FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question on Overclocking RAM

Sh3raz
Hey people,

my motherboard says 1600MHZ is overclocking (M4N68T PRO). but I dont want to overclock. I have heard that if you just enter the memory into the slot without trying to overclock it uses at the highest it can? so 1600 ram being used at 1333 max in slot. is this possible?

I may upgrade my motherboard in the (relatively near) future which will have a higher speed, which is why Im asking

Thanks

PS is there even that big a difference between using 1600 and 1333?

tx
zaxacongrejo
4 x DIMM , Max 16 GB de memória DDR3 1800*/1333/1600*/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered
what memory are you using ?

your board reads 1800/333/600
this is not a board your should use to oc
Sh3raz
Im not trying to overclock on this board. im asking if I put higher clock (1600) RAM modules in my current board WITHOUT overclocking will it use the highest it can manage (with or without messing around in BIOS?) ? (1333 is the highest my mobo goes to without OCing)

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4N68T_PRO/#specifications
is what u looked at right?

because when I buy a new motherboard I want to be able to salvage the memory if I can..the new board will be able to use a higher speed (which would mean I wudnt need new memory aswell)

I am currently using: 4GB DDR3 667 MHZ (info from CPU-Z)
Ill be getting: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz
OR 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ (running at 1333MHZ)

i hope my post didnt sound snappish or I dint sound irritable, if so thats unintentional and am grateful for ure assistance Smile
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
OR 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ (running at 1333MHZ)

your board will run them at 1333 if you want to run them at 1600 you will have to oc them
lokk like the board does that auto

Quote:
because when I buy a new motherboard I want to be able to salvage the memory if I can..the new board will be able to use a higher speed (which would mean I wudnt need new memory aswell)
I am currently using: 4GB DDR3 667 MHZ (info from CPU-Z)

667 is ddr 2
1333 is ddr 3
not the same they will not fit

4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

you are right it looks like you will have to buy the 1333
Sh3raz
probably a different topic, but my motherboard is definitely takes only DDR3 (what motherboard it is is written on it aswell as on CPUZ). but CPUZ, in DRAM frequency says its 669.7MHZ and in slot 1 and 2 in SPD says "PC3-10700 (667 MHZ)"
perhaps its not set right? the company I bought off wernt exactly the most well known.
zaxacongrejo
dual channel 2 x669.7MHZ