FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Adobe giving away old version of Photoshop?

Mr_Howl
Link - Creative Suite CS2

Found this on Reddit. Some are questioning the legality, but the consensus seems to be that it's legitimate. Apparently Adobe's strategy is to build a userbase of people who know Photoshop, and thus will want it when they go to work (since companies are more likely to buy).

This is CS2, which is from 2005. But it's still quite powerful.
Vanilla
Photoshop CS2 is quite powerful (I'm using version CS3), but unfortunately the news are not true. They're not giving free copies.
Mr_Howl
It doesn't seem so clear cut...

Quote:
No, they have an employee of Adobe who was speaking on behalf of the company without official authority.

Here's what Adobe officially says:

Quote:
Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers. While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers.

Which is very clearly intended to be ambiguous wording.

Quote:
From the EULA: "2. Software License. If you obtained the Software from Adobe or one of its authorized licensees and as long as you comply with the terms of this agreement, Adobe grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software in the manner and for the purposes described in the Documentation, as further set forth below."
There was an official Adobe download page that also lists all the serial numbers, and makes no mention of any other terms on that page. I'd say that satisfies the above term.
And now, you don't even need an Adobe ID to download - they've since removed even that restriction.
dude_xyx
Well they do tell "The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2" but I don't think they would care about who use it and who has license for it. They say its old and outdated. I doubt they would bother suing anyone who try to use it.
metalfreek
Yup the story is true that Adobe is giving their creative suite CS2 for free but these software are almost 10 years old and I don't think it will be compatible with new OS. Having said that, these products are not bad at all. If all you do is adjust some color and crop some photos than it will do the job nicely instead windows photo manager but beside that heavy designing jobs will not be that easy on these versions of software.
dude_xyx
metalfreek wrote:
Yup the story is true that Adobe is giving their creative suite CS2 for free but these software are almost 10 years old and I don't think it will be compatible with new OS. Having said that, these products are not bad at all. If all you do is adjust some color and crop some photos than it will do the job nicely instead windows photo manager but beside that heavy designing jobs will not be that easy on these versions of software.

I don't know if it works in Windows 8 and Adobe Photoshop CS2 works fine in Windows 7. It's a quite powerful software. Since they have come up with CS series no huge changes has happened. There are more features for desktop publishers and photographers but for web designers no big important changes.
metalfreek
dude_xyx wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

I don't know if it works in Windows 8 and Adobe Photoshop CS2 works fine in Windows 7. It's a quite powerful software. Since they have come up with CS series no huge changes has happened. There are more features for desktop publishers and photographers but for web designers no big important changes.

Yup you are absolutely right about that. It might work great for web developers but its kind of useless for people manipulating photos.
sysna
This is another strategy for advertising a software, now you can test adobe products of 10 years ago freely but after you get addicted to it and then you found the CS2 uncompatible with your new OS then probably you will get more interested in buying their products.

Good luck adobe, I like their strategies.