FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Joomla! 3.0 support

ibraltan1
I have a website and want to transfer it to frihost.

Does frihost support Joomla! 3.0 completely? (Including latest php version condition).

Is there a working Joomla 3.0 website using frihost?

In order not to have to transfer my site to another server, I want to know this.

Best regards.
johans
ibraltan1 wrote:
I have a website and want to transfer it to frihost.

Does frihost support Joomla! 3.0 completely? (Including latest php version condition).

Is there a working Joomla 3.0 website using frihost?

In order not to have to transfer my site to another server, I want to know this.

Best regards.

YES, Joomla 3.0 will be compatible here at frihost.
ibraltan1
johans, thank you for your quick replay.

I am glad to learn that frihost supports Joomla! 3.0.

Because many hosting firms do not provide such structure as any kind of update may bring problems that they do not want to have.

johans, could you tell me about the speed of the server, as you know it is a very important aspect in terms of pagerank level.

Or, is there a page of frihost that contains every details of this kind of server information.

Best regards.
Qantas94Heavy
ibraltan1 wrote:
johans, thank you for your quick replay.

I am glad to learn that frihost supports Joomla! 3.0.

Because many hosting firms do not provide such structure as any kind of update may bring problems that they do not want to have.

johans, could you tell me about the speed of the server, as you know it is a very important aspect in terms of pagerank level.

Or, is there a page of frihost that contains every details of this kind of server information.

Best regards.

If you believe that speed is paramount to your website's ranking I would highly recommend that you invest in a good paid host instead of a free host. However, I find that Frihost's servers are of an acceptable speed in general, although I cannot comment specifically in regards to Joomla 3.0.
ibraltan1
Thank you Qantas94Heavy.

As you said the best choice can be a good paid host. Eventually I plan to achieve at that level. But, as far as I know, even if you get a paid account, there could be large differences in terms of speed. There is no source of reliable information about hosting firms. Each one has its own advantages and deficiencies with respect to software, hardware, customer support, etc. I need time to do the research.
Website transfer could result in serious problems, so it is better to make right decision.

In the mean time, I need a free hosting service which has the highest possible level of qualifications.

I think, you verify, in a way, what I learnt about Frihost. That is, Frihost is above average. Smile
Qantas94Heavy
ibraltan1 wrote:
Thank you Qantas94Heavy.

As you said the best choice can be a good paid host. Eventually I plan to achieve at that level. But, as far as I know, even if you get a paid account, there could be large differences in terms of speed. There is no source of reliable information about hosting firms. Each one has its own advantages and deficiencies with respect to software, hardware, customer support, etc. I need time to do the research.
Website transfer could result in serious problems, so it is better to make right decision.

In the mean time, I need a free hosting service which has the highest possible level of qualifications.

I think, you verify, in a way, what I learnt about Frihost. That is, Frihost is above average. Smile

Yes, indeed compared to many other free hosts around Frihost is by far the best I have used. What type of website are you planning to host? All of the versions are higher than what is required by Joomla 3.0 however by default Magic Quotes GPC is on, which prevents you from installing Joomla 3.0. I would suggest taking a look at some of the threads regarding this issue in the Web Hosting Support subforum.
k_s_baskar
Frihost host supports with joomla 3 if you found any compatibility issues. just check feature availability in frihost by just visting http://www.frihost.com/phpinfo.php for versions of installed server side scripts like PHP / Apache etc., Hope this will be helpful to you.
Smile
ibraltan1
Qantas94Heavy wrote:

Yes, indeed compared to many other free hosts around Frihost is by far the best I have used. What type of website are you planning to host? All of the versions are higher than what is required by Joomla 3.0 however by default Magic Quotes GPC is on, which prevents you from installing Joomla 3.0. I would suggest taking a look at some of the threads regarding this issue in the Web Hosting Support subforum.

Thank you Qantas94Heavy.

As far as I know the problem related with Magic Quotes can be solved through .htaccess file. Adding "php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off" to the .htaccess file will overcome this. Smile
ibraltan1
k_s_baskar wrote:
Frihost host supports with joomla 3 if you found any compatibility issues. just check feature availability in frihost by just visting http://www.frihost.com/phpinfo.php for versions of installed server side scripts like PHP / Apache etc., Hope this will be helpful to you.
Smile

Thank you k_s_baskar.

That page indicates that although the software is not the latest version, all of them sufficient for Joomla 3.0 compatibility.
Quote:
jazzman
Great question. It would be interesting to know how many folks here run Joomla 3.0 sites.
Peterssidan
Requirements for Joomla 3.x wrote:
Software____________________________________________Minimum
PHP (Magic Quotes GPC off)______________________________5.3.1+

The page that k_s_baskar linked to says it has PHP version 5.2.17 but I think that page is for server 1. I'm not sure if server 4 has a different version installed.
Qantas94Heavy
Peterssidan wrote:
Requirements for Joomla 3.x wrote:
Software____________________________________________Minimum
PHP (Magic Quotes GPC off)______________________________5.3.1+

The page that k_s_baskar linked to says it has PHP version 5.2.17 but I think that page is for server 1. I'm not sure if server 4 has a different version installed.

I don't think that's Server 1, I thought 5.9.39.72 was Server 1. Anyway, Server 4's phpinfo page is here. Oddly enough I couldn't manage to load the phpinfo page for Server 1, but I don't think there are any more requests for Server 1 available.
Peterssidan
I assumed it was server 1 because I thought frihost.com was on server 1.
johans
for PHP version in Server 4 here is the version as far as i know PHP Version 5.3.18. I hope that helps.
ibraltan1
There is a difficult question, a dilemma for the people who are using Joomla 2.5.
Is it worth migrating to Joomla 3.0?
There might be many problems you can encounter when you try to make your website fýnctiioning as in the level of Joomla 2.5.
But the superior sides of the new version that lare listed below can not be ignored.
So some level of courage and desire to spent effort are necessary. Smile

Joomla 3.0 is a whole new exciting world. We took a little from the top, bottom, and side to create a whole brand new look and feel, along with many features under the hood features that bring Joomla to the forefront of the content management system world.

Extensive work on code style standardisation and consistency
Incorporation of Bootstrap into a jui media package.
A new responsive administrator template Isis and interface.
A new frontend template Protostar built using Bootstrap and updated accessible template called Beez3
PostgreSQL Driver. You will be able to run Joomla 3.0 sites using the PostgreSQL database.
PHP Memcached Driver
Use of JFeed for feed management rather than SimplePie
Installation of language packages directly from the extension manager
Guest user group present by default
Saving blank articles allowed
New administrator statistics module
Update TinyMCE to version 3.5.6
Continued clean up of older unused code, files and database fields and tables and improved standardization of tables.
Improvements to Smart Search
Unit testing in the CMS
Updated system tests in the CMS
Limbless_One
jazzman wrote:
Great question. It would be interesting to know how many folks here run Joomla 3.0 sites.

I'll be running a Joomla 3 site here once my request gets accepted,
will be interesting to try it out, Very Happy
Sabbadon
2.5 is yet a long term service
3.0 is brand new and short term service

in my opinion it's better waiting to migrate and doing some tests in 3.0 while the stable 2.5 is up
Limbless_One
Sabbadon wrote:
2.5 is yet a long term service
3.0 is brand new and short term service

in my opinion it's better waiting to migrate and doing some tests in 3.0 while the stable 2.5 is up

Have been running joomla 2.5.8 for some time now...cant stop thinking i must give Joomla 3.0.11 a try ...so i will give it a try,
Am happy to try it out and see how well or bad this operates and send some feedback to the Dev's.
Very Happy
johans
I have developed a module for Joomla 2.5 and 3.0 called article scroller and i have found out that there is not much different on them when it comes to database structure; it is more on latest mysql and php version they are using. Also, more on mobile structure compatible.

As, of now i go choice a 2.5 since it is stable and it will probably end of support by March 2014.
Limbless_One
Have uploaded Joomla 3.0.2 to frihost sever and have tried adding "#php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off" to the htaccess file in several places and the Joomla installation still wont grant me a happy install Brick wall

Hopefully i have this sorted asap Razz
[EDIT] well every where i looked they said the best way to fix this problem is to talk to you're host ,
hope they can help in this little fix !!!!
Peterssidan
Limbless_One wrote:
Have uploaded Joomla 3.0.2 to frihost sever and have tried adding "#php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off" to the htaccess file in several places and the Joomla installation still wont grant me a happy install Brick wall

Try without the # (# makes it a comment).
Limbless_One
putting these code "php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off" in the "htaccess.txt" file does not work at all,
Scouring the web for more info ---- back soon Very Happy
johans
try install it on you local workstation first. Once done installation on your local workstation try to upload manually using ftp for files and restore backup your database- i think this will work.

After that, thats the time you play with your htaccess.
Limbless_One
johans wrote:
try install it on you local workstation first. Once done installation on your local workstation try to upload manually using ftp for files and restore backup your database- i think this will work.

i don't use a local workstation as of yet as i still have trouble setting one up.
johans
Limbless_One wrote:
johans wrote:

i don't use a local workstation as of yet as i still have trouble setting one up.

i think you need to set up that; in order for you to have successful output.
Limbless_One
johans wrote:
Limbless_One wrote:
johans wrote:

what is the best and easiest workstation to set up ?
johans
Limbless_One wrote:
johans wrote:
Limbless_One wrote:
johans wrote:

what is the best and easiest workstation to set up ?

Any workstation you can use. of-course must comply with the requirement of Joomla since that is your goal.
Limbless_One
Ok Gents...have in stalled "xampp" and joomla 3 installed nicely Laughing
Will upload this shortly.
thanks for all the advice Dancing

Well i must say i like the layout and style of the back end and i must say it will take me a little time to adjust to it, but i like it so far.
Once Joomla 3 is officially stable for live sites and the plugin's grow this will be an awesome bit of work.

Tried to upload (binary) my site so Frihost and no luck with it working..will try a different method tomorrow.
Sabbadon
Is there any way to contact an admin in order to turn magic quote off by default?
as it's written in PHP Manual http://php.net/manual/en/security.magicquotes.php

This feature has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0 and REMOVED as of PHP 5.4.0.

Thanks in advance
Limbless_One
been there done that ...circles ...all you all doing is making me go in circles , Why am i posting this ? Because it's my last avenue and all you want me to do is be redirected to were i've all ready been and tried and failed ...
starting to think frihost no good

Actually can some one in admin close my account pls
johans
Limbless_One wrote:
been there done that ...circles ...all you all doing is making me go in circles , Why am i posting this ? Because it's my last avenue and all you want me to do is be redirected to were i've all ready been and tried and failed ...
starting to think frihost no good

Actually can some one in admin close my account pls

if you want to close your account just leave it till it expires.

If you need special help in just PM me so that i can help you personally or If you need a special forum for Joomla just visit Joomla.org - for sure many joomla users around the globe can help you.

Good luck!
Sabbadon
is there any way to contact an admin and asking info about the possibility to disable magic quote ?
zimmer
Sabbadon wrote:
is there any way to contact an admin and asking info about the possibility to disable magic quote ?

You can post it at website topic or private massage bondings if you want to get him touch personally. Idea
avthai2013
Sorry, I'm the new comer to join FIRHOST,
Do the FRIHOST have the auto install of Joomla 2.5 ?

Thanks,
AV
johans
no, it doesn't have auto install.