FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Minus 2 On The Commute To Work Yesterday...

wellerchap
...is it cold where you are, or are you one of the lucky ones?

This is taken in my favourite spot on my journey to work...just outside my village, as the sun came up.

deanhills
Brrrrr ..... did you have to take your gloves off when you took the photie? Very Happy

Lovely shot. Looks amazingly peaceful and sparse in traffic.
watersoul
Nice shot Wellerchap.
Don't really get frost for more than a week or two perhaps in January. I've only ever seen snow settle on the ground here maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 22 years - always melting away in a few days.

Your wintry scene may be beautiful, but on Thursday I was working outside in a tee shirt feeling comfortably cool...I know which I prefer Wink

...oh, and them new wheels you got or just your daily workhorse?
Insanity
Beautiful picture! Looks super cold, but I imagine the great scenary somewhat makes up for it.
wellerchap
Thanks chaps - generally if the weather's one or two degrees above freezing I get to work (45 minute journey) OK....anything less than that and I get so cold at the finger tips I feel like my fingers are bleeding through my nails! Confused
I wear 2 pairs of gloves, but the cold cuts through eventually.
The scenery is lovely, but only for 2 or 3 miles between my village and Wakefield - from there it's built up all the way to Leeds.
The scooter is one I bought in Summer to use for work...I still have the Lambretas, though they both need a bit of loving care at the moment.
deanhills
The Scooter does look new indeed. Looks as though the tires have been polished as well? Cool
ocalhoun
wellerchap wrote:
Thanks chaps - generally if the weather's one or two degrees above freezing I get to work (45 minute journey) OK....anything less than that and I get so cold at the finger tips I feel like my fingers are bleeding through my nails! Confused

Around these parts, we put our open-air vehicles away during the winter... for good reason.
(Besides the cold, two-wheeled vehicles, (relatively) high speeds, and ice don't mix well.

Crazy Brits.
wellerchap
deanhills wrote:
The Scooter does look new indeed. Looks as though the tires have been polished as well? Cool

Sorry Dean, when I say "new" I mean new to me - the scooter was built in 1994, so is the most modern thing I own (of the 5)....it even has hydraulic brakes, as opposed to the drum ones of the Lambretta - meaning I actually stop behind slowing traffic.....and not have to swerve down the side of it Very Happy

ocalhoun wrote:
wellerchap wrote:

Around these parts, we put our open-air vehicles away during the winter... for good reason.
(Besides the cold, two-wheeled vehicles, (relatively) high speeds, and ice don't mix well.

Crazy Brits.

It's my wife's fault....she won't let me use the car - I think she's hoping for the insurance payout, one day Shocked
Josso
Amazing road surface, I haven't got anything like that for miles

Stuck basically atm but gritters have been meticulous luckily
wellerchap
Here's a couple more, from just around the corner!

deanhills
The bottom one is awesome. Love the contrast of all of the colours, also the depth of the photo. That tree is stunning. Cool
wellerchap
It's a double-edged sword....the cold weather freezing the trees/hedges, makes the place absolutely beautiful to my photogrraphers eye but it's flippin' cold sometimes!
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
It's a double-edged sword....the cold weather freezing the trees/hedges, makes the place absolutely beautiful to my photogrraphers eye but it's flippin' cold sometimes!
So do you wear fingerless gloves for taking photos in the cold weather?
wellerchap
No - I just whip off the ones I wear....take the shots, then put them back on again...the one real drawback is my fingers lose all their warmth they had 2 miles up the road at home, with still another 15 or 16 miles to go!
watersoul
Don't envy your temperatures fella, still haven't had any frost yet down south in Torquay.
Even this week with all the snow up your way, closed roads and power failures, I was working outside in a T-shirt for a couple of days. It has rained a bit since then, but it's not cold.

It's crazy how such a relatively small island like ours can have such extremes of weather within two to three hundred miles of each other. I'm just glad we get the warmer Atlantic fronts down here, call me a southern softy if you like, I'm happy to wear the badge!

...hope the snow isn't causing you too many problems at the moment though, genuinely, looks horrible on the TV news.