FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm plannin to buy a desktop-replacement laptop... help

koolbluez
I need to buy a laptop as replacement for my desktop

Can you suggest me a laptop which closes around to this configuration:

Intel Pentium M Processor 740 atleast 1.73 GHz
1GB (atleast 512mb) DDR2
17" (atleast 15") Wide Screen display
60GB Hard Drive
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Internal Wireless
a good graphics card (should be able to play the latest games without any problem)
TV Tuner w/ Remote Control
maximum power backup...
It should be a workhorse, be it video encoding/audio rippin/photoshoppin/playing games/dvd movies with great sound effects/runnin 3d mechanical packages/imagin software
As light as possible

ALL THIS AT THE LEAST POSSIBLE RATE... I WANT A BALANCE IN QUALITY & COST... less than a lakh...

I did come close to 2-3 contenders... like the ACER Ferrari, Dell Assembled Inspiron 9300, Sony Vaio... but i need the best in them.. or anything better, if you got a choice...

If you provide me options, please gimme the reason for supporting it compared to the others... this is urgent...

Also should I go for a company one or assembled; if assembled, are there any in bangalore?
leodv
If you are looking for a replacement that is as powerful as the current newest technology, I would recommend Alien's laptops, but they are sure expensive though. I would recommend IBM's laptops if you intend to bring around much and not for playing games, i suppose T43 is quite a monster for doing office and media playing stuffs.
cokdes
I think Toshiba or Acer variants can support your needs and specifications
koolbluez
Got the specs of Toshiba satellite P35-S605

How is this piece... can i get it for the same price (75k) @ India? Where can i get it?
RA
Whatever you do, get a computer with a mobile processor in it. A space heater like a Pentium 4 or Athlon just doesn't work well in the notebook environment. Also, the fan needed to cool one of those in a notebook collects dust like nobody's business. I recommend a high end Pentium M or AMD Turion if you are looking to do CPU intensive tasks like games or video.

Getting 512 MB of RAM is always a good idea. I recommend 1 GB for gaming.

P.S. I bought a Dell Inspiron 9200 last year with a 17inch wide screen display, 1.8Ghz Pentium M, 1 GB RAM, and a GeForce Go 6800 for $1300 USD. I am very happy with my purchase.
koolbluez
Any more laptops i can look into...

I need quality performance (esp. gamin, video/audio encodin, Mechanical Packages & most definitely multi-tasking...)
All this at the least price (between 50,000-1lakh)

Come on.. didn't anyone buy a real good laptop recently, which has all goodies & superb performance @ a great price...
g2devteam
i recently bought a Gateway 7510GX and it is loaded...

AMD Mobile Athlon 64 3700+ running at 2.4 GHz
1 GB DDR RAM
100 GB HDD 4900 RPM
ATI x600 Mobile Radeon
Integrated wireless
4 usb 2.0 ports
S-video jack
Windows XP Home
6-in-1 card reader
8x Dual-Layer DVD Burner....can burn an 8.5 GB Dual Layer DVD

killer machine and it runs great! Very Happy
steveadams617
Just to be devil's advocate, you didn't say why you wanted a laptop. You are going to pay more for the same features and not be able to upgrade as easily. Have you considered all the possibilties of putting the CPU on the floor out of the way someplace and getting a flat panel monitor? If you use your computer alot, a screen further from the keyboard more at eye level with be better for your body. I am writing this on a laptop hooked to a monitor. I used to travel with it. Now it just sits here and might as well be a box....

Laptops are also more expensive to fix....
koolbluez
Gateway 7510GX's harddisk & RAM are both slow... I need to work on heavier applications like Ulead Video Studio, Mechanical packages, extreme gaming... It'll boot & load slow then...

The package is good, though...

And steve, I wanted portability maan... come on.. the prime purpose of a laptop... a computer in my hands!!!

I want a computer which I can take wherever I go; I've my parents in a different city & work in a different city.. so every weekend I need to take my computer to my home/parents... and I can't compromise on performance, looks & quality Wink
bananaphone
DELL sould be fine - or ACER!

My solution.............................

Get a Mac!
justinrs32
leodv wrote:
If you are looking for a replacement that is as powerful as the current newest technology, I would recommend Alien's laptops, but they are sure expensive though. I would recommend IBM's laptops if you intend to bring around much and not for playing games, i suppose T43 is quite a monster for doing office and media playing stuffs.

I agree Alienware is one of the best. They might be overpriced, but the extra money goes towards a killer look. Aleinware laptops, even the cheapest one, fit all of your needs. They are basically made for gaming, but are good for anything you need them for.
koolbluez
Let's add another thing to this mess:

I'M IN INDIA...
Macs & Alienware might not survive here... no repair centres...
Also I'm talkin of Laptops...