FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The best poster of the year?

chasbeen
Maybe this would be an annual event starting with 2013?

Example of Criteria
1. Most posts
2. Best Author: This would be based on the average number of replies to all the topics the poster had started during the year.

What would you recommend for deciding the best poster?
cybersa
My Recommendation to Deanhills.
RosenCruz
deanhills and peterssidan imho Wink
deanhills
Do most number posts mean over a fixed period of time, or every one's total posts? Quality of posts is of course always subjective, so perhaps the quality can override the quantity in the final evaluation as quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality of course?

It would be a difficult choice for me to make as we have many quality posters. I've listed the quality posters I can think off alphabetically. Probably left out some, so my apologies to those I haven't mentioned.

I've bolded the members I thought did both quantity and quality posts consistently and regularly over a long period of time:

Alaskacameradude periodically contributes, and when he does brings great insights to the Politics Sub-Forum

Amagard does not post quantity posts, but all of his posts are TOP quality. He takes enormous trouble with each and every one of his posts, particularly his blog posts to the equivalent of tens of posts.

Ankhanu (3281 posts) makes great quality posts consistently and does make a large number of posts on a consistent basis.

BigGeek is a true Geek and writes some pretty awesome posts, in small numbers. However I'd count each post as a few by his high standard of posting.

Bikerman (12435 posts) has not been on lately, but has written consistently excellent posts in great bulk over a very long period of time.

Bondings always writes exceptional quality when he writes. One unofficial post of his usually counts for 10 as well. His official posts are always written with care and enormous patience and diplomacy.

Coolclay's posts (1450 posts) are ALWAYS excellent. All of his posts are exceptional quality.

c'tair has been quieter too, but his posts are always excellent quality.

Dennise doesn't do the quantity of posts, but always comes with quality points of view particularly in the Phil&Rel and Politics Sub-Forums.

D'Artagnan makes great posts with very unusual insights so I always look out for his too.

Dialogist posts bulk as well (819 posts). His posts have always been very well written and researched and have had quite a number of responses particularly in the Faith and Phil&Rel Sub-Forums.

GuidanceReader consistently contributes great quality posts.

Handfleisch has always been a controversial contributor to the Politics Forum although he has not been on as regularly as he used to be.

Hello_world has not contributed lately, but her posts are always interesting and controversial at times.

IceCreamTruck has contributed some stellar posts. He is particularly great on the solar system ones. And can be in his element in the Phil&Rel Forum as well.

TheGremlyn contributed awesome quality posts, each and every one she submitted was and is top quality.

Indi (3276 posts) consistently contributes great quality posts over a long period of time. Quality over quantity.

Haven't seen lucascoelho off late, but he contributed some great posts too.

LxGoodies writes great posts.

Matrix (2941 posts) has made a large number of genuinely high quality posts in great quantity particularly during summer and autumn of last year.

Ocalhoun (12180 posts) does not post as regularly now, but when he does, his posts are always to a very high standard.

Peterssidan (1852) is great on the technology side of things, so I'm always checking out his posts too.

Quex has not posted much off late but has created some sterling threads when here.

Sonlight writes awesome posts too. May not write bulk posts, but every post definitely counts.

TurtleShell hasn't written as much as she usually does, but writes great posts.

Vanilla (2350 posts) always takes enormous care with her posts, goes to great trouble with providing quality pictures too. I always look out for her posts.

Watersoul is a consistent contributor and writes good posts too.

Wellerchap is not a bulk poster but his photo contributions are always excellent.

William's posts are a must read. This guy is not a high volume poster, but the quality of one post for me is the equivalent of 10.
standready
Most post should mean nothing - quality IS everything! That said Dean posted an excellent list and of course left himself out.
chasbeen
I suppose I meant "consistently popular" rather than "quality".
As stated "quality" is subjective.

What I have suggested is that a programmer grabs each posters subjects and calculates the average number of replies a poster gets for his topics,
This could be translated into stars next to the posters picture image.
So If a poster gets more than 30 replies for a topic it's a 5 star topic.

However that poster might have 50 other topics and for all 51 the poster averages 3 stars only?

This needs a clever bit of database querying and programming to put everybodies star score under the total post number under their image,
Afaceinthematrix
deanhills wrote:
Matrix (2941 posts) has made a large number of genuinely high quality posts in great quantity particularly during summer and autumn of last year.

I am honored that I was nominated as I do, generally, spend quite a bit of time and research making posts - especially in the science and philosophy forums. However, do you realize that I did not post a single message in the entire month of February, almost all of March, all of May, and all of December?

When I have time I generally try to post as much as I can to make the forums active and contribute and I especially went to an effort that one month that you made a goal for us. However, when stuff happens in my life I tend to first eliminate extra-curricular internet activities.

I also have gotten in plenty of trouble from the moderators because of my love of using words that they insist on turning into asterisks for some annoying reason :) I also do not tend to have very many limits of what I can talk about. Like in real life, I'll talk about anything except for bigotry - which I do not tolerate.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I also do not tend to have very many limits of what I can talk about. Like in real life, I'll talk about anything except for bigotry - which I do not tolerate.
I've just read your post about wishing to visit Australia. You certainly have talent for writing anything under the sun. Who knows one day you could write a book about trekking around the globe. Cool
TheGremlyn
I feel guilty now. I never expected to be mentioned since I've been a ghost these past few months. Maybe I'll use this positive feedback to fuel an awesome comeback! I certainly feel better being able to get things off my mind and get them out there in the world. Although, while it's nice to type everything up I still dream of having these nice journals I could write in and pass those along down the family line like my Grandma Marie did...
LxGoodies
Thx for mentioning me too DeanHills, I agree with you about Ocalhoun.

I'd lke to name NickFYoung and Bikerman too because they succeed in discussing about religion, without loosing respect or flame the opponent to dust.

I agree with cybersa about you, I think Deanhills combines quality and quantity Smile

Lx
chasbeen
I wish you the best Gremlyn.
metalfreek
Choosing the best post or Author of the year would definitely be a tough task. May be admin could choose some post and put it as a poll and let frihost user vote for the best one.
Vanilla
Thank you for remembering me, DH. ^^ I love being a part of Frihost, it's the oldest forum I'm in and the one that continue to exist despite of the time being. I love to come here and see the same people from 5-6 years ago and some new people coming and staying. Very Happy

I agree with Lxgoodies, Bikerman should be named. I love his posts and I read almost everything that he posts, although I tend to not participate in the P&R forums.
Afaceinthematrix
deanhills wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I also do not tend to have very many limits of what I can talk about. Like in real life, I'll talk about anything except for bigotry - which I do not tolerate.
I've just read your post about wishing to visit Australia. You certainly have talent for writing anything under the sun. Who knows one day you could write a book about trekking around the globe. 8)

Thank you; however, travel books are a dime a dozen. I wouldn't write one.

On another note, I really don't care too much who was poster of the year for 2012. I think what we should recognize is newcomer of the year. This forum will never survive if we don't get active newcomers because eventually much of the old guard will move on. How many people with 1,000+ posts haven't been on here in three or more years?

We should be going to more effort to recruit and creating an inviting environment that encourages newcomers to stay. Therefore, we need to recognize newcomers who have contributed the most. That excludes people like myself, Deanhills, Bikerman, Vanilla, etc. Nickfyoung has been quite an active newcomer. I don't know of too many other active people that started in 2012. But, then again, I don't pay too much attention to who I am talking to (I just respond to the post and mostly ignore who wrote it) and I pay even less attention to how long people have been here.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
On another note, I really don't care too much who was poster of the year for 2012. I think what we should recognize is newcomer of the year. This forum will never survive if we don't get active newcomers because eventually much of the old guard will move on. How many people with 1,000+ posts haven't been on here in three or more years?
Excellent idea. By the way there are quite a few newcomers in the list I submitted. We do get quality newcomers, but it's actually getting them to stay which is the greater challenge.
_AVG_
I vote for Deanhills!

But yes, we should also have a best newcomer of the year, that'll encourage more quality posts Smile
RosenCruz
How about a best comeback? An old member visiting back and having some fun around the board with great posts !!! Wink
chasbeen
Oh my Gawd. This sounds like a load of ideas for...
Version 2 of Frihost

Does Twitter offer Free Hosting....
Nah
Facebook?
Non
Linked In?
Nada

Frihost could end up as...
Another Social Media Hub!!!!