FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Animal Moral Behavior

Dennise
Many people believe there is a very clear distinction between humans and animals. Others believe that distinction is constantly blurring.

Of several ways to test that black and white human-animal 'boundary' consider ethics, morals, empathy, altruism and other characteristics that are usually reserved for only human behavior.

In an interesting Ted Talks piece, Frans de Waal examines such behavior. You may be surprised by his findings.

Check it out here. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CEEQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGcJxRqTs5nk&ei=g5rcUMbsNufg2wXLjIHoBQ&usg=AFQjCNFhtscwTlH0T6cM0eRSo6HlfmvaAw&sig2=sL-zX0ZbvE10YXhv4aeCMQ&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.b2I

What do you think?
zaxacongrejo
Evil or Very Mad this is how i look in an animal episode
Ankhanu
I didn't watch the video (yet), but the human/animal distinction is one that is pretty arbitrary in general (especially given that we are an animal subset). I mean, yes, we are a distinct species, that is clear, but no single attribute distinguishes us from the other animals... It's all a matter of degrees.

That this TED presenter might find and report that other animals display "moral" behaviour is nothing new at all, unless it is a specific behaviour that hasn't been reported on previously... animal ethics/ morality has been long observed.
Wait, is this the video involving monkeys recognizing cheating in reward systems and the connection to a sense of fairness and justice? That was a neat talk... but I get the sense from the OP that it wasn't that talk:P
I'm in bed ow, but I'll. watch it tomorrow.
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:
I mean, yes, we are a distinct species, that is clear, but no single attribute distinguishes us from the other animals... It's all a matter of degrees.

No physical attribute perhaps... but there are some behavioral traits that are very specific to humans.

But do species boundaries even matter?

I often wonder how human viewpoints on the subject would change if there was another equally intelligent species on the planet.
Dennise
Quote:
I often wonder how human viewpoints on the subject would change if there was another equally intelligent species on the planet.

Yes me too, and why is there such a huge gap between homo sapiens and the next most intelligent species ..... apes?

To answer you question, about what how human viewpoints, were there another equally intelligent species here. One very simple answer is likely ...... wars. That is why I think the above human - ape gap is so large. Any real threat to our existence may have been killed off long ago.