FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Improve Frihost with (gr)8 Greasemonkey scripts

Peterssidan
Update: The scripts was initially written to only work with Greasemonkey in Firefox but I have realized that it is possible to make them run in other browser too. The install instructions for other browsers are listed after the list of scripts.

Greasemonkey is a Firefox extension that allows you to install scripts that makes changes to web pages. I have here a list of 8 Greasemonkey scripts that in various ways improves the user experience of Frihost. I hope you find at least some of them useful. To install a script you just have to press the install link (make sure you have Greasemonkey installed and enabled).

Enable comments for all blog posts
Install
Sometimes comments for all blog posts gets disabled for unknown reason. This script makes it easy to re-enable commenting for all your blog posts by adding two options at the bottom of the "All blog posts" page that you can use to enable and disable commenting for all your blog posts in one operation.

Latest blog comment link
Install
The link doesn't work for blog posts. This script makes it link to the last comment correctly.

Show all smilies
Install
When posting a message this script will show all smilies so that you don't have to press the "View more Emoticons" link. This also fixes the two smilies that was broken, by using [img] tags.

Insert BBCode and smilies at caret position
Install
This script makes it so that BBCode and smilies are inserted at the caret position instead of at the end of the textbox. All the functionality is taken from this phpBB2 hack.

Link to new user pages instead of old profile
Install
In many places the username is a link to the old profile page. This script changes the links so that they link to the new user pages instead.

Posts per day at user pages
Install
This script shows the average number of posts per day on the user pages so that you don't have to visit the old profile page to view this information.

Remove %20 from username
Install
If you visit the user page of a user with a name that contains spaces the spaces are displayed as %20. This script fixes this problem by replacing %20 with a normal space character.

Anti spam
Install
This script is designed to make it easier to detect spam. All links in the posts (not signatures) will be highlighted in yellow color to make it easy to see where the links are and to be able to spot 'hidden' links. The signature line is easy to fake so for that reason all signature lines will be displayed as _____SIGNATURE_____. If you see a normal signature line with this script installed you should be suspicious.

Chrome
The scripts have been tested to work with Chrome 23.0.1271.97 without installing any additional add-ons. Download the script files by right clicking on the install link and select Save link as.... Select Tools -> Extensions and drag and drop the downloaded script file on the Chrome window and press Add on the dialog window that pops up.

Opera
The scripts have been tested to work with Opera 12.12 without installing any additional add-ons. To install the scripts you have to download the scripts and put them in a directory of your choice. To tell Opera where to find the scripts select Settings -> Preferences..., select the Advanced tab, select Content, press the JavaScript Options... button, set the User JavaScript folder field to the directory where you put the script files and press OK.

Safari
In Safari you can probably make it work using GreaseKit or NinjaKit. I haven't tested it because they didn't support the Windows version of Safari and I don't have a Mac to try it on.
deanhills
Great scripts those Peterssidan. The anti-spam script in particular is right on the number. Thanks for posting these.
standready
A bit confused here. Are these for Bondings to install or individual members? What about not using Firefox?
Peterssidan
It is for individual members. If Bondings was to implement these features there are better ways to do it. Wikipedia says that some other browsers are capable of running some Greasemonkey scripts but I have only tested it with Greasemonkey in Firefox.

EDIT:
I just tested it in Chrome and all scripts except "Show all smilies" appeared to work. The way you install the scripts in Chrome is a bit clumsy but here is how you can do it. Download the script files by right clicking on the install link and select Save link as.... Select Tools -> Extensions and drag and drop the downloaded script file on the Chrome window and press Add on the dialog window that pops up.
rx9876
standready wrote:
A bit confused here. Are these for Bondings to install or individual members? What about not using Firefox?

Greasemonkey is a Firefox extension that allows you to install scripts that makes changes to web pages.

Those scripts alter the web pages after the browser downloaded and rendered them.
They only affect the users installed Greasemonkey and those scripts.

There is also a Greasemonkey can be installed in Chrome, but Chrome and Firefox have some differences in DOM and JavaScript commands, so the scripts might not work properly and need some modifications.
RosenCruz
As an Opera fan, I do not approve this post Razz
spinout
As a vintage car fan I don't approve it either! Laughing
Peterssidan
I have now updated and tested the scripts to work in at least Opera, Chrome and Firefox. Install instructions has been added at end of the first post.
zimmer
Peterssidan wrote:
Update: The scripts was initially written to only work with Greasemonkey in Firefox but I have realized that it is possible to make them run in other browser too. The install instructions for other browsers are listed after the list of scripts.

Greasemonkey is a Firefox extension that allows you to install scripts that makes changes to web pages. I have here a list of 8 Greasemonkey scripts that in various ways improves the user experience of Frihost. I hope you find at least some of them useful. To install a script you just have to press the install link (make sure you have Greasemonkey installed and enabled).

Enable comments for all blog posts
Install
Sometimes comments for all blog posts gets disabled for unknown reason. This script makes it easy to re-enable commenting for all your blog posts by adding two options at the bottom of the "All blog posts" page that you can use to enable and disable commenting for all your blog posts in one operation.

Latest blog comment link
Install
The link doesn't work for blog posts. This script makes it link to the last comment correctly.

Show all smilies
Install
When posting a message this script will show all smilies so that you don't have to press the "View more Emoticons" link. This also fixes the two smilies that was broken, by using [img] tags.

Insert BBCode and smilies at caret position
Install
This script makes it so that BBCode and smilies are inserted at the caret position instead of at the end of the textbox. All the functionality is taken from this phpBB2 hack.

Link to new user pages instead of old profile
Install
In many places the username is a link to the old profile page. This script changes the links so that they link to the new user pages instead.

Posts per day at user pages
Install
This script shows the average number of posts per day on the user pages so that you don't have to visit the old profile page to view this information.

Remove %20 from username
Install
If you visit the user page of a user with a name that contains spaces the spaces are displayed as %20. This script fixes this problem by replacing %20 with a normal space character.

Anti spam
Install
This script is designed to make it easier to detect spam. All links in the posts (not signatures) will be highlighted in yellow color to make it easy to see where the links are and to be able to spot 'hidden' links. The signature line is easy to fake so for that reason all signature lines will be displayed as _____SIGNATURE_____. If you see a normal signature line with this script installed you should be suspicious.

Chrome
The scripts have been tested to work with Chrome 23.0.1271.97 without installing any additional add-ons. Download the script files by right clicking on the install link and select Save link as.... Select Tools -> Extensions and drag and drop the downloaded script file on the Chrome window and press Add on the dialog window that pops up.

Opera
The scripts have been tested to work with Opera 12.12 without installing any additional add-ons. To install the scripts you have to download the scripts and put them in a directory of your choice. To tell Opera where to find the scripts select Settings -> Preferences..., select the Advanced tab, select Content, press the JavaScript Options... button, set the User JavaScript folder field to the directory where you put the script files and press OK.

Safari
In Safari you can probably make it work using GreaseKit or NinjaKit. I haven't tested it because they didn't support the Windows version of Safari and I don't have a Mac to try it on.

this is a good information. thanks for posting.
cybersa
Good Work.Peterssidan
Thanks fore spending some times to help others.
Really Very useful.
RosenCruz
Cool information. But I like to use my browser as "vanilla" with minimum add ons and extensions. These scripts might cause high RAM and cpu usage and/or cause browser crashes.

Just use the ones you need. Do not install extra stuff Wink
Gregoric
This one should be shared more widely; I have dound it through your signature after being here for over a year while those userscripts are indeed useful! I have installed first two and the fourth one. Thanks for writing these, my regards!

Maybe I'll write some CSS modifications for Stylish - I will let you know if I do so Smile
RosenCruz
Quote:
This one should be shared more widely; I have dound it through your signature after being here for over a year while those userscripts are indeed useful! I have installed first two and the fourth one. Thanks for writing these, my regards!

Almost every thread of Peter is the same. A very respected member here Wink
rjraaz
Nice Scripts Peter and I am also Greesmonkey lover. I use it and tried all these scripts.

Thanks for sharing to us.
chasbeen
This is for individuals enhancing and configuring their own browser to view Frihost configured to their own requirement.

Frihost is a blank canvas. Version 1 is dated. I'd love
To join a creative open source minded team and it will happen like this

One day a developer will say
"Let's put Frihost source on Github"
My work would be at the front end but it needs a team of people with additional skillsets...
Josso
This is awesome I missed this when it was posted for some reason
playfungames
Wow, those look like some great scripts to make our forum browsing and posting activity easier.

Is there also a script that gives us Facebook like notifications for our Forum posts? I mean, for a guy like me who visits forums every once in a while, I'd like to know what relevant updates there are to the posts that I have made. Most of the time, I am kind of lost from my last visit. Every time I visit the forums, I have to search my post history and go through a lot of browsing to see whats up. It would be much easier if I had a notification with counter right on top.
deanhills
playfungames wrote:
Wow, those look like some great scripts to make our forum browsing and posting activity easier.

Is there also a script that gives us Facebook like notifications for our Forum posts? I mean, for a guy like me who visits forums every once in a while, I'd like to know what relevant updates there are to the posts that I have made. Most of the time, I am kind of lost from my last visit. Every time I visit the forums, I have to search my post history and go through a lot of browsing to see whats up. It would be much easier if I had a notification with counter right on top.

Facebook has changed a bit from that angle pfg. Previously one could do a RSS feed from an external URL, but nowadays one can only do it from one's notifications. I tried to do it with my Facebook Web page from an external Website, and learned that way that it was not possible.

I still wonder how hard it is to check the Frihost home page that has all the recent posts listed down the right hand column of the page. All you need to do is type www.frihost.com in your address line and you've got all of the recent posts right in front of you with links and all. How hard is that to do?