FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Many freeware turning into aggresive shit installers

manfer
In last year or maybe some more many free software has turned into aggresive methods of forcing to install other software that comes with the installer. Really a shit. I have found more than one that don't have the option to disable the other software or they have it very difficult to do it.

I have never liked this since it started with less aggresive techniques. At first it was just an easy to uncheck checkbox. I never liked how those installer has those checkboxes checked to force people to install them accidentally.

But now it is really annoying and even I thing some software that use a installer that use this techniques to install software without user consent and without given the option to uncheck the software you don't want to install.

So which software would you totally not recommend to use anymore because of this?

I start with one that I always liked but I will not use anymore and will never recommend again to anyone. Don't use Izarc, they are using this kind of shit aggresive installer that even forces to install .net framework if you don't have it.
Peterssidan
I think you should be careful with all freeware that is not open source.
LxGoodies
Yep, seen it also. I even encounter it in my workplace.

It's not only apps. Freeware apps is one thing, but I find it even more nuisance, VERY irritating, that e.g. hardware drivers (printer drivers) nowadays are all placed inside "adware" stuff that comes along with the search engine you used to locate the driver. "Driver update agents" which scan your complete machine and send info back to the provider you get it from. When you start the executable, it won't even install a driver at first.. but it would start scanning and point you to other websites where it (could, won't, allegedly) be found. Meanwhile, you installed stuff (executable stuff) on your PC disk that could harm your setup, or unsolicited stuff pops up after the next reboot.

When I install a driver nowadays, I try to find a root .ZIP, locate the .INF file for my device, right click that, or let the hardware detection locate it. if it don't work, remove all. Don't run any foreign executables when it is not clear what they do..

Lx
manfer
Peterssidan wrote:

There are a lot of legitime freeware, or used to be. Freeware that used legitime ways to finance with donations or with suggestions to install other software on its installers but with easy to uncheck checkboxes that you could see at first glance (and the sofware they were recommending was not malware anyway). In fact even software from great software companies as Adobe with its flash player or adobe reader use it nowadays.

But many free software have turned into crap and they are even spreading malware.

Izarc used to be fantastic and probably the software itself continue being great but doesn't worth it now. I really recommend noone to continue supporting that software that is spreading malware.

For sure you know more software that has become into this policy. Those are the ones that we should stop installing at all.
twotrophy
I recommend doing a Google Search to see if a certain freeware contains viruses, worms, trojans, spyware or any other harmful code. Reputable free and open-source software such as GIMP, Opera and Firefox are definitely safe to download. Although modified versions of them may contain malware.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
Even when one is careful, one could still be caught. I was caught a few weeks ago. Can't remember what the software was, but I ended up with software that I never asked for. Worst part is that I still haven't been able to get rid of it. I deleted it in my applications and turned it off in my two search engines but it is still lurking somewhere.

In answer to Manfer's question, Adobe Flash Player stands out hugely for me right now with trying to flog Google Chrome and Toolbar as bundled in software. Adoble Flash Player comes up with frequent upgrade pop ups where it asks you to upgrade and then tries to force you into the bundled software without being transparent about it. Here is a discussion about it in an Adobe Forum:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4692105

I'll probably have to find out if there is a way past this, but I've ignored all of the last Adobe Flash pop ups for upgrading to Adobe Flash. I now as a matter of principle DON"T WANT Google Chrome nor its Toolbar. I just hate this kind of underhanded tactics of forcing someone into Google Chrome.

Manfer, do you know whether there is an alternative to Adobe Flash Player?
manfer
deanhills wrote:

Manfer, do you know whether there is an alternative to Adobe Flash Player?

As far as I know there is no alternative to adobe flash player.

As you already know flash player is just a viewer to see flash content on the web so if you want to have access to all that web content done in flash -and nowadays is quite a lot, games, media players...- you need the flash player installed. I don't know of an alternative flash player plugin for browsers.

There are alternatives for developers like Microsoft Silverlight (though is less used, I don't like any of Microsoft so I wouldn't recommend it) or HTML5 (though still is not a whole alternative, we need some more years to see this happen).

So as a user there is no way to get rid of flash.

As an example youtube sometime ago coded an alternative of their site in HTML5 for users that had not flash but they dropped it because they considered that HTML5 is not still an alternative to flash video streaming.

It is true that on every restart of system adobe flash player looks for updates but at least for me never on the upgrade process have tricked me into installing new software. In their download site on the other hand yes if you don't uncheck the boxes before download then it comes with other software.

This new aggressive way to spread sotfware is really a shit.

And I agree even being careful it is difficult, one needs a hundred eyes and nowadays it seems we can't trust any software company. Not to mention that one shouldn't need to be a computer expert to run a computer safely. Less experienced people get trickered into installing all this shit without their real conscious consent. Just annoying.
dude_xyx
Well None those software I used have this problem. I mean most software come bundle with stuff you can install along with those but you always have the option to take it or not. I can't think of any software which I have tried do something like force install any other rubbish software along with it. If OP or anyone else know any software which do this better share those here so we can avoid those.
manfer
Take in mind that this issue can be present in software you are already using but your computer not being affected by the issue. What I mean is that if you have installed one of this applications before they have added the installer that is bundle with all that crap then it will not affect you.

But any people that install the software now that it has that installer will be infected by all the crap the installer installs even without the user consent. So now we even have to be very careful with which software we recommend.

Another application that has included that kind of installer and for that reason has been turned into a malware spreader is jDownloader. Be careful.

This app is even open source.

The problem is that are not the free applications which are bad is that they have, for profit, come to an aggreement with an unhonest company that is responsible of an installer that recommends other software to be installed during the installation. This unhonest company is adding malware as suggestions in that installer. And even worst they have done the installer in a way that it has checkboxes to opt to not install those applications, so you uncheck them and you happily go on with the installation just to realize at the end that the software you didn't agreed to install is installed anyway.

Anyway being just the responsibles of the installer the real offenders doesn't change the fact that these freeware apps that have turned to use that installer are now guilty of spreading malware and so they must be considered. So be careful with these apps.
RosenCruz
Agreed. One has to be careful these days what to and what not to install. I recommend sourceforge for great open source freeware stuff with discussion boards and reviews Wink
darthrevan
Yeah I have noticed that download.com now includes their installer and if you don't pay attention, you will install spyware. What a piece of junk. Download.com use to be great but it is starting to go down hill in my books.
ocalhoun
In addition to that, what annoys me greatly is when they have you download and run a program that then downloads and installs the program you actually wanted in the first place.

I want the download to be managed by my various (well optimized) download managers, not theirs!
RosenCruz
ocalhoun wrote:
In addition to that, what annoys me greatly is when they have you download and run a program that then downloads and installs the program you actually wanted in the first place.

I want the download to be managed by my various (well optimized) download managers, not theirs!

Hahaha. Nice one. Many download sites also now force you to use their own downloaders for the particular thing you are downloading. I believe brothersoft does that and I never download stuff from them.
amagard
Adobe Flash Player is also guilty for installing McAfee Security Scan Plus, if you are not real careful. It is easy to overlook the little checkbox to prevent that.
My wife ended up having that installed on her computer as a second virus scanner and started wondering why her computer was getting so slow.
This goes beyond just being annoying ... Confused
Marcuzzo
recently I found out I had some spycr*p running on my machine.
I was getting a lot of Add's in my google search results and it showed the text 'SaveByClick'
I ran a search on this mallware and found out that this was installed by an opensource application I had recently installed, being PDFCreator.
they host their application on Sourceforge but they use a webinstaller that will download the malware.
manfer
Marcuzzo wrote:

...PDFCreator.
they host their application on Sourceforge but they use a webinstaller that will download the malware.

So another app that used to be reliable that joins those criminals spreading malware.

------------------------------------------

I wanted to add another example. This time is not a freeware app which added the shit installer that spread malware. It is a whole website that offers freeware that used to be reliable in the past, as they were just a place where you could download the oficial installers of freeware software. But now they offer a webinstaller of their own to install the freeware and that webinstaller spreads malware. The site that should be totally avoided now is CNET download.com

Here is a warning from the developers of the tool nmap that explains more in detail what these unhonest people are doing.

http://insecure.org/news/download-com-fiasco.html

Be careful and don't use that website anymore.
dude_xyx
We should keep list of regularly updated open source application list here.
manfer
These problem comes from a company called InstallCore. This company profit model is by offering an installer to software developers in which they include those other software recommendations. They accept payments from what they called advertisers to include their software as recommendation in the installer. They give part of the profit they get from those advertisers to software developers.

But it is obvious this InstallCore company doesn't mind at all if those, so called advertisers, that pay them to be included on the installer are criminals spreading malware.

So any software developer that has decided to make a deal with that InstallCore company are now accomplices on spreading malware.

Software developers are tempted for profit to join them and some have done so without knowing they were going to be part of that great scam.
dude_xyx
So open source become commercialized. Still most of the time you can stop these things installing along with the software by not deselecting the those toolbars and stuff when ask about it in middle of th installation process.
manfer
dude_xyx wrote:
So open source become commercialized. Still most of the time you can stop these things installing along with the software by not deselecting the those toolbars and stuff when ask about it in middle of th installation process.

No, I would say open source being UNHONESTLY commercialized. Because open source has always been commercialized. There is nothing wrong on commercializing open source and even free software. But always has been done honestly: selling support, selling a distribution in any media (cd, dvd, ...), selling customizations, selling enhancements, with donations, ...

But this commercialization by offering MALWARE (I must say is not always malware what is offered but that doesn't matter anyway) on the installer is UNHONEST and a huge issue for software distribution. At least for myself the trust on installers has dropped totally. I will not recommend anymore any software that is bundle with other software offers on their installers as it doesn't worth the risk.

I can take the risk myself but I can't put someone else into risk by recommending a software that maybe infects their computer with MALWARE and that there are chances he has not the knowledge to deal with such an issue.

This InstallCore people that had converted the installer into a monetization system and doesn't take care to take out of the system malware software had converted the installation of any Software that contains offers of other software into a russian roulette play. No way to trust those installers anymore.

Besides this hasn't anything to do with open source, let's not confuse. There are propietary software that were being distributed for free but not distributing the source, whose way of finance were donations, that now are using that monetization installer too.

It is true still MOST of the time you can decide not to install the offers, which is not enough to consider those installers secure anymore.
Nick2008
I've noticed that this practice has become more and more prominent across many freeware software installers. It's a form of advertising and obviously done to fund the software. Most of them do allow you to deselect those additional softwares, but I've also noticed that some will actually not give you the option to deselect because the other softwares are supposedly "bundled" with the installation. That's when it goes too far and I feel like it lowers the credibility of the software publisher when they engage in such practices.
rx9876
Nick2008 wrote:
I've noticed that this practice has become more and more prominent across many freeware software installers. It's a form of advertising and obviously done to fund the software. Most of them do allow you to deselect those additional softwares, but I've also noticed that some will actually not give you the option to deselect because the other softwares are supposedly "bundled" with the installation. That's when it goes too far and I feel like it lowers the credibility of the software publisher when they engage in such practices.

Some of them can't even be uninstalled.
When I try to uninstall the ad ware, it alerts that the software will be remove too.
It's the most annoying / aggressive case I found.