FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to do an irregular crop using GIMP?

twotrophy
Does anyone know how to crop irregular objects using GIMP? I would like the area outside the cropped object to be transparent as well. Any advice on using the Paths tool? I tried using it but it is too difficult for me.
Peterssidan
Make sure the layer you are working on has an alpha channel. Use the path tool to mark the area you want to keep. Select Select > From Path, Image > Crop to Selection, Select > Invert and press delete on the keyboard.
johans
Peterssidan wrote:
Make sure the layer you are working on has an alpha channel. Use the path tool to mark the area you want to keep. Select Select > From Path, Image > Crop to Selection, Select > Invert and press delete on the keyboard.

correct.
or you can do select the image and transfer it to new sheet.
twotrophy
Thank you for your help. I found a informative video on how to crop using GIMP. You can watch this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw9zbeHEXY8 This video is very informative. I was skeptical about GIMP and other open-source software until I realized that the reason why I didn't like these software is that I didn't know how to use them.
deanhills
twotrophy wrote:
I was skeptical about GIMP and other open-source software until I realized that the reason why I didn't like these software is that I didn't know how to use them.
Laughing True, very true. My experience as well. I'm a great fan of GIMP, however still have lots to learn even after all of these years, and like you, some of my best learning has come with YouTube tutorials. Or just through trial and error.