FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm dreaming of some wifi-control software

ocalhoun
I'm dreaming of having a wonderful little piece of software to control wifi connections... It would work like this:
Code:

(If wifi is enabled)
At user-specified intervals (such as daily, every hour, every 15 minutes, et cetera), this software will check to see if the computer is connected to the internet.

If it is connected, the software will just go back to waiting and do nothing.

<marker A>
If it is NOT connected, the software will disconnect from any wireless network if it is connected to one.
It will then attempt to connect to the most recent wifi connection that provided an internet connection, if it is available.
After connecting, it will test to see if internet connection has been restored. If not it will:
Choose the next available secured wifi connection for which the computer has a stored passcode.
After connecting, it will test to see if internet connection has been restored. If not it will:
Choose the next secured wifi connection after that, and so on, until no secure connections remain untried.
Choose the next unsecured wifi connection (can be disabled by user)
Choose the next one untried one after that, until no connections remain untried
Reset the wireless network adapter, then:
Go back to <marker A> and try it all over again

If any of those steps result in the internet connection being successfully restored, it will stop until the specified time interval occurs again.

This would be extremely useful in two situations:
First, when using a computer on an unstable or intermittent connection, especially if you're leaving it to run internet-related tasks on its own.
Second, on mobile devices, it would be great for maintaining internet connection as much as possible scrounging on whatever wifi networks are available at the time as you move around. -- without the hassle of doing all those steps yourself.

So, my question... is there any software out there that does something resembling this?