FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shallow materialism

watersoul
Quote:
Oxford Street bustled with activity as shoppers scrambled over each other in a hunt for Boxing Day bargains.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d0794f2c-4f7f-11e2-a744-00144feab49a.html#axzz2GBasBLIH

Wow, just saw it on the TV news, almost ashamed to share the same species.
deanhills
Darn! Financial Times wants us to register to read the article. Am at an Internet Cafe, and will check the article out tomorrow, however got the point about all of the sales and consumerism. People gone mad. I remember I used to not like boxing day in Vancouver, BC as that was a totally crazy day to be out shopping. All of the advertisements bombarding us days before boxing day and people readying themselves with cash and everything instead of Xmas presents for hitting the shops on boxing day.
slimviking
watersoul wrote:
Quote:
Oxford Street bustled with activity as shoppers scrambled over each other in a hunt for Boxing Day bargains.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d0794f2c-4f7f-11e2-a744-00144feab49a.html#axzz2GBasBLIH

Wow, just saw it on the TV news, almost ashamed to share the same species.

a bunch of sheeps Crying or Very sad
ocalhoun
slimviking wrote:

a bunch of sheeps Crying or Very sad

Please don't insult sheep that way.
teno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsOBlhsDaIY

YT is full of people displaying their poor greedy characters. The mind of the human being can develop in hundreds of different directions. It's the environment that decides the actual direction. We live in capitalistic societies hence you see billions of people with underdeveloped or misdeveloped mindsets.

(Forgot to mention: IMHO)

EDIT: ocalhoun, I like your signature. This Mikhail Bakunin quote is so true. Though I don't think the term "socialim" can be used anymore. It is so overloaded (and abused) history wise. But however future generations will call it, it would suit humanity well, if they'd develop a new form of society that does exactly that: Protecting the liberty of the individual but not at the expense of social justice.
capricornis
I used to read the Financial Times a lot, but since their greedy online policy where they don't even allow a few free articles per month (like the New York Times) I started completely ignoring them