FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iTunes on Win98

The Profile
is it possible?
gh0stface
You could've just went to itunes.com to find out the requirements... anyways, according to their website, these are the requirements to run iTunes.
Quote:
Windows Requirements

* Windows XP or 2000 (latest service packs recommended)
* 500 MHz Pentium class processor or better
* QuickTime 7.0.3 (included)
* 256MB RAM
* Supported CD-R or DVD-R drive to burn CDs
* Broadband Internet connection (DSL/Cable/LAN) for buying and streaming music

Additional Video Requirements

* 1.5 GHz Pentium class processor or better
* 32MB video RAM

After googling and checking out various sites, it seems like you won't be able to run iTunes on either Windows 98 or Windows ME.
decayed.cell
It's not possible to run iTunes on Windows 98 or Me because it is written in 32-bit code for Windows NT kernel (which covers Windows 2000 and Windows XP)
farrengottu
decayed.cell wrote:
It's not possible to run iTunes on Windows 98 or Me because it is written in 32-bit code for Windows NT kernel (which covers Windows 2000 and Windows XP)

its not because of a 32 bit kernel. especially because windows 98 has a 32 bit kernel. windows has been fully 32 bit since win 95 osr2. the reason it wont work is because windows 95 and 98 use fat32 partitions and 2000, and xp use ntfs.

i dont know why anyone would be using 98 though its old, its ghetto, it has almost no support for any of the new hardware. just get xp its like $135 for xp pro. its worth it.
SoftStag
farrengottu wrote:
its not because of a 32 bit kernel. especially because windows 98 has a 32 bit kernel. windows has been fully 32 bit since win 95 osr2. the reason it wont work is because windows 95 and 98 use fat32 partitions and 2000, and xp use ntfs.

XP is very happy with FAT32 partitions. So this is not the case
zima
farrengottu wrote:
i dont know why anyone would be using 98 though its old, its ghetto, it has almost no support for any of the new hardware. just get xp its like $135 for xp pro. its worth it.

WinXP is very hardware-consuming, you can't run it on an old machine, while you can run Win98... that's why people are still using it...

The iTunes problem I think is related to the libraries which the program is using. They are probably not implemented on Win98, so that's why you need XP to run it... I would suggest winamp (the version 2 is still implemented) as media playes on Win98...
bananaphone
Try emulation software