FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP, Ruby or Python scripting?

codegeek
I am thinking about learning a language for server side scripting. My original intention was to learn PHP. However, some of my friends recommend learning Ruby on rails, and yet others say that Python scripting can do pretty much everything PHP does and is easier to learn and use. I am in a sort of dilemma. Which one would you recommend?
D'Artagnan
nowadays i would start with ruby, but don't confuse ruby with ruby on rails, rails is but a framework and learning rails is not the same as learning ruby , ruby is an awesome language and goes much beyond rails...

i would choose to start ruby just because its a language that attracts me, i know php a lot and some python with django and both are great languages, don't go too much with the hype.
ZeytinGrafik
i started with php and learned phyton and ruby. Phyton may be easy but i would recommend ruby or php.
rjraaz
I do not have any knowledge about Ruby and planning to make my hand dirty with it. But, do know where should I need to start from.

So, the choice is become limited to Python and PHP for me. Python is easy to learn as compared to PHP but it is not much efficient than PHP. I must go with PHP.
ZeytinGrafik
W3schools. Com has everything that a Web programmer needs except ruby :-[
rjraaz
Quote:

Yes, I much familiar with that website.
jordivh
ZeytinGrafik wrote:

I am learning and this site helps me alot.
Nyasro
i have just learned PHP and i think PHP is easy and great

I think i will go for ruby next
codersfriend
PHP is a nice scripting language to start with. You may also try some php frameworks after learning the basics like codeigniter or laravel.
Radar
While I haven't tried Ruby, I think those are a pretty good three to be choosing from. You shouldn't be able to go far wrong.
apsdehal
Look if you are onto learning a server side programming language. Consider following points:-

1.If you are new to programming start with ruby, will help as it creates complex websites on the fly with less amount of work to be done by you.

2. If you have some prior experience in programming go with python as this language is a worth to learn about as its vast applications in other field and no messing up with security issues.

3.With php you will get to learn how things actually happen how to safeguard your database, its also good to start, php was the first programming language I ever learned, and majority of websites are hosted on php in the current times.

4. Last but not the least move on to perl to truly experience power of third gen, programming lang. perl may look complex at times but once you get inside it, you will feel awesome
Gadict
I've worked with PHP a little bit. It was actually fairly simple.

I've never used Python for server-side applications, but I've been using it for other things a little for over a year now. I would honestly lean more towards Python, it's easier to learn, and has more general-purpose applications. Two birds with one stone, pretty much.
TomS
Show me a cheap or even free host that supports either Ruby or Python.
Seems like an easy choice to me, if you don't have any experience in any of the languages.
Furthermore PHP is actually built for this purpose. "Hypertext Preprocessor"
vat322
Many people say that python is best for beginners. But, I learnt PHP first & python and trust me I felt PHP is far better than python for beginners.
Extreme-Codes
codegeek wrote:
I am thinking about learning a language for server side scripting. My original intention was to learn PHP. However, some of my friends recommend learning Ruby on rails, and yet others say that Python scripting can do pretty much everything PHP does and is easier to learn and use. I am in a sort of dilemma. Which one would you recommend?

I would start with Php. Much easier to learn from Wink
chavanshashank
To select,
PHP for its similar syntax to other languages like C,Cpp
and Python is for code readability Smile
jajarvin
I learned first PHP and then Python.
mahmutabi1
I learned PHP and after I learn Python. I realize Python was really easy for me. Because PHP harder. Python is so easy and fast. I suggest Python!