puppy Linux is meant to starters theres everything there even support take a look at the website
tictock
Ubuntu is good and fast.
loveandormoney
Ubuntu is good.
Xubuntu ist more fast.
twotrophy
Most people would recommend Ubuntu because it is the most popular Linux Distribution. I personally recommend Chrome OS which is also considered a distribution of Linux although it is also good. I think it is free. It is also open source.
IndieCthulhu
twotrophy wrote:
Most people would recommend Ubuntu because it is the most popular Linux Distribution. I personally recommend Chrome OS which is also considered a distribution of Linux although it is also good. I think it is free. It is also open source.

This is true, but i am yet to find a easy download of the OS... such as an ISO file so i don't have to change the ubuntu version myself... i may as well just use ubuntu.. Do you have a link to some sort of ISO installation?
Dharator
I'll have to say Ubuntu by FAR, i have 2 OS on my PC and ubuntu is one of them, here's a quick explanation why:

Different people have different opinions of each of the Linux distributions. Many feel that the official Linux distribution by Red Hat Software is the best Linux operating system, while others believe Ubuntu is the best Linux distribution. I personally believe that Ubuntu is the most efficient and most reliable of the GNOME desktop operating systems in circulation, Ubuntu is far more cutting edge than other distributions as it very quickly adopts newer enhancements. Ubuntu also makes the most of the GNOME interface. It has a very appealing graphical user interface.

Another reason why Ubuntu is the superlative Linux distribution is because of its security. Ubuntu has several security features that make it one of the most reliable operating systems not only based on UNIX, but also out of all other operating systems including Windows Vista/7 and Mac OS X.

Stability is a very huge concern for most Linux systems. Users can easily modify the source code on a Linux system and that may cause irreversible harm to the operating system and that may cause a total loss of files and information. Ubuntu provides a secure system recovery operation. users easily reverse the previous operation and recover their files.
darthrevan
Ubuntu is one I don't recommend for lower end computers, it tends to be sluggish on old ones. Puppy I hear is good for older ones and any other distro that doesn't have a lot installed by default.
Mr_Howl
darthrevan wrote:
Ubuntu is one I don't recommend for lower end computers, it tends to be sluggish on old ones. Puppy I hear is good for older ones and any other distro that doesn't have a lot installed by default.

Quote:
It has Intel Pentium B960 processor with 2x 2.2Ghz, some weak graphics card (able to run FIFA 13, Sims 3 or source games like Team Fortress 2 or Half-Life 2) and 6 GB of RAM

He'll be fine. I've installed Ubuntu on low-end Intel Atom machines (1.5GHz single core, 1GB RAM) with no problems. That was before Unity, but this machine is still well above the system requirements.
limpands
Xubuntu for sure!
Even though i have a pretty decent computer i use Xubuntu as my one and only Operating System.

Fom my experience, i think it is the fastest Operating System i've ever used, so you should definently try it out.

You can download it here: http://xubuntu.org/
bahba
Ubuntu for new machines, Lubuntu for little old ones and Bodhi Linux to old ones.
Bahba
manfer
That hardware is enough to run any linux distribution as well as it runs properly Windows 7 and should be able to run properly Windows 8 too.

Any linux distribution with whatever window manager, XFCE, KDE, Gnome, ..., any one, no matter which one, would work properly on a Dual Core with 6GB of RAM.

So the distribution choice is only a matter of taste.

The Window Manager which is more similar to Windows OS is KDE so it is probably the one that users coming from Windows would feel more confortable with.
Arrogant
If i were you I would go for Ubuntu
bloomingnutria
Dharator wrote:
I'll have to say Ubuntu by FAR, i have 2 OS on my PC and ubuntu is one of them, here's a quick explanation why:

Different people have different opinions of each of the Linux distributions. Many feel that the official Linux distribution by Red Hat Software is the best Linux operating system, while others believe Ubuntu is the best Linux distribution. I personally believe that Ubuntu is the most efficient and most reliable of the GNOME desktop operating systems in circulation, Ubuntu is far more cutting edge than other distributions as it very quickly adopts newer enhancements. Ubuntu also makes the most of the GNOME interface. It has a very appealing graphical user interface.

Another reason why Ubuntu is the superlative Linux distribution is because of its security. Ubuntu has several security features that make it one of the most reliable operating systems not only based on UNIX, but also out of all other operating systems including Windows Vista/7 and Mac OS X.

Stability is a very huge concern for most Linux systems. Users can easily modify the source code on a Linux system and that may cause irreversible harm to the operating system and that may cause a total loss of files and information. Ubuntu provides a secure system recovery operation. users easily reverse the previous operation and recover their files.

With all due respect, I do not believe anyone who knows Linux would praise Ubuntu for its stability. It may not be as far on the unstable side of the spectrum as Arch and the rolling release distros, but it isn't on the low end either--or even in the middle. If you want stability, you go with Slackware, Fedora, or CentOS; if you want a user-friendly Windows replacement that does not require you to know much about what is going on, you go with Ubuntu (or better, Xubuntu, since the Unity fiasco is no good for anyone).

Don't get me wrong, I praise Ubuntu for what it has done to bring new users to Linux and for that reason do not wish to disparage it, but I would not attempt to put it in a category where it does not realistically belong.

By the way, Slackware recently won best Desktop distro of the year on the LinuxQuestion.org poll. It may have a learning curve, but if you want to understand your operating system, it provides a solid foundation and is well worth the effort in the beginning. Very Happy
manfer
bloomingnutria wrote:

... I do not believe anyone who knows Linux would praise Ubuntu for its stability.

In my opinion it depends. If the person in charge of the machine knows Ubuntu release policy he can decide to have a stable linux using Ubuntu distro.

Ubuntu policy is to release one stable distro each 2 years that is called LTS (long term support) version. And that one is very stable release. For people that want stability that's the recommended version. Last LTS version is Ubuntu 12.04 and that is the recommended version for stability until next 14.04 LTS that is going to be released on April 2014.

And in between those LTS versions, Ubuntu releases other versions to test new software and decide which is the software they are going to include in next LTS release. People that decide to go with those versions must know they are deciding to install a version that is not as stable as a LTS version. From the stability perspective these versions are not the recommended ones. These versions are for people that like to test the most recent software possible even if it is not as stable as older versions.

Then maybe the Ubuntu LTS versions are not as stable compared to others. Really I can't argue about that. But at least we have to clarify the LTS vs not LTS Ubuntu releases.
Pippo90
If you have never used Linux before, I would strongly suggest Linux Mint. It's the most similar to Windows.
sysna
You said you like to have a fast boot right ? and you can run win 7 fine ? so my suggestion is win 8, ultimate fast boot ! which you can access FF and ThunderBird very fast.

But if you want your OS to be lightweighted too, my suggestion is Xubuntu, because when you are using linux distors "The Most Important Thing" is number of help resources. ubuntu comes with huge number of resources like ubuntuforums and a lot more and you will get your answers just in hours and that is why i recommend ubuntu to any newbie. But other distors are not like this at all !
loveandormoney
Xubuntu is very good.
It is written, Lubuntu should be very good.
But I had only trouble with Lubuntu.
Arrogant
I recommend Ubuntu
Cruxader
Linux Mint. It will probably work fine with everything you have on that laptop with little or no configuration. You shouldn't have any trouble running any Linux distro at that laptop with those specs.
dehghani
I recommend Xubuntu, that's nice
bogisha
there are many topics about this i think...

Ubuntu and linux mint are my best suggestions so far...

Bogdan
Radar
I agree with the majority saying that Ubuntu sounds good for what you've described.

I'm not familiar with too many other distributions though.
loveandormoney
Xubuntu is out of my experience a little bit better and more easy.
ax0692
Gregoric wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

Have any of you got experience in working with Firefox OS or Chromium? Or any system that could possibly be used on PC with x86 Intel processor?

Firefox OS is a mobile platform, why would you want to install it on a PC?