FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

BLOG or Forums

zimmer
Can you give the best reasons what is the different of BLOG and Forums? most blog now can response on the post.

What i have know in the blog is that the post and no one response we simply read there blog post but now most of the blog is like a forum where you can discuss each other on there blog its just the same function on the forum..

Anybody gives better example on proper blog and forums?
deanhills
Googled it, and this is the best explanation I found:

Quote:
Forums are like social mixers, where everyone is at equal level, milling about and discussing with others. These many to many communication tools allow anyone to start a topic and anyone to respond to one. Members are often at equal level, and content is usually segmented by topic. (rather than by people).

Blogs are like a keynote speech where the speaker (blogger) is in control of the discussion, but allows questions and comments from the audience.
Blogs are journals often authored by one individual, and sometimes teams. In the context of business communication, these are often used to talk with the marketplace and to join the conversation that existing external bloggers may be having.

Source

I'd say if one has a lot to say about a subject it is probably better to blog it, than to write paragraphs in a Forum thread OP. A Forum thread OP shouldn't be longer than two paragraphs, or maybe three. When it grows into more, it's probably better to blog the topic. Idea is that all members are equal in participation in the Forum thread (with exception of Mods and Admin of course), however with a blog post the blogger is supposed to be the one who is in control to the extent people can comment and question, but aren't really participants in the topic. When they do become participants, then that blog post would have been better served in a Forum thread.
Bondings
If you start with forums, make sure there are not too many forums at the start (I mean like on these forums), only add them when the first one or two forums get used. So start with a General Discussion/Chat like forum and maybe another one (depending on the topic of your site). And then only add new ones when the first ones get too many topics.

About blog or forum, what about starting with a blog and then - if needed - add forums?
Cosmoslayer
Start a forum if you want to build a community, blog is for personal or commercial use. Very Happy
RosenCruz
They are very different. Blog is kind of a diary or some kind of notebook you write on. Forums let you build a community and manage it, within a particular subject Wink
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
They are very different. Blog is kind of a diary or some kind of notebook you write on. Forums let you build a community and manage it, within a particular subject Wink
This has just become a keepsake quote for me Rosen. It's better than the quote I found. Says it exactly as it is. And in many less words. Cool
fouadCh
RosenCruz wrote:

Yes but to some extent !.. I would say that forums are about building communities (as said before)... blogs are some kind of a public platform for expressing one's opinions and/or expertise (depending on the subject) and hoping to get some kind of impact on the World or at least have some feed-backs about them .. But they are both based on that fundamental principle of sharing.. which is a good thing !...
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
This has just become a keepsake quote for me Rosen. It's better than the quote I found. Says it exactly as it is. And in many less words. Cool

Thank you, Dean Wink
grofet
You can get them both easily. We have a lot of cms (content management system) that able to run blog and forum function in one simple installation. Personally I like drupal cms since it have blog, forum and many other modules in one site. But when the site goes bigger in visitor, it will need good quality dedicated server to stay online on the internet.