FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Hobbit

johans
anybody saw the movie hobbit? i have seen it last week and it was very nice story it has part 2.. waiting for it to release.. amazing movie i guess the plan to insert the story but it was really good insertion.
wallarookiller
I haven't seen the new one yet. I'm planning on going after X-mas. I love those types of films but the women doesn't soooo....
darthrevan
I haven't seen it yet, and forgot it has came out. Maybe I will see it sometimes soon. I may end up forgetting until it comes out on DVD.
_AVG_
Just saw it recently. It's an excellent movie, a treat for LOTR fans. I especially like Martin Freeman's portrayal of Bilbo and the Misty Mountains song. Can't wait for part 2 The Desolation of Smaug.
Vanilla
wallarookiller wrote:
I haven't seen the new one yet. I'm planning on going after X-mas. I love those types of films but the women doesn't soooo....

I'm a girl and I was planning on watching it with my other girl friends (I have lots of girl friends who belong to the LotR fandom). So all I have to say to you about finding girls who like LotR is...

No, look harder!

_AVG_ wrote:
Just saw it recently. It's an excellent movie, a treat for LOTR fans. I especially like Martin Freeman's portrayal of Bilbo and the Misty Mountains song. Can't wait for part 2 The Desolation of Smaug.

Yes, just yes. As a LotR fan, it felt like coming back to home. The song made me all teary and I cried in the end. Can't wait for the second movie! Well, now it's the time to finish the book...
Blummer
Oh the song is very emotional. On the special CD of the soundtrack there's an extended version of it, which is even more fascinating with it's final sequence

catscratches
I thought it was very videogamey, silly and clichéd, even moreso than the previous films where I could kind of tolerate it.
_AVG_
Blummer wrote:
Oh the song is very emotional. On the special CD of the soundtrack there's an extended version of it, which is even more fascinating with it's final sequence

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing this. I didn't realize how good a soundtrack the entire LOTR series has along with The Hobbit.
Blummer
To add to it, there are slight differences between deluxe CD and film versions. There's a beautiful theme of Bilbo leaving his home (An adventure begins), which is more extended on album. And other bits as well.
Vanilla
The song is beautiful but I prefer Richard Armitage (the actor who plays Thorin Oakenshield) singing it!

teltacwor
i have not got a chance to watch the movies but i watched that movie. This is very nice movie and very encouraging story and its visuals are very brilliant.
Radar
They did what they were aiming to do very well, in that it's both a prequel and a sequel to Lord of the Rings.

I was hoping for just plain Hobbit, but clearly, that wasn't going to happen.
Blummer
Yes, what works in the book, doesn't always work on the screen, we have to live with that. They have added pretty much of other additional materials and it's fine, though it contradicts author's view. The orc Azog is not alive according to original timeline.
limpands
I havent seen it yet. But the lord of the rings was so damn good, so i hope the Hobbit series will also be that good.
The trailer is really good so i do think the movie is too. Everyone says it's good also, soooo.. Well i don' t know.
Insanity
I saw the Hobbit a while ago and I've read the book. My opinion is that the movie is too long. They added so many scenes to the movie that it feels like it needs to be a lot shorter. The book isn't really that long -- I think it is shorter than one of the LotR books, yet they plan on getting three movies out of it. I think they are stretching the plot too much, and as a result it feels forced.
codersfriend
I haven't watched it yet. I'm hoping it would also show up in video rentals
LostOverThere
catscratches wrote:
I thought it was very videogamey, silly and clichéd, even moreso than the previous films where I could kind of tolerate it.

Videogamey? What do you mean by that?

Quote:
I haven't watched it yet. I'm hoping it would also show up in video rentals

Give it 5 months.
Gregoric
Gotta see it. Here, in Poland, the movie was introduced to cinemas likely a month ago, it was a bit later than in the rest of the world Smile. Nevertheless, I haven't found occasion to watch it as I am at my university most of the day...

Well, I haven't watched any trailers or read box reviews so far (I am changing programme when Hobbit is advertised on TV Smile) to not make me any spoilers.
catscratches
LostOverThere wrote:
catscratches wrote:

Videogamey? What do you mean by that?
Over-the-top action in ways very similar to blockbuster videogames, the way it was paced, etc. The deus ex machinas, which, although a common trope in movies as well, appear to an even larger degree in video games.

Then there's the 48 fps 3D thing which makes it look like a videogame as well but that's just superficial. (Since I use a lot of parallax scrolling when making stuff, it became rather easy to pick out which thing was on which layer, etc. There was one particular background painting in the beginning which was especially hideous.)
hamzamana
Saw it recently! very good movie. I loved the soundtrack and the story is pretty well laid out. Not exactly according to the book but it works, since they have to make three movies out of a tiny book.
dude_xyx
It's good but I don't think it's good as those load of the ring movies.
teno
Blummer wrote:
Yes, what works in the book, doesn't always work on the screen, we have to live with that. They have added pretty much of other additional materials and it's fine, though it contradicts author's view. The orc Azog is not alive according to original timeline.

Saw the movie yesterday and I was dissappointed.

It is miles away from being as catchy as the LOTR trilogy. Characters and story are not worked out enough. The book is very thin - it's a kid's book you can finish within 2 hours. So tons of stuff where added to fill it up. Though it's okay to deviate from orginal books, here in this movie Jackson couldn't find a path to either do justice to Tolkien or to CGI saturated audience with LOTR expectations.

Insanity wrote:
I saw the Hobbit a while ago and I've read the book. My opinion is that the movie is too long. They added so many scenes to the movie that it feels like it needs to be a lot shorter. The book isn't really that long -- I think it is shorter than one of the LotR books, yet they plan on getting three movies out of it. I think they are stretching the plot too much, and as a result it feels forced.

You're telling me they do three movies with The Hobbit?? That is ..... wow. Jackson need to come up with a lot of stuff on his own.
Radar
Blummer wrote:
Yes, what works in the book, doesn't always work on the screen, we have to live with that.

I think the problem isn't that you're attempting to make a Hollywood blockbuster out of a book that isn't entirely. I think the problem is that you're trying to transition viewers from the Lord of the Rings to the Hobbit without lessening the amount of action. Which is weird.

Yes, I do think that you could argue greatest detriment to the Hobbit as a film is the Lord of the Rings as a film. You could also argue that it's the greatest strength, but I think the Hobbit is simple story about a simple character learning that he is more than what he thinks he is, and that when tested, he can prove himself. I don't think it's about a character suddenly stepping into an epic adventure. I think the first half is a character finding out that he is ready for an adventure - not that he is already on one.

My opinion, I'm sure Peter Jackson disagrees.
Blummer
Extending it to 3 films was the demand from the company, not PJ himself. First intention was to make it into two films and the first film could've ended on a very beautiful moment - with barrels in the river.
manverupl
Hobbit is a great film, I'm great fan of Middle-Earth and everything in there is fantastic to me. But Hobbit is the best film I've ever seen. I'm waiting for last two parts. If I must tell what is the best in Hobbit I'll say that music, Howard Shore knew what is good.
hamarat007
Perfect film.
Blummer
If anyone fancies grabbing a DVD/Blu-ray, they're coming out on 19th in US. Not much of extra materials, mainly Peter Jackson's insight on film producing (basically, those video blogs we all already know). I hope to see the extended edition by the end of the year. There are clear indications that it will definitely come out and include some scenes that have already been discussed - such as Gandalf visiting Hobbiton when Bilbo was a kid.
darthrevan
Has anyone watched the latest Hobbit movie yet? I personally like the second one better than the first. Though the wife likes the first one better for some reason.

I think one of my favorite characters is Legolias(sure it is spelled wrong, but you get the idea. I wonder if there will be any other LOTOR characters in the future movies?
Vanilla
darthrevan wrote:
Has anyone watched the latest Hobbit movie yet? I personally like the second one better than the first. Though the wife likes the first one better for some reason.

I think one of my favorite characters is Legolias(sure it is spelled wrong, but you get the idea. I wonder if there will be any other LOTOR characters in the future movies?

I've seen the second one only recently and I loved it! Cannot tell for sure each movie I've liked best, I believe I still lean toward the first one because I've seen it in a movie theater with 3D, awesome sound and the whole shebang. I really loved Tauriel and Thranduil in this movie. As for Legolas, he surely is as cocky as ever. It's good to see him as a younger, prouder version of his LotR self. And Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug! I cannot say enough wonderful things about him! Awesome movie, beautiful effects and a cast practically bred for their parts. Very Happy
Blummer

For some fun.