FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to remove mobile viruses?

koolbluez
Recently while shifting items via bluetooth into my nokia 3230, i noticed some files by the names omlvxmp.sis, zx3li4bo4.sis in my phone...

Now my phone tries to send messages(i think mms) to my friends like ads...

What virus r they & what to do to prevent and eradicate them?
pixelsmack
i don't know how to eradicate it, however the .SYS is a symbian OS file which is the OS used on nokia phones i suggest you try researching that.
yoryenathan
wow thats like.. really weird..
but U can just check out the files u download (bdw where u downloaded that fiule from..?)

I can check it for ya.. and then just put it back but without this files you told us about.

right..?

Yorye Nathan
koolbluez
I deleted the files *.sis, but the problem still persists... unwarranted messages to my phone contacts...

Is there a mobile antivirus? If yes, can you tell me the best in the business...
progman89
TrendMicro has one:
http://www.trendmicro.com/form/mobile/download.asp

Also, I would try this totally free mobile scanner from Spybot S & D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/files/spybotsd.sis
koolbluez
any more... free ones...
koolbluez
any more... free ones...
koolbluez
any more... free ones...
koolbluez
How is Simworks?
I heard it is a mobile phone antivirus
Anyone tried it yet...
bananaphone
If you can flash the ROM chip with the latest updater
koolbluez
matlab?

what to do xactly?!!!!
Tom7
i didn't even know mobile viruses properly existed.
koolbluez
come on guys.. no one came across this problem!!!

I did try & install Simworks... but it shows NO VIRUS!!!

What is the problem? I'm still seeing the MMS messages in my OutBox sent to my contacts randomly...
arnaw_kumar
Try using Avirax'09 (Best detection rate), or panda security (for low end phones). They will work fine.
Pepperfan
koolbluez wrote:
any more... free ones...

Annoying!
Please, We are here to help. if we have anything we will say so.

Charles
sanalskumar
There are so many mobile anti virus software available. Light weight and affordable. Here are some...
McAfee virusscan mobile, Kaspersky anti virus mobile, Norton anti virus mobile, Com warrior AV, Panda Security for smartphones, Avira mobile AV, Bit Defender mobile AV, Guardian AV etc are some of them.

I suggest you to go to any mobile software download site and search for free Av or security tools. You will find tons and tons of stuff. Or if you are not able to find, PM me.

Happy hunting !!!
misterXY
sanalskumar wrote:
There are so many mobile anti virus software available. Light weight and affordable. Here are some...
McAfee virusscan mobile, Kaspersky anti virus mobile, Norton anti virus mobile, Com warrior AV, Panda Security for smartphones, Avira mobile AV, Bit Defender mobile AV, Guardian AV etc are some of them.

I suggest you to go to any mobile software download site and search for free Av or security tools. You will find tons and tons of stuff. Or if you are not able to find, PM me.

Happy hunting !!!

or reformat and sell it too someone and get a new phone muahaha Smile
aningbo
misterXY wrote:
sanalskumar wrote:

Happy hunting !!!

or reformat and sell it too someone and get a new phone muahaha Smile

sounds interesting.. sell it at a higher price in ebay hehe
smiteme
use a mobile antivirus. I tried fsecure somedays back. Other available antiviruses include avira, quickheal etc. If a virus is inside, just connect it to a data cable to PC and delete the virus file!
misterXY
Not sure, but Master Reset/Master Clear would remove these. Master Reset reset all settings, master clear... wipe the phone as new.. Used too be an Rogers wireless tech.. don't know if that's a GSM phone though/don't know much about symbian.. but iPhone has Restore option, Restore as new would remove this.. Master clear will wipe everything off the phone. l suggest googling it, and avoid star * keys as they're unreliable. General reset settings is usually Settings > Phone > Reset (either settings or all) or Settings > Reset > Reset All or Reset Settings. Sorry for such delayed post Sad
jdelfire
Alright this is the only thing that i can think off since you've tried using different antivirus

Format... i hate to do this with a PC but since this is a mobile it wont be a hassle for you to backup your contacts and files... if you could do that then we can proceed

my friend who works from nokia told me that it takes time for them to develop removal tools for viruses because before they release the software it needs to go through a beta testing...

Note: please backup your contacts and files

how to format?
method 1
Press *#7370# then it will ask the securtiy code. Key in 12345 if u havent changed it.
method 2
1. turn off your mobile phone
2. press and hold the following 4 buttons till the phones starts completely that hands comes.
first the green button use for accepting calls.
second the * key there on the keypad.
third the number 3 in ur keypad.
and finally the ON/OFF button on the top.

press and hold untill the phones starts by itself. it will take some more time to start in this way and remove ur memory card and do it.

NOTE: all the phone memory will cleared and ur phone will be as new.
misterXY
jdelfire wrote:
Alright this is the only thing that i can think off since you've tried using different antivirus

Format... i hate to do this with a PC but since this is a mobile it wont be a hassle for you to backup your contacts and files... if you could do that then we can proceed

my friend who works from nokia told me that it takes time for them to develop removal tools for viruses because before they release the software it needs to go through a beta testing...

Note: please backup your contacts and files

how to format?
method 1
Press *#7370# then it will ask the securtiy code. Key in 12345 if u havent changed it.
method 2
1. turn off your mobile phone
2. press and hold the following 4 buttons till the phones starts completely that hands comes.
first the green button use for accepting calls.
second the * key there on the keypad.
third the number 3 in ur keypad.
and finally the ON/OFF button on the top.

press and hold untill the phones starts by itself. it will take some more time to start in this way and remove ur memory card and do it.

NOTE: all the phone memory will cleared and ur phone will be as new.

How reliable is the star code...? The master clear (which is this starkey) is safer.
jdelfire
yah that's true... master key is safer... starcode sometimes it doesnt work for some reason...
FunDa
Remember to keep the phone fully charged or plugged in when doing the format.
I have formatted using the star code. There were 2 different star codes - one only resets to factory settings, the other does the formatting.

But talking about the bluetooth virus itself, I have had the experience of removing a bluetooth virus from a Nokia 6631 and a Nokia 6600
Both are symbian series 60 phones.

Symptoms are exactly like u described. If u go near the infected phone while ur bluetooth in on and visible, it sends u the virus file by bluetooth. If u reject the connection, it doesn't infect ur phone. But again after few minutes it sends request again. Also, the infected phone shows unsent MMS containing the virus. The MMS was not sent probably because MMS service was not activated for that network operator.

I tried installing antivirus to the phone, but somehow it was not working. Maybe the virus was blocking installation.

I used Taskspy (a symbian third-party software like taskmanager or process explorer in windows), to find the suspicious file and stop thee running process and used F-Explorer to delete the file.

After restarting, everything was back to normal.