FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Remote Desktop Connection

jarred89
Hello, Does anyone know how to set up, when im at work i would like to access my computer from home using remote desktop connection. Can someone help me please.
TheGeek
do you have XP home or Pro?
jarred89
I have XP Professional
TheGeek
ok well thats a start cuz you need that to do it.

Um, well i cant tell you much, i havent personally ever set it up. But my friend has done it and ill ask him about it tomorrow. Try using the windows help function and search for like remote desktop or something. Im sure there is something on it in there, start there and see what you come up with, you might get it just by reading that.
izcool
Remote Desktop is one of my favorite tools in Windows XP Professional. I use it about every weekend to get to my computer from my dad's house to keep my finances up-to-date in Quicken 2000. Smile I use RealVNC ( http://www.realvnc.com/ ) on my network computers but I like Remote Desktop better since it's bundled with Windows XP Professional. Here's a list that I compiled together that should help you a lot :

- You MUST have a password on your Windows XP account in order to use Remote Desktop. I have found that out from trying to use it on a different computer. This is for security purposes. If you don't want to have a password on your account when you turn it on (locally) all the time, I would recommend Microsoft's TweakUI program that you can download from their PowerToys page ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx ). There's an option in that program where you can set it to logon automatically without a password.
- You MUST have the Remote Desktop setting enabled in your System Properties screen. You can get to the option by right-clicking "My Computer", going to "Properties", clicking on the "Remote" tab, and checking the box for Remote Desktop. If it asks you for something, check the appropiate options and click OK. If it asks you to reboot, then proceed to do so.
- You MUST have your computer publically accessible from an internet address or IP address. If you have a high-speed connection with a router, you must turn on the DMZ setting to point to your computer's local IP address. When you connect to your computer from a remote area, you will have to use the public IP address of your house or use a free redirection address. I use NoIp.com's service to get an easy-to-remember address instead of using a public IP address that your ISP issues to you. I have the program downloaded on my computer that automatically updates if my public IP address ever changes, since my IP address is on a DSL line, which does change quite a bit.
- You MUST must have another computer (friend's computer, a different computer that you can connect from, etc) to have it work. Microsoft has a download on their website for the Remote Desktop Connection program on their website where you can use any 32-bit Microsoft Operating System to connect from, you can get it here ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx ).

Here's a few quick screenshots of this computer on my dad's laptop (running Windows ME Millennium Edition with the remote software installed) connecting to this computer through Remote Desktop :

Remote Desktop Window with Advanced Options Shown (Options for connecting to my computer are shown in some of the boxes) :

Remote Desktop Window asking for my Password to Logon :

After Finishing Logging On, I get to whatever I was working on when I last left my computer (The theme has been changed to reduce loading time, I use the blue theme at my house but on the settings I chose it to be the standard) :

To Logoff, you click the option in the Start menu or hit the "X" in the yellow bar along the top of the screen :

My computer when I return back to it (Theme and screen resolution changed back to my settings) :

As I had said before, you can use RealVNC ( http://www.realvnc.com/ ) very similar to Remote Desktop with any 32-bit version of Windows, but it requires less configuring and is a little easier.

One disadvantage with Remote Desktop is that you cannot control your computer locally if someone is logged in remotely. When you take control of your computer locally when someone is logged on remotely, you will disconnect them from whatever they are doing. With RealVNC, you can both control the computer at the same time without that minor flaw. With Remote Desktop, you can (surprisingly) use your local printer if you are connecting remotely (meaning that you can use the printer that you have next to you from like 20 miles away from your computer at home) and even install programs through your CD-ROM drive.

Hope I've helped a little. It may seem a bit hard, but when you follow every step that I suggested to the "t", it shouldn't be that hard to get it all working. Smile Good luck to you.

- Mike.
jarred89
WOW thanks heaps for the info i will have a go at it and see how i go
izcool
jarred89 wrote:
WOW thanks heaps for the info i will have a go at it and see how i go

You're welcome. Smile I don't think there's a lot of information that Microsoft provides you with to get it all working. There might be (I've never used the Help section of Windows XP lol) but I hope I gave you a little insight on how to do it and how to get it right.

- Mike.
jarred89
Hello do you have MSN i need help with the IP address bit if you do my MSN address is musical_bbfan@hotmail.com thanks
biga57
Hi Mike,

It seems you are quite familiar with remote desktop access. If you do not mind I'd have....

2 Quick questions:

a) I have XP Home edition. Does it have a similar set up to XP pro ?
b) I use " log me in " to access my remote computer. Do you have an idea of pros and con of using this program instead of Microsoft Remote Destop ?

Thanks !!
izcool
biga57 wrote:
Hi Mike,

It seems you are quite familiar with remote desktop access. If you do not mind I'd have....

2 Quick questions:

a) I have XP Home edition. Does it have a similar set up to XP pro ?
b) I use " log me in " to access my remote computer. Do you have an idea of pros and con of using this program instead of Microsoft Remote Destop ?

Thanks !!

Hi there,

To answer your questions :
1.) Windows XP Home Edition does not have capabilities of working with Remote Desktop where you can use a different computer to access it. The Remote Desktop feature is only incorporated into Windows XP Professiaonal (as far as I know) but isn't included with Windows XP Home Edition. The option won't exist in the 'Remote' tab of the System Properties screen. All that would be in there would be Remote Assistance, which is where you could ask someone to help you with your computer through either eMail, through the Help section of Windows XP, or through MSN/Windows Messenger.
2.) I have not used that program before, the only one that I'm familliar with is RealVNC. I've used it for many years with multiple computers that I have (screenshots of me using it on one of my PC's shown below) just to give you a feel for it.

Photos of RealVNC :

Login screen where it asks you for the address/IP address of which computer to connect to. This could be a local computer (like on this one, the network name for this one machine is "Mikeseti", it could be an IP, like 192.168.0.103, or a public address or IP). It also has a security encryption option for the registered version of RealVNC (which I do have) but isn't included with the free version which you can download for free from their website.

After hitting the OK button on the last window, it asks for the password (if you set up with one). You can set it up to require a username if you wanted to, but with this, I don't have one set up.

After finishing entering the password, it actually logs me into the machine which I wanted to get to. It's similar to Remote Desktop but lacks a few features, but can get the work that you typically need done.

(Just to let you guys know, the computer that I connected to with RealVNC "Mikeseti" is running on Windows 2000 Professional, which does not contain any built-in remote access feature. I installed RealVNC on it as a service (meaning that it's always open, even if no one is logged in) that I could log into it at any time).

I don't know if I've helped any, but I hope I've done something.

- Mike.
mark
It musnt be that hard. Keep your computer on when you go to work. Start remote desktop connection and type in your home PC's IP address.

However, it wont connect automatically. Although I don't know much about this, you home computer will display a message box with your work's IP address and whether you accept the connection. For that, you'll have to configure it somewhat. Ask it in the help and support center or just go to the microsoft website and windows XP help. There, you can ask all the questions related to Windows XP.
izcool
mark wrote:
It musnt be that hard. Keep your computer on when you go to work. Start remote desktop connection and type in your home PC's IP address.

However, it wont connect automatically. Although I don't know much about this, you home computer will display a message box with your work's IP address and whether you accept the connection. For that, you'll have to configure it somewhat. Ask it in the help and support center or just go to the microsoft website and windows XP help. There, you can ask all the questions related to Windows XP.

I believe you're refering to Remote Assistance, which asks the other user if they can take control of your computer.

- Mike.
adlamb
Ok, so how cn you connect remotely to a pc when you cant install any software or change any setting on the pc you are trying to get access from? Like for example when i want to connect to my pc at home when i am in work (using a university network) or in a cyber cafe. I assume it has to be done through IE and typing an IP address into the address bar?
izcool
With RealVNC, you can configure the program to be accessible from the browser, just as long as the computer you're connecting from has the Java viewer installed. I don't think you can do this with Remote Desktop Connection in Windows XP Professional.

- Mike.
shishir_bit
jarred89 wrote:
Hello, Does anyone know how to set up, when im at work i would like to access my computer from home using remote desktop connection. Can someone help me please.

for doing it in a easiest way, we required a XP Prof. intallend in both of the comp. then there should be a proper link. set a account in the comp from user account in the control panel . the computer which is going to be accessed, in that compter set the setting for remote connection from start->control panel->system-> then go to the remot tab there u will find setting for the remote connection. this is enough to make the sharing. now go the home comp and go to the start menu -> program files -> accessories -> communication -> remote desktop connection ..... on doing this u will get a small window, at there type the remote computer name and the passward for the account which have been created before.. and now u r able to acess to the remote computer at ur home.
mOrpheuS
To add to all the detailed information that izcool has already given,
you network must allow for incoming connection requests on TCP port 3389 for the XP's builtin remote desktop to work.
I have no idea which ports are required to be open for RealVNC or others to work.

Also if you have Windows XP professional, you don't need to install the Remote desktop client tools on the machine from where you'll access the remote desktop.
You can use the Remote desktop web access - the remote machine will be accessible from within a browser window !!!
more information on this @Tony's write up here - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx
jarred89
where abouts do you find the TCP settings?

EDIT: Dont worry found it
infoshri
You can use various remote support services such as logmeinrescue.com, gosupportnow.com etc. in order to remotely access your work computer from your home computer.
zaxacongrejo
team viewer and logmein are safer and newer
firstroad
zaxacongrejo wrote:
team viewer and logmein are safer and newer

infoshri wrote:
You can use various remote support services such as logmeinrescue.com, gosupportnow.com etc. in order to remotely access your work computer from your home computer.

they are right... just use a third party softtware... i suggest teaamviewer because i have test it and know that is great... you can do this that you want easily