FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Upgrading ... help me

blu3bird
i planning to upgrade my desktop ... but i dun realli noe which hardwares are compatible. advice please

P4 2.26
Gigabyte 845g motherboard (i know, its quite old ...)
gf3 titanium
512 rd-ram
sb live 16
win66
blu3bird wrote:
i planning to upgrade my desktop ... but i dun realli noe which hardwares are compatible. advice please

P4 2.26
gf3 titanium
512 rd-ram
sb live 16

I think your computer is still okay... You want upgrade for destop for play games ? If you Just want play games, i recommad upgrade the Display card.
Donutey
the best choice would be to upgrade the graphics card...

if you want a new processor... you'll esentially have to buy a new motherboard and ram...
blu3bird
any recommendations on the graphic cards ? this motherboard doest support some newer graphic cards .. which i have no idea how to judge its compatibility. i was planning to upgrade the ram as well, to 1gb. do you think its worth it, or i shld just change everything ??
gh0stface
I'm going to assume that your motherboard has an AGP graphic card slot. In order to tell you what the best video card to get, we need to know what your spending budget will be.
dcshoes23
since your video card isn't that good, and u want to upgrade, i'd suggest u get a new processor, motherboard, and video card, so that you can switch over to PCI-E and ur motherboard will be compatible with all the new video cards. I wanted to upgrade my celeron 2 GHz to an Athlon 64 but the problem was i have a pretty good video card wich is AGP so i bought a really cheap Athlon 64 motherboard that had AGP so i can just buy a new motherboard later for PCI-E and i wouldn't loose as much money. u don't have to do it this way, but i thought i let u know. i just don't recommend buying a new AGP card when they're all gonna be PCI-E soon, and u'd force urself to buy a AGP mother board when u upgrade.
blu3bird
icic, so AGP is out, PCI-E is the next big thing huh. ok, thanks for tat advice.
Naif
Yup... PCIE is the next big thing for sure... Whats the model number of your motherboard? You just mentioned the name of the chipset, i.e. 845g. If your motherboard has an AGP slot, then its advisable for you to just go in for a mid range AGP graphics card instead of doing a full upgrade of your system. But if you are willing to replace your processor and mobo then I advise you to go for an AMD Athlon instead of a Pentium processor. Here is my recommendation for you (mind you though, you didnt specify what your budget is).

Processor: AMD 64 3200+ Socket 939(or better if you can afford)
Approx. price: 170 USD
Motherboard: Asus A8N-E SLI (again, if you can afford)
Approx. price: 230 USD
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
Approx. price: 240 USD

The A8N board supports DDR400 memory modules. I doubt if whether your memory modules are DDR400. If they arent, replace them with two 512 MB DDR400 modules or else they'll become a bottle neck towards the performance of your processor.

PS: The prices are purely approximate. If you cant afford the mobo and the graphics card, go for a MSI RS480M2-IL motherboard instead. It will cost you somewhere around 125 USD. The motherboard has an onboard ATI radeon Xpress 200 graphics card which performs quite well. Later when you can, buy the GeForce 6600 GT card.

Hope this helps...
Donutey
yea, you might want to wait till '06, then you can get a new socket M2 (amd) or 975X chipset (intel) right now the current generation of AMD (socket 939) is in its waining days and Intel will essentially move to a new socket with 975X (supports a whole new range of processors)

so, in the long run, it might be a good idea to grin and bear it for right now... till the next gen comes (cause the current intel dual core is a stopgap, and amd M2 is coming VERY soon)
careyd
PCI-E is great but its still expensive. You can still get really kick ass graphic cards in either agp or pci, but preferable agp.

If you got the money to shell out go PCI-E all the way, but know that it's not the only way.

Heres what is typically true of graphics cards in ATI vs NVidia, oh jez I can see this starting a debate Very Happy . ATI cards are typically better then NVidia cards, hardware wise, but nVidia has better drivers initially,..ok I bet that was confusing. I'll explain it like this.

If ATI and NVidia come out with a comparable card at the same time, the NVidia card will appear and for all intensive purposes will work better, initially... ATI as time goes by, from the initial release, will update their drivers for that card, and since the hardware is better and the driver interacts with the card better, the ATI will beat out the NVidia. so if you can wait a little while it'll work better then the NVidia card. I don't know why this is the case, it just tends to be a law of nature. This isn't from my own knogin', my friend works in the graphic's industry and has told me this is generally the case.

-Dave
Donutey
^^^
yea, that does seem to happen... nvidia is usually faster to market, ati lags behind in that respect, but their cards usually improve over time (performance wise) because of drivers... well said.
ParK
ur pc is so well and what would u like to do by upgradin game or what and budget ???
gamo
blu3bird wrote:

P4 2.26
gf3 titanium
512 rd-ram
sb live 16

Your hardware list is very good. I think they work well together and no problem
FiZiX
Looks like your motherboard support AGP 4X, 1.5V. If you're sticking with that motherboard and want to update your videocard, I suggest an nVidia Geforce 6800 GT or Ultra. They are good cards and can be gotten pretty cheap now-a-days. Also, upgrade to 1GB of RAM.
shishir_bit
blu3bird wrote:

P4 2.26
gf3 titanium
512 rd-ram
sb live 16

before u get update ur pc 1st make sure ur uses. although everyone wants a better configuration, i also think the same . it seems u comp is little old compare to the latest technology. according to my knowledge todays intel chipset 912,915 and 925 based motherboard is the latest . so if u looking for new . go for intels 915 or 925 motherboard with 3.0 GHz or higher processor , a graphic card (there are various range in this category choose which best fits u and u have make a traedoff between price and the graphic card ) and a ram of 1GB, and the harddisk i think u know better how much u want. this really makes ur comp fast efficient and most competitive.

also now a dual core processor is coming up which definitly be the good choice but also price will be high. i think this is not yet launched.
Quote:
Arnie
What do you use your computer for? Include the names of some programs.
Hikaru
I recommend that you wait for a while longer, because AMD is going to mass produce Socket 940 CPUs soon and the current Socket 939s will phase out. The GeForce 6600 GT is also a heat monster, and doesn't really outperform the old (and I mean old) Radeon 9800 Pro in many real games. Socket 939 3200+ is also pretty weak right now. Also, DDR3 memory is also coming.

If you really can't wait to upgrade, I recommend:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 S939 with SAN DIEGO Core. Don't go for Venice cores anymore. (there are avaliable AMD S940 CPUs, better ones are coming soon)
Motherboard: nVIDIA nForce4 Chipset based, SLI. (Don't think CrossFire is avaliable for AMD platforms yet, I know for sure that CrossFire right now is avaliable for Intel platforms though.)
Memory: 1 GB is sufficient.
Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT. Best bang for the buck, because of possible SLI expansion.