FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is 1+1*0?

What is 1+1*0?
"1"
78%
 78%  [ 30 ]
"0"
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 38

theinfernox
What is 1+1*0?
Nick2008
"1" of course because of order of operations.
deanhills
Agreed with Nick.

1+(1*0)

1. Multiplication first (1*0) = 0

1+0=1

Since it's elementary, was there a catch theinfernox?
cybersa
My vote for "1"
standready
"1" is the loneliest number! Also, the correct answer!
inuyasha
Basically it's "1", as we all know multiplication first.

deanhills wrote:
Since it's elementary, was there a catch theinfernox?

Perhaps there is. Very Happy
For further discussion, since frihosters are mostly IT people, I wonder if it is just a logic algorithm problem. That is,
"+" represents "OR"
"*" represents "AND"
That would be "0" for "OR" and "AND" are of the same priority.
Cosmoslayer
Is it 110? I'm bad at Math! Embarassed
andro_king
Zero
kelseymh
andro_king wrote:
Zero

Wrong. There are no popularity polls or opinions. Mathematics, and especially basic arithmetic, is well-defined. Multiplication and division operations happen (in order from left to right) before addition or subtraction.
inuyasha
kelseymh wrote:
andro_king wrote:
Zero

Wrong. There are no popularity polls or opinions. Mathematics, and especially basic arithmetic, is well-defined. Multiplication and division operations happen (in order from left to right) before addition or subtraction.

Perhaps that's a logic expression instead of an arithmetic one. I'm not sure~
k_s_baskar
the answer is 1 because of arithmetic operator handling in computers.
you can get in depth details here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations
_AVG_
If you rephrase the question with brackets it would be more unambiguous. Otherwise it's 1.

(1+1)*0 = 0 while 1+(1*0)=1

In any case, the order of operations with multiplication first is the accepted convention.
Afaceinthematrix
_AVG_ wrote:
If you rephrase the question with brackets it would be more unambiguous. Otherwise it's 1.

(1+1)*0 = 0 while 1+(1*0)=1

In any case, the order of operations with multiplication first is the accepted convention.

1+(1*0) is completely redundant. There is no need for those parenthesis because the order of operations already tells us that we must multiply before adding. All that does is add extra characters to the expression which clogs it up and makes it look much more messy. Mathematics (even arithmetic) is all about simplicity. Yes, mathematics get extremely complicated (when looking at extremely complicated ideas) but you're still always trying to find the simplest solution or representation of some problem and the simplest and most elegant way is always considered the best way.
shashwatblack
the answer is 1
1 + 1 * 0
= 1 + 0
= 1

MOD - Spam link removed. Please review The Forum Rules and the Frihost FAQ
-Ankhanu
darthrevan
Yup simple equals one. Multiplications are done before adding
asnani04
It is 1. The priority order of the various arithmetic operators is the basic principle used here. I am surprised that 14% people have actually voted for "zero". Razz
johans
theinfernox wrote:
What is 1+1*0?

0 (zero) is my final answer and i vote for 0. Any number multiply with zero is zero. This is Math 101 lol.
Nick2008
johans wrote:
theinfernox wrote:
What is 1+1*0?

0 (zero) is my final answer and i vote for 0. Any number multiply with zero is zero. This is Math 101 lol.

Right, any number multiplied by zero is zero. But the 1+1 that comes before the zero is not a number. Therefore, you must multiply first and then add, so it's one by order of operations.

See, Wolfram|Alpha clearly verifies this:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1%2B1x0
johans
my mistake.. my FINAL answer is 1.

lol. Very Happy
codegeek
The BODMAS (or PEMDAS, depending on what part of the world you are from. In any case, both are the same and completely valid rules) rule clearly applies here. According to this rule, we always multiply before we add. So, the answer is 1 + 0 which is 1.
subhan1
using BODMAS it's 1
but if calculated in sequence it's 0
sysna
of course it is 1 because multiply affects faster than plus then the plus occurs and so the answer is one.
twotrophy
Here is my answer:
1+1*0
=1+(1*0)
=1 + 0
=1

When I saw this question, I actually thought that the answer was 0 until I read the posts above. Multiplication and division comes first before addition and subtraction. Of course, numbers in brackets always come first.
mzprox
depends on definition, but 99,999% of the time the result is '1' Smile
Skumfuk
Definitely 1.

I wonder why many answers the other way around though.
It's quite basic i think.
Arrogant
It depends..
May be one may be zero
It depends on how you calculate the expression
Though the desired answer is 1.
Bikerman
No it doesn't depend - there are rules for arithmetic and the order is fixed - BODMAS*
1+1*0 is the same as
1+(1*0)
which obviously gives

*Brackets, ordinals, divide/multiply,add/subtract - in that order
Arrogant
There are rules for maths but some old calcs used to give zero's
kelseymh
Arrogant wrote:
There are rules for maths but some old calcs used to give zero's

Yes, because those "old calculators" were not built or programmed properly. The rules and conventions used in arithmetic are unambigous.
Bikerman
This is where the computer geeks like me wax on about Reverse Polish Notation (the best known system of Representation Mike is talking about). In RPN, for example,
5 1 2 + 4 * + 3 -\

would be how we would write

5 + ((1 + 2) * 4) − 3
DonRolf
I can't imagine people getting something like this wrong Sad
spinout
hm... 1+1*O = 2*O nah... error... Algebra is hard... hm...
hm.... 1+1*O = 1+O yes!!! But I wonder how much that O is worth...??? Hopefully not zero, no use of that, and hopefully not irrational, if so I would answer 2 or more - Aha, tough luck... my answer is not in the voting list!!!
Nyasro
one
Ircher
Both 0 and 1 ARE correct!
If you type 1+1*0 into Microsoft Windows Calculator in Standard mode, it = 0 because it doesn't follow the Order of Operations (actually, most calculators don't).

According to the order of operations, it is equal to 1.

- That's your Middle-Schooler for you.
Bikerman
Most calculators? Not sure about that - the three I have here all return the correct answer (1). 0 is not correct, despite the fact that the windows calculator returns 0 in standard mode.
The rules of arithmetic are not ambiguous and 0 is simply wrong.
Arrogant
one
manfer
Ircher wrote:
Both 0 and 1 ARE correct!
If you type 1+1*0 into Microsoft Windows Calculator in Standard mode, it = 0 because it doesn't follow the Order of Operations (actually, most calculators don't).

According to the order of operations, it is equal to 1.

- That's your Middle-Schooler for you.

When you click 1 followed by + folowed by 1 followed by * followed by 0 in a windows calculator in standard mode you are not doing the operation 1 + 1 * 0 because that calculator can only do one operation at a time. What you are doing is 1 + 1 and multiplying the result by 0. The same as any other operations you'll do with a windows calcultor in standard mode and with any non scientific calculator that is not able to compute more than one operation at a time. All those calculation tools compute operations from left to right one operation at a time.

Arithmetic rules are not changed no matter if someone is not able to use properly a calculation tool.
Nyasro
1 ofcourse
harrer
In school we learnt the BODMAS Rule.
All the operators are performed in order of priority.

B - Brackets, every expression inside a bracket is processed first.
O - Of, functions. f(x) is spoken as f of x.
D - Division
M - Multiplication
A - Addition
S - Subtraction