FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the importance of a nice web?

cooky24
A nice web, you do not need to worry about the traffic, pr or something others.but what is the importantce of a nice web? what is the people really like? the style? content? pictures? or something others?
deanhills
The subject matter has to be of interest to me, as if not, I'd probably never reach the Website. Then once there, fast downloading of pages, clean pages with well written text, and illustrations that are attractive.
Cosmoslayer
Definitely content! Not just some copy-paste from another website or article. Surprised
andro_king
Content should be attractive and unique.
Your website should not have any copy pasted contents from other pages.
Try advertising to get traffic.
But to keep the traffic you should post good and unique contents to maintain the visitors and to become famous ! Smile
All the best !
standready
A nice web is something spiders appreciate. Good relevant content to follow and draw victims in. No broken links to detour around. laugh
twotrophy
I don't think that the word "nice" should be used. A more accurate and better word to use is "professional". A professional web design is a secret in making your website popular. Website such as Google, Yahoo and almost every popular website have professional web designs. However, other things also matter such as the quality and usefulness of the content. A website with good quality content would earn you a higher rank in search engines. If the content is useful, people would keep coming back. My advice is to have a web blog in your website that is updated regularly to encourage people to keep coming back.
deanhills
Professional is good of course, but to me a site could be more attractive to me if it is full of energy and speaks to me. Web design may not be as professional, but there is just something in it that grabs a person and the person wants to revisit again and again.

Also sometimes a Website can be too professional. Almost cold in its perfect design. A little flaw here and there is sometimes appealing too.
hw3patch
The most important characteristic to me is backwards compatibility. For example, everything should work when using a five (I prefer ten, or maybe even fifteen, but I'm willing to compromise) year-old browser with Javascript turned off and cookies disabled.

Adobe Flash, flashing, blinking, or moving advertisements are always strongly frowned upon, as are advertisements that open a new tab or window. Placing an advertisement on one's website that fits one of those criteria is analogous to unceasingly and loudly emitting every accursed, sacrilegious oath imaginable into each browser's face while he or she is trying to study, read, or browse in the library.

Content-wise, as andro_king and CosmoSlayer said, write about your own thoughts and experiences about the subject in question; don't use the useless and generic text that is ubiquitous throughout the Web.
fouadCh
cooky24 wrote:
A nice web, you do not need to worry about the traffic, pr or something others.but what is the importantce of a nice web? what is the people really like? the style? content? pictures? or something others?

It's content that makes all the difference... for the design side, the judgment is largely subjective.. but there are aspects that unmistakably reveals the expertise of the web site's developer.. the most important one is the usability of the user interface (UI), meaning that it's not cumbersome with a lot of stuff (pics, flash...) shown all at once, and its overall responsiveness (speed), users shouldn't wait too long to get what they want.
fouadCh
hw3patch wrote:
The most important characteristic to me is backwards compatibility. For example, everything should work when using a five (I prefer ten, or maybe even fifteen, but I'm willing to compromise) year-old browser with Javascript turned off and cookies disabled.
Just impossible to do anymore.. unless we are talking about a web site with raw HTML (something we used to see in the 1990s !)

The speed with which browsers have evolved in the past few years have made backward compatibility such a headache that the only option is to ask users to UPGRADE. For example, you can't support IE 8 anymore and do something really interesting with some of the new HTML5 features, that even IE 9 don't fully implement !...
hw3patch
fouadCh wrote:
hw3patch wrote:
Just impossible to do anymore.. unless we are talking about a web site with raw HTML (something we used to see in the 1990s !)

The speed with which browsers have evolved in the past few years have made backward compatibility such a headache that the only option is to ask users to UPGRADE. For example, you can't support IE 8 anymore and do something really interesting with some of the new HTML5 features, that even IE 9 don't fully implement !...

Just because browsers and HTML may have been changing quickly in the past couple years doesn't mean backward compatibility can be ditched. It didn't take one of those new features to incorporate (insert feature here) in websites five years ago, so why should it now?

There's nothing wrong with doing something really interesting with one of those newfangled capabilities that are emerging in new browsers, but a browser without the capability in question should still be able to click on links (sad, but true story), navigate the website, and view the content. It doesn't have to look good, but anyone in any third world country (or anyone in dire need of a hardware upgrade) should be able to have basic functionality without having to resort to using a library computer or getting their information from elsewhere.
zimmer
for me i go for first impression. such as images, presentation, alignment and browser compatibility. Since i have learned on how to build a website i judge them based on my knowledge. I have visited a big corporation website but i did not appreciate it once its not compatible with the browser i used.
inuyasha
Of course content is the most important, Very Happy except that it is a forum , a social network system or something like that, for which I think activity matters. And friends around me may affect more than the social network itself.
fouadCh
hw3patch wrote:
fouadCh wrote:
hw3patch wrote:

Just because browsers and HTML may have been changing quickly in the past couple years doesn't mean backward compatibility can be ditched. It didn't take one of those new features to incorporate (insert feature here) in websites five years ago, so why should it now?

There's nothing wrong with doing something really interesting with one of those newfangled capabilities that are emerging in new browsers, but a browser without the capability in question should still be able to click on links (sad, but true story), navigate the website, and view the content. It doesn't have to look good, but anyone in any third world country (or anyone in dire need of a hardware upgrade) should be able to have basic functionality without having to resort to using a library computer or getting their information from elsewhere.

I'm not sure if you're or not in the web development business.. but if you do, well, good luck with that backward compatibility thingy ...