FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


When is your country's independence day?





jajarvin
When is your country's independence day? I am from Finland and in my country it is 6th of December.
deanhills
Canada usually has national celebrations (called Canada Day) on 1st July with plenty of fire works going on. Not dissimilar to the US's celebrations of 4th July. However Canada Day is not an "Independence Day" as Canada has always remained part of the commonwealth of Great Britain. 1st of July is an annual anniversary of its Confederation of 1 July 1867.
watersoul
There is no 'independance' or national day for the UK either.
Many people celebrate the national patron saints days for England, Scotland, Wales & N.Ireland though:
England, St Georges day - 23rd April
Scotland, St Andrews day - 30th November
Wales, St Davids day - 1st March
N.Ireland, St Patricks day - 17th March
Peterssidan
Sweden has always been independent so we don't have an independence day. We do have a national day that no one seems to understand why we celebrate. It has something to do with something that happened almost 500 years ago.
kaysch
Peterssidan wrote:
Sweden has always been independent so we don't have an independence day. We do have a national day that no one seems to understand why we celebrate. It has something to do with something that happened almost 500 years ago.

Similar in Germany. Actually we do not celebrate independence but dependence of East Germany to West Germany each 3 Oct. Twisted Evil
Vanilla
Here in Brazil it's September 7th (it's even easy to remember!). We learn in school that this day our honorable Emperor screamed "Independence of death!" near the margins of the Ipiranga river (seriously, we even got that line in our national hymn) thus freeing us from Portugal. Of course it didn't happen like that and our Emperor had just stopped near the river because he got a major case of diarrhea.

That's why we are the only Portuguese speaking country in Latin America, because Brazil used to be Portugal's colony. And NO, Buenos Aires is not our capital. Our national capital is called Brasília. Just saying. Wink

@Peterssidan
I got curious about Sweden's National day and went to search about the 500 years thing. Amazing. You guys consider that modern Sweden was born in 1523 while my country was still a place filled with pirates and criminals deported from Portugal. We still have a long way to go. Very Happy
zaxacongrejo
1 of December but this year was the last time we celebrated no more independence celebration in Portugal so politicians can keep money to spend in their useless stuff
k_s_baskar
In India we celebrate Independence day on August 15th
mqmpakistani
I am from Pakistan and it was 14th of August
And for India, it is 15th of August.

Actually both of them got independence on the same day from England, but since both of them have rivalry, therefore one celebrates it one day earlier, or one can blame the other that he celebrates one day later.
jajarvin
Quote:
I am from Pakistan and it was 14th of August
And for India, it is 15th of August.

Actually both of them got independence on the same day from England, but since both of them have rivalry, therefore one celebrates it one day earlier, or one can blame the other that he celebrates one day later.


It is probably the most important thing, however, that both of the state are independent.
Gregoric
Here, in Poland, "Święto Niepodległości" is on November 11th (11.11).

We are celebrating freedom given to us after 123 years of occupation by Russia, Germany (Prussia) and Austria in 1918. 21 years later Poland was again attacked by the III Reich (Austria, Germany) and Soviet Union (Russia).
kaysch
By the way, the full list is readily available on Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_by_date_of_formation

For your reference, the German version of the Wikipedia entry is somehow more concise.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Unabh%C3%A4ngigkeitsdaten_von_Staaten
Josso
watersoul wrote:
There is no 'independance' or national day for the UK either.


Maybe we should celebrate the roman's leaving lol, except it would make no sense as they basically built the infrastructure.

@Peterssidan
I hear that, sounds familiar. I don't think we have any days that make any sense.
codegeek
Although a small country, Nepal has never been ruled by any other nation in its entire history. Nepalese have always been brave soldiers and our ancestors defended their motherland against the East India Company (the British). They became famous as "Gurkha" soldiers and got jobs in the British and Indian armies. There is a saying, "If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha."

That being said, we did not really come out of the war unscathed either. We had to give up a considerable amount of land to the East India Company in the Sugauli treaty, leading to the formation Nepal as we know it today. However, that does not count as being ruled by another nation. Hence, no independence day here. We do have democracy day, republic day etc. though. Plus, the political landscape is still unstable.
kaysch
Josso wrote:
watersoul wrote:
There is no 'independance' or national day for the UK either.


Maybe we should celebrate the roman's leaving lol, except it would make no sense as they basically built the infrastructure.

@Peterssidan
I hear that, sounds familiar. I don't think we have any days that make any sense.


Here's an excerpt from "The Life of Brian", fully supporting your point.

Quote:
REG: And what have [the Romans] ever given us in return?!

XERXES: The aqueduct?

REG: What?

XERXES: The aqueduct.

REG: Oh. Yeah, yeah. They did give us that. Uh, that's true. Yeah.

COMMANDO #3: And the sanitation.

LORETTA: Oh, yeah, the sanitation, Reg. Remember what the city used to be like?

REG: Yeah. All right. I'll grant you the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done.

MATTHIAS: And the roads.

REG: Well, yeah. Obviously the roads. I mean, the roads go without saying, don't they? But apart from the sanitation, the aqueduct, and the roads--

COMMANDO: Irrigation.

XERXES: Medicine.

COMMANDOS: Huh? Heh? Huh...

COMMANDO #2: Education.

COMMANDOS: Ohh...

REG: Yeah, yeah. All right. Fair enough.

COMMANDO #1: And the wine.

COMMANDOS: Oh, yes. Yeah...

FRANCIS: Yeah. Yeah, that's something we'd really miss, Reg, if the Romans left. Huh.

COMMANDO: Public baths.

LORETTA: And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now, Reg.

FRANCIS: Yeah, they certainly know how to keep order. Let's face it. They're the only ones who could in a place like this.

COMMANDOS: Hehh, heh. Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh.

REG: All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

XERXES: Brought peace.

REG: Oh. Peace? Shut up!
Josso
Haha, made my day kaysch
LxGoodies
In the Netherlands: no independence day exists. Back in the 1500's we fought 80 years of war against the Spaniards who occupied us, we finally got out of the Burgundian empire in 1648, but as far as I know there has never been introduced an American-style "Independence day" !

On the 5th of May, we traditionally celebrate our freedom. End of the 2nd world war, thanks to England, United States, Ireland, Canada, France, Poland, Morocco who got us out of the nazi-shit...

Lx
icon-lille
en France c'est le 14 juillet mais ca tout le monde le sait ^^

Moderator Google translation wrote:
in France it is 14 July but it everybody knows ^ ^

-Ankhanu
donfilipo
jajarvin wrote:
When is your country's independence day? I am from Finland and in my country it is 6th of December.


In Slovenia (EU) it is on 25. June.

On that that Slovenia declared independence from former Yugoslavia and the disintegration of the Socialistic federal republic of Yugoslavia although foretold actually started.

Small country is today a member of EU.
Related topics
anyone accualy listen to metal anymore?
Armageddon
Independence day for Nigeria -- and a milestone for Africa
Cinco de Mayo
North Korean Missile Launched
Visit in Kuala Lumpur
Independence Day ( July 4th 2007)
Quote about India
Americans, are you thankful?
Happy Independence day
Midnight's Children
Rainbow Dash card!
The 4th July a celebration of genocide and slavery?
Happy Independence Day
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.