FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Age of Empires 2 or 3?

codegeek
I think AOE 2: The Conquerors expansion is a lot better than AOE 3. In my view, Microsoft added unnecessary complexity to AOE 3 and removed the best features. Yes, it's more pleasing from a graphics point of view but i don't think that it can match the addiction of playing a good game of Conquerors over a LAN with your friends. Perhaps I am biased because I have played a lot more AOE 2 than 3, but my overall impression was that the complexity added to AOE 3 degrades it rather than enhance it. What do you guys think?
Insanity
They are both really good games. I just discovered actually that you can play Age of Empires Online on Steam, which is a free game. It's cool because you can play with other people online without having to pay and all that jazz. It isn't as good as the previous versions, in my opinion, but I think that that's the price for it being free. The graphics are pretty bad and cartooney, but that's also what you get for the price. Overall, it's a good game, and you should definitely check it out if you really like the Age of Empires series.
numed2012db
codegeek wrote:
I think AOE 2: The Conquerors expansion is a lot better than AOE 3. In my view, Microsoft added unnecessary complexity to AOE 3 and removed the best features. Yes, it's more pleasing from a graphics point of view but i don't think that it can match the addiction of playing a good game of Conquerors over a LAN with your friends. Perhaps I am biased because I have played a lot more AOE 2 than 3, but my overall impression was that the complexity added to AOE 3 degrades it rather than enhance it. What do you guys think?

Having played both myself, I also think AOE2 provides a better gameplay as compared to AOE3 even in multiplayer. As you have said, some of the features that were the dealbreaker within AOE2 were removed of nerfed in AOE3 which resulted in less "FUN" overall for the game. Regardless, Both games are still nice for multiplayers.
ratanegra
After having played both for a while, I can confidently say that AOE 2 is much better than AOE 3. It is an absolute preference.
pravojednostavno
AO3 is better and more interesting to play.
dude_xyx
I couldn't run AOE 3 in my pc for some reason. It got stuck in middle everytime I tried to play it. I love AOE 2 and all those cool expansion packs. One of the best games I have ever played.
13zohan
Definetly Age of Empires 2 is the best. Also try the new HD Age of empires
cybersa
I like both version.
Then Age of Empire is one of my favorite game.
hunnyhiteshseth
I would say AoE 2 was much better. Although it lacked in gaphics but story line and game play was much much better.
I would prefer Rise of Nations over AoE3 if I want to add all that complexity.
Insanity
AoE3 is definitely fun too, I've had a chance to play it recently and I definitely prefer it to AoE2
codersfriend
I've tried AOE 2, I think it's good enough. Although I would also like to try AOE3
codersfriend
Insanity wrote:
They are both really good games. I just discovered actually that you can play Age of Empires Online on Steam, which is a free game. It's cool because you can play with other people online without having to pay and all that jazz. It isn't as good as the previous versions, in my opinion, but I think that that's the price for it being free. The graphics are pretty bad and cartooney, but that's also what you get for the price. Overall, it's a good game, and you should definitely check it out if you really like the Age of Empires series.

I checked and it isn't free now Sad
Integricall
The best thing in Age of Empires would be to attack the enemy with a ton of battering rams and as soon as they send a mini army to "easily destroy" your battering rams, you ungarrison your pikemen and archers from the rams and cause havoc. Yep, AoE II FTW
RosenCruz
Third installment of these series were never that popular, also the mythology one. Stick to Age of Empires 2 HD Laughing