FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

joomla site on subdomain

skaprit
Hi,
I have created a subdomain in directadmin. So we have sfh.pritska.frihost.org
I want to have a website in that subdomain, rather than on the "root" www.pritska.frihost.org

Do I need to upload a fresh copy of the joomla cms into the subdirectory under domains to achieve this, or is there a way to copy from public_html into the sfh subdirectory, and somehow make a website visible by typing in sfh.pritska.frihost.org ??

THe aim is to have one site on www.pritska.frihost.org and then demo sites for potential customers on the subdomains.

Thanks Smile
rjraaz
No, You need not to upload fresh copy of Joomla. There is two way you can transfer your Joomla files and folders.

First one is that If you uploaded Joomla package as archived file (zip) earlier and have not deleted this file. You can extract this file to your sub-domain folder as you did earlier from main domain. Run web-installer of joomla.

Second one is that you can copy your existing Joomla folders and files from main domain.

For which you need to select those all folders and files by clicking on check-box in last column of file-manager first, for each of them.

After that click "Add to Clipboard" which is present before the "Filesystem Tools" and at bottom of page. By this all your folders and files would be copied into clipboard.

Now, you need to go to your sub-domain's folder which is in public_html folder of Domain (As in case of you it is "sfh"). At this page click on "Copy Clipboard Files Here" button. This will copy all the files and folders at current directory. And also delete "index.html" from directory as well.

Remember! Do not click "Move Clipboard Files Here" Button. Otherwise, it will delete all files and folders from Source location.

Now, After Copying All Files and Folders to the Destination Directory. You need to change Configuration for your site. For that you must need to change some variables in "configuration.php" file according to your new site.
Quote:
Code:

public $sitename
public $db   (Change this if you do not want use your existing database and already created new one for this.)
public $dbprefix   (Change this if you want to use your old existing database)
public $user And public $password (According to  your database setting)
var $log_path
var $tmp_path
var $ftp_root
var $live_site

But, As we are on shared hosting and with limited storage capacity, I would not prefer you this.

Instead of this you can use same installation for multiple domains.

For further details you can visit official document from Joomla. Multiple Domains and Web Sites in a single Joomla! installation

Or

You can use plugins like JWS Multisite etc. Here you can get complete list of such type of plugins there.

Hope This will helps you. And of-course you can ask for any further problems. Very Happy

Quote:
Sorry for my bad English and grammatical mistakes. If find any let me know this is the way you can say "Thanks" to me for my posts (If it really helps you.). And of-course helps me to improve my posting here as well. Also do not forget to change title of post by placing [Solved] at end of it. If you would get your problem solved.
skaprit
Thank you very much for your reply!

My websites will be very space efficient so I could try the copy n paste method.

I deleted the subdomain and it's folder and created a new subdomain called sfg.

In file manager:

CMD_FILE_MANAGER/domains/pritska.frihost.org/public_html/sfg has the following:

CGI-BIN
index.html

So, I don't know whether I should create ANOTHER public_HTML directory at this location for your method to work.

Or do I copy the files from CMD_FILE_MANAGER/domains/pritska.frihost.org/public_html

straight into the sfg folder? Note that hte SFG folder is WITHIN the public_html folder of my main domain (pritska).

Thanks
rjraaz
Oh Shit! Rolling Eyes

Sorry, I think there was some typing mistake. I have corrected my original post and for your reference quoting changes here again.

Quote:

Now, you need to go to your sub-domain's folder which is in public_html folder of Domain (As in case of you it is "sfh"). At this page click on "Copy Clipboard Files Here" button. This will copy all the files and folders at current directory. And also delete "index.html" from directory as well.

Remember! Do not click "Move Clipboard Files Here" Button. Otherwise, it will delete all files and folders from Source location.

Now, After Copying All Files and Folders to the Destination Directory. You need to change Configuration for your site. For that you must need to change some variables in "configuration.php" file according to your new site.
Quote:
Code:

public $sitename
public $db   (Change this if you do not want use your existing database and already created new one for this.)
public $dbprefix   (Change this if you want to use your old existing database)
public $user And public $password (According to  your database setting)
var $log_path
var $tmp_path
var $ftp_root
var $live_site
jazzman
Thanks for the very informational post. I will try this out as well. One more question...when I create a sub-domain can I then register a new domain on godaddy.com and point it to the sub-domain, so that it appears like its own website?
rjraaz
If you have a domain and want to use it exclusively for it. You don't need to use sub-domain. We have setting in DirectAdmin for adding our own domain.