FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Voices in your Head

nickfyoung
One of the major put downs when discussing faith in the other religion forum is the voices in the head delusion bit. Most seem to assume that if you are hearing from God or talking to God you have voices in your head and are at the least delusional and at the worst it seems to be implied that you are a raving lunatic.
What they can't understand of course is the concept of Christianity which starts with a 'born again' experience. At this point your spirit is re-connected with God and you have the Holy Spirit now living inside you.
So now you don't need to have voices in your head to communicate with God because he is right here inside you communicating with you from the inside so to speak.
When you get a 'revelation' from God or when he reveals something to you or shows you something you didn't know, it doesn't come by voices in the head delusional stuff. It is dropped right into your spirit direct from him.
Of course, the Atheist doesn't accept the concept of God or spirit or soul so he is naturally going to think delusion. Must be a lonely life, all alone in the universe like that.
watersoul
nickfyoung wrote:
Of course, the Atheist doesn't accept the concept of God or spirit or soul so he is naturally going to think delusion. Must be a lonely life, all alone in the universe like that.

Nope, for me it's a wonderfully vibrant experience of living my life focussing on the people I love in the 'real' world. An imaginary higher power would be a hinderance in my opinion.
Voices in your head would be justifiably considered delusional, but it appears you're describing simple feelings or hunches as a spiritual message - if that helps you get through life and harms no-one else then good luck Smile
nickfyoung
watersoul wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:

Nope, for me it's a wonderfully vibrant experience of living my life focussing on the people I love in the 'real' world. An imaginary higher power would be a hinderance in my opinion.
Voices in your head would be justifiably considered delusional, but it appears you're describing simple feelings or hunches as a spiritual message - if that helps you get through life and harms no-one else then good luck Smile

I think imaginary higher power is the key here. To you it is imaginary because you can't imagine it. To others it is real because they live it.
There will always be the gulf between the two.
You have a wonderful vibrant experience of life focusing on the people you love in the 'real' world and that is good. Others have that too and have in addition the wonderful vibrant experience of a relationship with a God and all that entails.
Everyone who has 'crossed over' to this type of life will attest to that. They used to get feelings and hunches before so they can tell the difference when it is God talking.
watersoul
nickfyoung wrote:
You have a wonderful vibrant experience of life focusing on the people you love in the 'real' world and that is good. Others have that too and have in addition the wonderful vibrant experience of a relationship with a God and all that entails.

I always found the God idea involved a one way conversation from my side, and as with any other such relationships it withered on the vine over the years, ending in disbelief.
I don't believe in a soul idea either though so perhaps your God has sacked me off as a lost cause and moved on to easier targets?
If all those miracles mentioned in scriptures hadn't stopped happening before living memory then maybe I'd think differently but as no gods have ever made any observable attempts at communicating with me I guess I'll have to take your word as something you believe you experience.

I am interested in how you would define the difference between me empathising with a life situation then acting positively as a result, compared to you perceiving a message to act from your God?
Two distinct processes? ...or would your explanation be that my empathy is the message from a spiritual force?
nickfyoung
watersoul wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:

I always found the God idea involved a one way conversation from my side, and as with any other such relationships it withered on the vine over the years, ending in disbelief.
I don't believe in a soul idea either though so perhaps your God has sacked me off as a lost cause and moved on to easier targets?
If all those miracles mentioned in scriptures hadn't stopped happening before living memory then maybe I'd think differently but as no gods have ever made any observable attempts at communicating with me I guess I'll have to take your word as something you believe you experience.

I am interested in how you would define the difference between me empathising with a life situation then acting positively as a result, compared to you perceiving a message to act from your God?
Two distinct processes? ...or would your explanation be that my empathy is the message from a spiritual force?

I still have the same empathetic resources to make the same decisions as you. This God thing doesn't replace or change anything in that regard.
You still seem to be looking at a message from God as an 'go do or act'. It is not necessarily the case but can be.
I perceive the Bible as God, in that it is his revealed word and contains all he wants us to know about him. This includes how he wants to communicate with us.
So now when we come to your life situation and empathize and take action, we do so with the added knowledge of God's will as revealed in the Bible.
So our actions should be in regard to his will.
As to messages from God, how to describe them. God certainly does give people instructions particularly in ministry roles. To us 'common subjects' they may not be so regular but can be. We have our general instructions from the Bible and while we walk in them we are on the right track. If we stray too far from those instructions we could get into trouble and may find his 'messages' getting stronger.
As we come across life's problems, we are not immune from them, we can take a certain comfort and a resilience to get through from his company.
If we get stuck and ask him for an answer he will give it to you but not as your message format. The answer will just drop into your mind while talking to someone or watching a ministry video or listening to a sermon etc. It could be a deep theological question that has been troubling you and when you ask for an answer it just comes.
So to sum it all up. Christianity is not about religion, church or anything structured but just a simple, friendly, loving relationship with God. He always seems to be just there when you need him.
zaxacongrejo
if you are listening to voices better to visit a doctor
nickfyoung
zaxacongrejo wrote:

You got that right. Maybe even a psychologist. They will give you a little room with padding all around.
watersoul
nickfyoung wrote:
zaxacongrejo wrote:

You got that right. Maybe even a psychologist. They will give you a little room with padding all around.

How are 'voices' anymore crazy than your alleged God-inspired-feelings-to-act Nick?
I've not ridiculed anyone in the Faith forum about padded rooms and I shall continue refraining from doing so.
nickfyoung
watersoul wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:
zaxacongrejo wrote:

How are 'voices' anymore crazy than your alleged God-inspired-feelings-to-act Nick?
I've not ridiculed anyone in the Faith forum about padded rooms and I shall continue refraining from doing so.

They probably do sound just as crazy to you. That is understandable.

The only one I am ridiculing here is me, in a tongue in check way.

I will give you one little example. I was watching a video of one of the great healing ministries of the last century. God told him to leave the US and go to Africa to minister. He had no money but managed to raise enough for the fare. On the dock with no cash left he discovered he needed x amount of dollars for him and his family to be admitted through customs.
God told him to get in the line anyway. There he was getting closer and closer to the officer with no cash at all when a guy approached him and said that God had told him to give him some money. It was enough to get them into the country.
So they came out the other side and were wondering where to go next when a lady approached and asked if he was a ministry with a party of 6 and told them God told her to give them her house for as long as they needed it.

You can choose not to believe this sort of stuff but it is happening all the time.
emedeiros
nickfyoung wrote:

Well, actually I believe that people that creates imaginary friends are usually the lonesome ones to begin with.

MODERATOR - Italics replaced by quote tags; please use quote tags when quoting others. Please refer to the forum rules here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-13011.html
- Ankhanu
tonberry
Religion topics on forums are the best example of stubbornness of us humans. I don't recall anyone ever convincing anyone else to change his opinion Smile These kind of things seem to never change through conversation and the most popular intention in starting a thread is to convince others of something the OP believes or just to create a flame war.

Nickfyoung, you discredit one story in favor of another, but most people don't see much difference between hearing voices and acting on the supernatural feeling. They're both high up there in the pantheon of madness.

I believe most of the time this kind of feeling is born to fill the emptiness inside and is a substitute for normal life. Even if there is a conscious God with man-like qualities and he is communicating with you, spending your life communicating with him must be the laziest and lamest way to live a life. We were born to make stuff happen, not to contemplate on the gloriousness of the Creator. This would be insulting to the very reason you and me were created and if he spends his omnipotent existence talking to humans, well he might be drunk and it would be best to leave him alone.
Paradigm
I agree with a previous poster in that lack of "communication" with a higher-spiritual-being allows me more time to do the things I find genuinely important, such as making connections and improving relationships with people I love and care about. You can be moral and successful without being religious, and I personally believe it can be quite easy to do so. I find blind obedience to things without using some sort of sound mental process to determine whether it even makes logical sense quite ridiculous, and the fact that that makes me a minority in the religious realm is absolutely absurd to me.