FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

sleep early

cooky24
I have work hard everyday, and i need to sleep early
But when i am in bed, and play with my phone, the time is going soon, it is easy to 22:00 or 23:00
Then i can not get up early in the morning
I do not like this, but i do not like sleep early too, what should i do?
linux1993
I used to use my phone in bed at night, it affects my sleeping quality very badly. Then I use my mp3 player to listen to some soft songs such as piano to let me sleep early
Radar
Get a new phone? One that will not allow you to engage in distracting activities?

I know that sounds drastic, but hey, it sounds like it could work, and you sound ready for drastic ideas.
grofet
delete all the applications that you like to use one the phone or sleep on the office it would a lot better (win win solutions)
rx9876
You already know the problem is the phone, so you can leave it on the desk.
This might help you a lot.
jajarvin
I had the same problem for many years time. Finally I found the solution.
The solution is simple:
Do not do anything that requires intellectual effort, for example, after 21:00.
deanhills
Apparently the body needs a good supply of melatonin for it to feel sleepy at the right time. And computers zap us of melatonin. So it may work well if one stayed away from computers for a few hours before going to bed. I don't think I can, or better put, I don't want to. But I guess as long as I spend as many hours in front of a computer LCD at night, I'll probably not have enough sleeping hours. And that of course is bad for one's health. Darn!
Nick2008
Yes, as deanhills stated, it is well known that the body actually needs to start relaxing and slowing down before you go to sleep. I believe I read somewhere that you should avoid using your mobile, watching TV, or using the computer in the hour before you go to sleep. I've heard that having a warm bath, listening to soft music, and reading are all good activities that help take your mind off of the thoughts of the day. One of the main reasons people have a hard time falling asleep is because they have so many thoughts racing through their mind that it interferes with their attempt to relax.

I know that I have a hard time falling asleep if I'm constantly thinking about something or planning how I'm going to accomplish the tasks of tomorrow. I always find it best to try to take my mind off of these things, which of course is easier said than done, but if you can do it (and you get better at it over time) then you will definitely get a better night's sleep.
standready
SIMPLE! Don't take the phone to bed. Leave the phone in another room!
deanhills
standready wrote:
First thing I do when I check into a hotel, is to disconnect the phone in the room, and if I can remove it, put it in one of the cupboards along with all of the instructions, and marketing materials that have been set up every where. Phone is part of the clutter for me. Very Happy
playfungames
To stop yourself from using the phone and wasting your sleep time I think you should try to make your phone less accessible to you. Put the phone in a place far away from your bed, may be lock it inside a cupboard/drawer and put the keys of the drawer somewhere far. Then get in your warm bed and since it is winter (if you are in the norther hemisphere), you will feel lazy to come out of the warmth and may be you will lose the habit.
cybersa
Keep your phone drain while in the day.
So you put it on charge in the night.
So you wont use it while charging.
inoshi
deanhills wrote:
standready wrote:
First thing I do when I check into a hotel, is to disconnect the phone in the room, and if I can remove it, put it in one of the cupboards along with all of the instructions, and marketing materials that have been set up every where. Phone is part of the clutter for me. Very Happy

Exactly. Plus start learning how to meditate, then you can manage to detach yourself form technology easier, and bring yourself to chill as you go to sleep if needed.

You are placing too much importance on live connectivity and screentime.

Blessings Pray,

Inoshi
nickfyoung
Us humans are a very methodical thing and develop habits. Habits just tend to grow and once entrenched can be difficult to eradicate. However, you can train yourself to develop the habits that you want. This includes sleeping early. Decide what you want and start doing it. Sleep early. Of course the body will object initially because you are going against another habit but if you make the change and do it regularly after a while the new habit will develop. I believe that we are to be in control of our body and not let our body control us as is so often the case. So take charge and tell your body what you want it to do. It will protest for a while but once you have regained control you will feel better for it.
inoshi
nickfyoung wrote:
Us humans are a very methodical thing and develop habits. Habits just tend to grow and once entrenched can be difficult to eradicate. However, you can train yourself to develop the habits that you want. This includes sleeping early. Decide what you want and start doing it. Sleep early. Of course the body will object initially because you are going against another habit but if you make the change and do it regularly after a while the new habit will develop. I believe that we are to be in control of our body and not let our body control us as is so often the case. So take charge and tell your body what you want it to do. It will protest for a while but once you have regained control you will feel better for it.

I do not see it as controlling the body, or the body controlling me. It's listening to my body and letting my body do what it needs to do. If the body truly doesn't want to sleep, then let it stay awake awhile longer. The problem is in the head-body dichotomy, and getting stuck in the head, or distracting mental aspects, not the body per se. I agree about habits.

Interesting Discussion,

Inoshi
_AVG_
Try taking an afternoon power nap if that helps. But it's a different issue if you have to work everyday all through the afternoon.\So otherwise I suggest just switching your phone off (or giving it to a friend initially) - will power is an effective way to change your habits.
deanhills
I've had a really good week so far sleep wise. For the first time perhaps in years. Started on Sunday evening, when instead of moving towards the computer and Internet after dinner and some relaxation, I moved to bed, as early as 8:30 p.m. Last night it was 9:00 p.m. So four nights in a row of seven hours sleep (my usual is 4 to 5 hours). I get up at 4:00 a.m. and check the Internet then. Now if only I can stick to this sleep routine. But that is difficult, particularly when I have to go out. And on top of it I really don't like routine at all. It does not come natural to me.
coolclay
I have no idea, ease of sleep is one of those things my brain does not have a problem with. You just close your eyes, shut off your brain, and go to sleep. If that doesn't work try reading a textbook of any sort. It's short to lull you to sleep!
c'tair
deanhills wrote:
I've had a really good week so far sleep wise. For the first time perhaps in years. Started on Sunday evening, when instead of moving towards the computer and Internet after dinner and some relaxation, I moved to bed, as early as 8:30 p.m. Last night it was 9:00 p.m. So four nights in a row of seven hours sleep (my usual is 4 to 5 hours). I get up at 4:00 a.m. and check the Internet then. Now if only I can stick to this sleep routine. But that is difficult, particularly when I have to go out. And on top of it I really don't like routine at all. It does not come natural to me.

Shocked

4-5 hours? Great Scott! If I get less than 7 hours of sleep I feel my mind is like a swimmer trying to swim in a pool filled with jell-o. I used to go down to 4-5 hours of sleep per night when I had work and school, but the quality of both of those activities suffered greatly. Do you think your body is somehow suited for less sleep? If you have any secret, I'd love to hear about it because having an extra 2-3 hours per day would be a god-send at this moment in life Smile .

As for me, I feel like I have to sleep 7-8 hours. No more, no less. I used to use the computer a lot before bed, but I quit doing that and instead started taking long, warm showers. Puts me to sleep quicker than you can say "Mississippi".
Sabbadon
I work on IT, so computer all day... when I go home, computer gaming.. but when I go to bed, i don't bring phone/netbook or other.. watch tv till 23, max till midnight and then I force myself to power it off.
even if I stay in bed about 8 hours, I don't sleep 8 hours, may I sleep about 5.. but I close my eyes for 8 hours, thinking and so on.. but this recharge my batteries Wink.
deanhills
c'tair wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Shocked

4-5 hours? Great Scott! If I get less than 7 hours of sleep I feel my mind is like a swimmer trying to swim in a pool filled with jell-o. I used to go down to 4-5 hours of sleep per night when I had work and school, but the quality of both of those activities suffered greatly. Do you think your body is somehow suited for less sleep? If you have any secret, I'd love to hear about it because having an extra 2-3 hours per day would be a god-send at this moment in life Smile .

As for me, I feel like I have to sleep 7-8 hours. No more, no less. I used to use the computer a lot before bed, but I quit doing that and instead started taking long, warm showers. Puts me to sleep quicker than you can say "Mississippi".
I hammered my body - pure stubbornness that kept me awake - just did not want to go to sleep. Some nights I went through without sleeping at all. I need seven hours myself so it could not have been good for me.

My early sleeping habit is in its second week now. I go to bed at around 9:00 p.m. and get up at 4:00 a.m. Aiming for seven hours. Last night I was tempted to check on Frihost before going to bed, but then thought I could do it first thing when I woke up. However got six hours sleep last night instead of the seven. Part of my sleeping tricks is to make the room as dark as I can. So when I woke up, and felt my alarm clock turned off, thought it was 4:30 a.m., then after I was up realized it was only 3:30 a.m. and I must have forgotten to turn the alarm clock on - it was still turned off from the previous night. Darn! Great thing is that I'm really tired by 9:00 p.m. these days.

We're going into a long weekend here - starting tomorrow - and decided to go to Muscat, Oman again for something different to do. Hope I'll be able to reset this newly acquired habit when I return. I find that if one can set it for the first day of the work week, that it is easier to continue for the rest of the week. Maybe I'm more of a creature of habit than I thought.
spinout
easy, get older! The older yoou get the less sleep you require.

AND you will be less tired in the mornings...

I remembered the times when I hardly could stay awake at the wheel in the mornings. nowadays is only 2 pm my tough time, then I always are tired!
shashwatblack
thankfully i don;t need to wake up early.. 7 or even 8 works... and i can stay awake upto 2.. i usually sleep at 1..
only a few times do i have to wake up early.. and it's never much a problem.. an alarm does the trick..
for you i recommend a book before bed. instead of a cell phone. when you make a habit, it's easy to sleep at the exact time you want, and wake up the exact time you want..
in the morning, ask someone to wake you up.. even a call helps..
takehousely
I often sleep lately. After completing my job, I often play game or coffee with friends. And I can't sleep early because I often sleep lately when student.
raaeft1
For almost 30 years as a working journalist, I slept very late in the night. I felt tired the next day. However, since i resigned my job a couple of months ago, i sleep before midnight and wake up fresh and energetic. Also, sleeping early helps in weight loss, so I am told. Let me see whether sleeping early helps me in reducing my weight.
LxGoodies
sleep.. 4.5 to 6 hrs a night

I go inactive (read eg newspaper) ca 2:00 AM, sleep ca 3:00 AM

Week days get up 7:15, weekends.. anything goes

I'm online.. ca 8-12 hrs a day, 7 days p/week

Razz Lx
chatrack
Late sleeping is seems to me an addiction, which is unhealthy.

Find time for mobile games in daytime itself. Listen to some cool music before going sleep
bukaida
We have heard it in our childhood--
Early to bed and early to rise
Makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

Now late night sleep is always bad before any working day, as you will feel dizzy for the entire next day.
The mobile phone emits microwave radiation and excites our brain cell and keeps us awake. So keeping it near your head in switched on condition is very unhealthy. So in addition to stop playing around with the applications, the device also need to be switched off to have a nice sleep.
deanhills
I seem to be still OK with getting to bed early. Sort of UNREAL for me, but it's amazing how when I go to bed early (between 9:00 to 10:00 p.m.) that I get a longer length of sleep. Like seven hours in one stretch. If I go to bed at 12:00 for example, I'll only sleep five hours in one stretch. Hope I can continue this. Not sure whether there is a vast improvement overall in how I feel during my waking hours, but common sense says over a long period of time it will make a difference. I do feel as though I have a little halo over my head already. Razz
lovescience
It does make a difference when sleep early. It is easier to get up early and feel good than to sleep late at night. When sleep late at night, it is easy to get up late or to not feel good when not get enough of sleep.
kmr_mukund
the main is your phone.so keep distance with your phone at the time of sleeping.or use that type of phone which is very simple,means it should not have any functionality in which you involve in the night.