FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is life?

cooky24
I am an adult now, and have fished my study. Now i am work everyday, i do not know what is life? i think this life is not what i want, it is so boring, i want change it, but do not know how...
jajarvin
My life is the time between my birth and my death.
zaxacongrejo
life is gift
deanhills
Thought to Google the subject for fun, and came up with this nice poem by John Clare.

Quote:
What is Life?
by John Clare - English Poet (1793 1864)

And what is Life? An hour-glass on the run,
A mist retreating from the morning sun,
A busy, bustling, still-repeated dream.
Its length? A minute's pause, a moment's thought.
And Happiness? A bubble on the stream,
That in the act of seizing shrinks to nought.

And what is Hope? The puffing gale of morn,
That of its charms divests the dewy lawn,
And robs each flow'ret of its gem -and dies;
A cobweb, hiding disappointment's thorn,
Which stings more keenly through the thin disguise.

And what is Death? Is still the cause unfound?
That dark mysterious name of horrid sound?
A long and lingering sleep the weary crave.
And Peace? Where can its happiness abound?
Nowhere at all, save heaven and the grave.

Then what is Life? When stripped of its disguise,
A thing to be desired it cannot be;
Since everything that meets our foolish eyes
Gives proof sufficient of its vanity.
'Tis but a trial all must undergo,
To teach unthankful mortals how to prize
That happiness vain man's denied to know,
Until he's called to claim it in the skies.
Source

Here is another poem of his. Cool! Cool

Quote:
I Am

I am: yet what I am none cares or knows,
My friends forsake me like a memory lost;
I am the self-consumer of my woes,
They rise and vanish in oblivious host,
Like shades in love and death's oblivion lost;
And yet I am! and live with shadows tost

Into the nothingness of scorn and noise,
Into the living sea of waking dreams,
Where there is neither sense of life nor joys,
But the vast shipwreck of my life's esteems;
And e'en the dearest--that I loved the best--
Are strange--nay, rather stranger than the rest.

I long for scenes where man has never trod;
A place where woman never smil'd or wept;
There to abide with my creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept:
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie;
The grass below--above the vaulted sky.
Source
ratanegra
Life is:

Collins Concise English Dictionary HarperCollins Publishers wrote:
1. the state or quality that distinguishes living beings or organisms from dead ones and from inorganic matter, characterized chiefly by metabolism, growth, and the ability to reproduce and respond to stimuli

2. the period between birth and death

Life can only be defined for what can be perceived. Saying that it is a gift (from whom?) or a challenge (why?), I find fallacious.

But you can change, nonetheless, if you want to. You just have to be able to leave the comfort of unchangingness and to walk into the unknown willingly. Habits are hard to unlearn, but your willingness will have the last word on that. And since all in life lacks a general purpose, you can well create your own purposes and go in a quest for happiness.
inoshi
cooky24 wrote:
I am an adult now, and have fished my study. Now i am work everyday, i do not know what is life? i think this life is not what i want, it is so boring, i want change it, but do not know how...

I would be glad to tweet a bit on this, as it's a controversial topic at Frihost, and has been moved around a bit with no apparent valid logic or basis:

Arrow http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-133292.html

Arrow http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-141829.html

What do you think after taking a look?

Cheers,

Inoshi
grofet
life is doing a lot of things that god like and avoid a lot of things that god dont like.
god will reward you heaven if you are good and will throw you to hell if you makes god angry.
that what life is for me
inoshi
grofet wrote:
life is doing a lot of things that god like and avoid a lot of things that god dont like.
god will reward you heaven if you are good and will throw you to hell if you makes god angry.
that what life is for me

Yo @grofet, are being facetious or is this for real for you? I can not tell, as for me to believe like that is detrimental to life itself, and one's individual being.

Best,

Inoshi
playfungames
The recent events in my life, has also confused me on what life is. Finished college and I have not got a job yet, so I am not sure what to do in life. Confusion is every where. I also think that we are so small on a universal scale and our life means nothing to the universe. But for some people or even just ourselves our life means a lot. I also think about death and how we have to leave everything behind. So confusion is everywhere and I think that life is just confusion.

We are always confused what we are doing here, we are always confused on what do to in our life and we never understand it. So life is confusion.
deanhills
That's a good one Erdelyi. Probably should pin it up on a wall somewhere. Very Happy
ocalhoun
cooky24 wrote:

Life is what you do when you're not studying and working.
(All work and no play makes jack a dull boy, after all.)

Go get a special somebody, go get a hobby, go on a vacation, go on an adventure... then maybe you'll find out what life is.

Good luck.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
cooky24 wrote:

Life is what you do when you're not studying and working.
(All work and no play makes jack a dull boy, after all.)

Go get a special somebody, go get a hobby, go on a vacation, go on an adventure... then maybe you'll find out what life is.

Good luck.
I don't agree. Work can be great fun. I enjoy my outside hobbies, and I enjoy my job. Not all of the time, as work is exactly as life, some of it good and some of it not so good. Everything in balance.

I'd also say it is easier to look for a job, a hobby, a vacation or an adventure than a special somebody. As usually for me any way, the special somebody pops up when one is busy with enjoying life. And the special somebody involves a relationship that is much of the same as all of the other things that constitute "life". Some of it good, and some of it not so good. When it comes to the "not so good" parts of relationships, that is when we get to learn how deep our relationships are, it either bonds us closer or lead to separation, either temporary or permanently. That is part of life as well.
twotrophy
I can remember that life is defined scientifically as:
1. Requires food, water and air.
2. Will grow.
3. Will die.
4. Able to respond to changes.
5. Able to move without an external force.

There may be missing points on this list.
SonLight
The topic, "What is life?", could be a matter of scientific discussion, deep philosophical discussion, or a "How can I restore my enthusiasm for living?" discussion. From the viewpoint of the OP, the science is irrelevant. The philosophy makes sense, but is probably not immediately useful. "Get a hobby", "Learn more about your job", etc. could be helpful, as could any suggestions about dealing with discouragement; even ideas about deep breathing or physical exercises might help. Anticipating and/or taking steps toward an improved lifestyle in the future is one of the best things to focus on.

One of the biggest problems about dealing with discouragement is that it's hard to get excited about any new idea while you're down. I hope we've conspired to throw a couple of helpful tips in with our varied answers, cooky24.
Stay_Classy
What is life? Cooky, don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more...

Sorry, had to do that. It seems like life is a group of cells that create or consume energy and move about of their own power and or volition.

Wonderful. I sound like a geeky biologist...