FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 7 and gaming

XchaosX
Which version of windows 7 should I get from gaming. I mainly would be playing minecraft but I also try some games on steam Day Z, Skyrim, ETC. Also what's the diference between home professional and ultimate
tdossi
The games are 64bit capable?

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium and this is really very good

They can play well all the same, the more Depends on your hardware.

The best Windows will not help if your hardware is not suitable and not enough resources. 64-bit processor, 8 GB of memory and and and

Windows 7 Professional is aimed primarily at the business sector. It includes all the features of the Home Premium edition and has, as. Well as the other editions, Ultimate and Enterprise, a limitation of the working memory of 192 GB It supports Windows Server domains. The XP Mode lets you run programs that would otherwise not work on Windows 7. With the Professional version, the games like Minesweeper, Solitaire and FreeCell are not installed by default, but can be added later. The Games Explorer, however, is installed by default, since it is only a specific folder in Windows Explorer. Microsoft provides for the Professional and Enterprise editions after the Mainstream Support phase to an Extended Support phase.

Windows 7 Ultimate contains the functions of all the other versions and is aimed at small business owners who use their PC for private and business, as well as home users who run their computers at home as well as in the corporate network. Ultimate also offers, among other things, the BitLocker disk encryption and booting from virtual disks in VHD format. Also allows the user at any time to change the system language.

MOD - Serial posts combined with first in series. Please review The Forum Rules and the Frihost FAQ
-Ankhanu
XchaosX
I've got the hardware but its only 32 bit I thought I could get away with it also Minecraft needs to run a 64 bit because I ran Minecraft on my Mac and it was 32 bit but couldn't get multiplayer to work
Ultrak1ll
I guess minecraft didn't run because it was a Mac and maybe java wasn't correctly installed.

You can run 32 bit software on 64 bit hardware, but not 64 bit soft on 32 bit hardware or operating system.
ZeytinGrafik
buy any version you'd like. Cheapest 64bit version would do the trick. The games you play are new and they run great on 7.
drunkenkoz
I believe I bought the cheap version of Windows 7 when I first got this new computer of mine. I have no need for all the perks that the premium gives.
codegeek
As has already been pointed out, the version of Windows you have on your PC will probably play a negligibly small part in your experience with heavy games. What do matter, however, are the processor capacity, amount of RAM, the quality of the graphics card, and other hardware that your computer has.
drunkenkoz
I get what you mean. I'm currently running 16 GB of RAM, 1TB HD, AMD Phenom II 840 Dual Core Hyerthreaded 3.5 GHz, and a ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card.
subhan1
Ultimate is the best - go for it IMO
Sabbadon
I use Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit and it's ok..
Anyway, Home Premium 64bit is ok too as the core is the same
Professional - Ultimate have just just different for the management of Domains and backup and so on, but for gaming there's no differences between those 3 editions.
wombatrpgs
codegeek wrote:
As has already been pointed out, the version of Windows you have on your PC will probably play a negligibly small part in your experience with heavy games. What do matter, however, are the processor capacity, amount of RAM, the quality of the graphics card, and other hardware that your computer has.

This is correct, but that said, you should look at the other features that the versions of the OS have to offer.
takehousely
drunkenkoz wrote:
I believe I bought the cheap version of Windows 7 when I first got this new computer of mine. I have no need for all the perks that the premium gives.

Yes, Windows 7 Ultimate will run quickly when play game. I often setup my laptop by this problem
taytay
windows 7 Premium will be mostly all you need. I'd recommend Windows 7 professional. has some more functionality (mostly just Media Center on the residential side). I'm still not sure what makes Ultimate so special. The extra things it comes with I never use, and I'm an IT guy that does a LOT of random junk on computers ( appears random to most people anyway)

And get 64bit. Some games run in 64 bit, but windows 7 will run 32 bit things just fine. The benefit of 64 bit is you can have more than 4Gigs of Ram. More ram is Always nice! Especially if you do a lot of gaming. Or photo-shopping.. or video. I need the ram for video games in my personal time, or having 30 programs open at once in my work time.

Fun stuff!

DO NOT GET WINDOWS 8!! It's awful! I have it on my gaming laptop, and there's a lot of older games I can't play. it's sporadic for what it can and can't do. Most things do ok, some take special modification (Metro 2033 required me to use a special program to trick the game into thinking I had a different graphics card. That's mostly because it's a brand new graphics card, but the game couldn't figure out what it was at all without a program to force it to think it was an older card that was compatible)

There are plenty of things I don't like about 8 already.. So far, it's not the best for gaming, and I wish I had gone with windows 7. My only plus with windows 8 so far is it boots a little faster.... not much improvement for the sacrifices I'm having to make.
taytay
perhaps it was Widnows XP mode I was thinking of rather than Media center being my difference with Premium vs. professional. I did need XP mode for some of my programs. That's mostly IT stuff. or rather not having newer IT equipment in the workplace to support management on Windows 7... Or Rather the companies still being outdated that we purchase from.
testsoc
I like 8 just fine, and it's good for gaming too IMO. Try it for yourself before you believe the negative hype.
wombatrpgs
Ha, as long as it has classic mode.
biolu
As long as I know, any version of W7 should just run fine Minecraft. Just make sure Java is correctly installed.
wombatrpgs
biolu wrote:
As long as I know, any version of W7 should just run fine Minecraft. Just make sure Java is correctly installed.

Yeah, Java installation and OpenGL stuff only seem to be an installation issue on Linux-based machines.
urgentappliance
I am using Windows8 and I am quite happy with it.
CHAOS-THEORY
Dude Win7 eats up to 256mb of graphic memory plus ur Vram the rest is for you to go; be more logical men. Use XP sv2/3 or a modded version. or just be Honnored and use linux & dont play games lol. just some o them
^Unless you have 64-bit XP (which, in my short time using it, I did have issues with it) you're going to be limited to about 3.5 GB of RAM. And, of course, XP does not support DirectX 10 or 11, limiting you in what you can do. For older computers, and perhaps some older games, XP might be a bit better. But otherwise, there's little reason to not use Windows 7 (or now, Windows Cool for gaming.
dennisvdb94
XBOX 360 <3
abhinavm24
Well windows versions are less important if you have all needed libraries installed for the game.
Also it depends rather more on hardware capabilities. Laughing

Yep some game's require 64 bit OS and all games seem to work just fine on 64 bit,
so it seems sensible to get a 64 bit os.
Very Happy
rx9876
Win XP used 700M RAM, and WIN 7 used 1.2G RAM.
At the same 64bit machine, it depends on how many RAM it got.
If its RAM are above 4G, then WIN 7 is better than WIN XP.
WIN XP can only use 3.2G of the 4G RAM, and the RAM management is poor.
WIN 7 can use fully 4G RAM, and the RAM management is better.